The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 21, 2004, 04:43 AM   #1
Sir William

Mossberg 590A1-CAR stock, ghost rings?

I am thinking of a newer shotgun. Is there a CAR type buttstock option or aftermarket availibility? Does Mossberg offer ghost ring sights? Is there a front vertical pump grip available? What is the maximum capacity on these in 12 bore?
Old November 21, 2004, 10:56 AM   #2
Titus

You can see the options on this page of Mossberg's site. They do have ghost rings available. The 590A1 is a 9 shot model. Mesa Tactical has an adapter or several stock kit options with different stocks. You wouldn't be able to use the receiver rail with the ghost rings, but it seems like it would interfere with using the safety anyway. For a vertical fore grip, you could always start with this forend.
Old November 21, 2004, 10:39 PM   #3
Sir William

OK. Are 500s and 590s interchangable stocks? Most of the stuff seems to be for 500 Mariners. I am thinking of a 12 bore 590A1. I want a CAR buttstock with a Pachmayr finger groove pistol grip, a ghost ring sight set-up with a ventilated barrel shield and a heavy duty pump grip with a finger groove pistol grip forward. I really want a M4 style 12 bore.
Old November 21, 2004, 11:20 PM   #4
Titus

As far as I know, the 500 and 590 parts are interchangeable. One thing you might run into with that Surefire forend is that Mossberg has two lengths of forend tubes (the metal part the forend fits on). I bought a Surefire 623 forend for my 500 and the forend tube was the wrong length to fit. They're on Brownells as "Action Slide Tube Assembly" in 6-3/4" and 7-3/4". Of course, if you're not looking to spend that much on a forend, there's always something like this.
Old November 22, 2004, 02:48 AM   #5
Sir William

Thank you Titus! I used to carry a Mossberg 500 Cruiser in my truck. I sold the truck with the farm. I retired from the cattle. I wanted a newer shotgun. I got to thinking, why not get a brand I trust AND a tactical critter getter too? I appreciate your knowledge.
Old November 22, 2004, 11:00 AM   #6
Titus

You can always drop whichever companies you're looking at an email to verify the parts will fit too. One other Surefire related fit concern is the bayonet lug on the 590s. The standard 623 forend will not clear the lug, but I could swear they either do or did make a version of the 623 that would. But with they way you want it set up, that shouldn't be a problem anyway.

And don't forget to post pictures when you get it together!
Old November 22, 2004, 05:34 PM   #7
Mesa Tactical

Hi, I wanted to post a warning that ghost rings are not compatible with our current High-tube adapter line. The cheek weld is so high you do need the rail; you can't sight on receiver mounted ghost rings.

You could easily mount a ghost ring on the rail, but you still need a tall front post, which no one makes at this time.

We are working both on a Low-cheek line of adapters that can accomodate receiver-mounted sights; as well as a no-gunsmith solution for high front posts.
Old November 22, 2004, 06:14 PM   #8
Sir William

I can wait. I really like the HK 91/93 sights. I would think a larger aperture would work for quick acquisition in a 12 bore. I simply want a functional but, cool factor pump. I trust Mossbergs. The add-ons will be window dressing. My HD shotgun is a internal hammer 12 bore SxS EAA BHII 20". I keep #4s in it.