The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 17, 2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Dre

skeet/trap/sporting training

I was wondering how many rounds/shells do you guys use per your training session?
Old December 17, 2009, 03:35 PM   #2
LordofWar

I use to spend 400-600 shells a week when I was actually training.

Now its 50-100 rounds whenever I'm at the range.
Old December 17, 2009, 04:03 PM   #3
oneounceload

Since sporting clays is typically a 100 round affair, it would depend on how many times I shoot during a week. I also shoot 5-stand, and can shoot 4-6 rounds of that. So figuring one round of sporting and 6 rounds of 5-stand, that's a flat, or 250, cartridges per week
Old December 17, 2009, 05:02 PM   #4
BigJimP

The best practice I do for "sporting clays" is Skeet.

I normally shoot 4 - 6 lines of Skeet per range trip / so 100 - 150 shells. Then we follow up with 1 or 2 rounds of Skeet Doubles at stations 3, 4 and 5 so 50 more shells there.

If I practice more than 8 rounds a day ( or 200 shells ) / I find mental fatigue sets in ... and its lead downrange, but it isn't very productive. I don't shoot more than 1 or 2 days a week.

I don't find 5 Stand to be very good practice for sporting clays / although the target presentations can be similar -- 5 stand shots vary so much from station to station / its harder to groove your fundamentals at 5 stand vs Skeet where you get a lot of repetition ( stance, gun mount, focus, foot position, break point focus, follow-thru, etc ). 5 Stand is fun / I just don't think shooting 200 5 stand targets a week is the best practice / at least not for me.

When I was preparing for big tournaments / like our state sporting clays tournament - I would shoot 2 lines of regular Skeet, 2 lines of Continental Trap (with my Skeet and sporting clays gun - not my Trap guns ) and 2 rounds of Skeet doubles. It mixed it up / kept me mentally more alert and ready for a 4 day tournament.

When I go to a sporting clays shoot - one day event / I rarely go thru the course a 2nd time. When I have gone thru a 2nd time / I often miss the target I hit the 1st time because I lose focus and take them for granted / and I do better on targets I missed on the 1st round. I'm a B class shooter / averaging about a 72 ......so I'm no master class guy breaking 90's ....and I do it for fun anyway / but that's some of the stuff that works best for me.

I also don't shoot sporting 12 mos a year / its wet up here in the winter anyway ..... but I need a break mentally. I do better if I focus on a 6 month season ( Apr - Oct ) or so .... get my warm ups in, in March, then hit it hard in April .....
Old December 17, 2009, 09:56 PM   #5
the rifleer

well i go out with friends and we easily shoot about 400-500 rounds with about 5 guys, plus a bunch of pistol and rifle ammo as well, especially .22.

on my own i shoot anywhere from 25 to 75 shots. Occasionally i might shoot 100.
Old December 18, 2009, 01:41 AM   #6
zippy13

When I was shooting NSSA skeet, practice was typically 150 targets, 5-days a week. Most practice was 4 rounds of regular skeet with a .410-bore or 28-ga followed by 2 rounds of doubles with a 20 or 12-ga. Area tournaments were usually 8-rounds (200 targets) a day for 3 days.

When I was also shooting ATA trap, too. Daily practice was increased to 175 - 200 targets a day. One day would be mostly skeet and the next mostly trap.
Old December 18, 2009, 07:40 PM   #7
Dre

thanks guys for your replies...i'll start with 100-150 rounds(4-6 rounds)skeet/trap
Old December 18, 2009, 07:46 PM   #8
oneounceload

If you're not an experienced/prolific shooter, you might also consider spending a few rounds' worth of money on a lesson or two so you don't make some bad habits more permanent by practicing them
Old December 18, 2009, 09:08 PM   #9
Dre

oneounceload

We have free lessons in our club if needed...when I became the member (2 weeks ago) the president of the club spent 2 hours with me (explained all the bassics and shoot with me few rounds, he said that I need to shoot 1000-2000 shells more and then he'll show me the next step, he said that I am "natural" (I don't know what he meant)...Actually, I went shooting yesterday and I was a way better after dry-fire at home for a week, I was more confident and the gun wasn't heavy any more. I was breaking those targets automatically...I was so excited that I could not fall a sleep, I saw breaking targets in my head...Thank you guys a lot for all your tips and advises...

Tags
how many rounds , training