The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 27, 1999, 09:20 PM   #1
HKKiddo

I am 15 years old and want to get into competition shooting. What classes are there for my age? What are the gun restrictions for those classes? (I have a HK USP 9mm stock right now, but might get a new gun for competition or upgrade)
Old December 28, 1999, 04:35 AM   #2
Ned Roundtree

As a minor you fall into a seperate category. This would be more dependent on your individual shooting club and range. And the rules that they have for minors shooting.In cowboy action, we require the presence of the parent or guardian each and everytime the minor shoots. We have about five juniors that shoot with us on a regular basis. There is a 4-H Shooting Program here, but they emphasize .22 rifle and .22 pistol. The last 4-H shoot here had 528 young shooters come out. Air pistol matches are popular. I was range officer at our state championship which had hundreds of young shooters over a two day match. Our last Glock Match (GSSF) had about a half dozen minor shooters with their parents present.I would check with my local club to see what is available. But whatever is, probably will require the presence of parent or guardian.
Old December 28, 1999, 09:19 PM   #3
Bubba

You may also want to check into any local IDPA clubs. We have a family that shoots with us on a regular basis; daughter is 14 and the son is 12. Great kids and are learning to handle those 1911s pretty dang well. In our Republic of Texas match, we even had a youngster of 10 shooting his Ruger MKII. Was he really competing? Not really. But was he having fun and learning about shooting under competitive pressure? You betcha.

Most clubs I have had the opportunity to shoot with are there to have fun. And bringing a well mannered young person along in the sport is a HECK of a lot of fun. Most of them will welcome such a young person with open arms.

And we got LOTS of shooters running that same USP in 9mm.

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper

[This message has been edited by Bubba (edited December 28, 1999).]
Old December 29, 1999, 01:59 AM   #4
HKKiddo

Thanks for the info guys, i plan on checking at the clubs and at a big competition place down in miami called markham park (they have it on espn for skeet, pistol, rifle, etc type competitions). Now I dont know if i should look into putting money into another gun or just "upgrade" my gun. I was thinking of having a Match Trigger installed, bar-sto 5.5" barrel fitted, new sites, extended floor plate, some hi-caps, all new springs, and having parts cryo freezed. My dad first gave me the idea to compete, because it was the third time i have been shooting (1st-used SW MDL 19 with .38 +p, 2nd-same mdl19 and little .22 SW 317, 3rd-my new USP and first time i used a semiauto) and i could outshoot my dad who is a certified marksman or sharpshooter or something. Made the x disappear very easily at 15 yards under rapid fire (i know it is an indoor range and i shouldnt, but it is so much fun scaring people never ever been shooting . There was this couple next to us who could hit the target with a mini glock, look like 26 and got so scared when i rapid fired and then made the x go away , they came and asked what i was shooting and thought it was a .45 ). Well anymore help would be appreciated thanks!

[This message has been edited by HKKiddo (edited December 29, 1999).]
Old December 29, 1999, 12:07 PM   #5
Ned Roundtree

I shoot fridays indoors with some bullseye shooters. They are very good. Their team came in first at Camp Perry. When they get bored, they have been known to punch out happy faces or Mickey Mouse head (complete with ears) inside of the bullseye with their lead. Me, I'm just happy to stay inside the eight circle.
Old January 2, 2000, 06:43 PM   #6
RustyRP

would you like some advice from someone who is 30 years old - twice your age?

unless you WANT to trick out your HK, your money would be better spent if it was invested in Dell computer, or in the market or something.

if you must buy something gun related, get another gun or more mags or somehting before you blow a lot of money on the HK

the gun works fine as it is - right? spending a pile of money is not going to return that much in the way of improved shootability or accuracy, is it?

with colt buying HK (and no more HK civie sales?) your gun becomes something of a collectors item.....

JMHO - good luck all the same Rusty
Old January 5, 2000, 08:00 PM   #7
HKKiddo

Id appreciate advice from anyone, any age. I do have money invested, most infact. I am think i will get a HK USP Expert in .45, not as a colectors item but as a competition gun.