The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2013, 07:37 AM   #1
bubbacrabb

What to use first? 1lbs'ers or 8s?

So I bought up a ton of powder, primers, projectiles the past 2 years. Figured if 2012 was like 08 I would be ahead of the game, guess it turned out to be a good move even though it was late. I got a bunch of 1lbs bottles and 8 pounders of the same powder. Would it be smarter to use the 1's first? I literally might be good on some powders for the rest of my life. Like 231 I have over 25 lbs of it. I'm storing it in cool/dry places. I plan on loading up a ton and now I'll atleast go thru a few pounds of it real fast so that kind of made me think about trying to use up the big jug first.
Old January 25, 2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

I get 1 pound bottles of powder to see how they work. If I like it I get the bigger bottles. I keep one of the one pound bottles even when emptied. I keep it on the bench to remind me just which powder is in the measure. I also will pour the contents of the measure into that 1 pound bottle when I'm switching to another powder for a different load. My powder measure holds less that 1 pound of powder. When I start using that powder again the 1 pound bottle is the first I start using. I don't know if it is the right way to do things or not. It seems to work for me.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:06 AM   #3
bubbacrabb

Thats kind of how I've always done it, but now that I'm moving accross the country again I plan on not keeping any powder out in my garage on the bench. I just got so many 1lbs's because when I moved from AZ up to OR they only sold 1lbs bottles at the local place so I picked up a pound and primers on every pay check. I'm heading to my home Hoosier state soon and plan on doing a ton of shooting so I think knocking out the big jugs of powder first would be best. The smaller ones kept cool and unopened would probably be best. I'll probably shoot more now, but soon babies will be on the way and from what I hear from guys with experience them things take up a lot of time so I better get all the shooting I can before the stork comes.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Wyoredman

So, you're the reason I can't find any 231?

I don't think it really matters which you use first, but I would suspect that finding a place to keep the 8lb-ers long term would be alot easier.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:16 AM   #5
serf 'rett

There can be some small variations between lots of the same power. Don't know if you are into precision or plinking. Personally, I prefer working up a load from a larger batch of powder when I can. This allows loading many rounds without retesting. Practically, I buy one pound to see if I even want any more of that particular powder.

If I had one 8# and eight 1#, I'd likely use the 8# first, then dump all the 1# bottles into the 8# container and blend/mix if I knew I would be using the powder soon. Then I would keep one of the 1# bottles as my working container, which would be filled from the blended 8# container.

Might not be such a good idea if you're about to be birthing babies though?

Last edited by serf 'rett; January 25, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old January 25, 2013, 12:24 PM   #6
velillen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misssissippi Dave View Post
I get 1 pound bottles of powder to see how they work. If I like it I get the bigger bottles. I keep one of the one pound bottles even when emptied. I keep it on the bench to remind me just which powder is in the measure. I also will pour the contents of the measure into that 1 pound bottle when I'm switching to another powder for a different load. My powder measure holds less that 1 pound of powder. When I start using that powder again the 1 pound bottle is the first I start using. I don't know if it is the right way to do things or not. It seems to work for me.
Pretty much what I do. Keep a 1lb of each type since they are easier to handle than a full 8lb jug
Old January 25, 2013, 02:08 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

I use 1-pounders first. Then, I'll add new lot number in some obvious manner and refill the 1 lb container from the 8-pounder. It's easier to handle, and minimizes the number of times I open the 8 lb jug.
Old January 25, 2013, 04:33 PM   #8
hooligan1

I usually only use 1lb cans, and I wish I could afford 8 lb'ers, but the little women just can't understand why our extra money has to buy 8 lb cans instead of 1 lb'ers, and I explained in detail how you can save buying in bulk....
Then she says well take that 25.00 and buy a bigger jug!!!!
I'm setting pretty nice right now and for a while.
Old January 25, 2013, 07:51 PM   #9
dickttx

I do as FrankenMauser. I only have one 1# can that I bought to try HP38. I liked it so well I have bought three 8# jugs since. Being old and fumble fingered I keep my using stock in the 1# cans. Figured if I used the 8# enough I would eventually spill it. I put a label on the 1# with the date I acquired the 8#, which is also on the 8# jug. I don't have to open the large jug very often (only eight times).
Old January 26, 2013, 01:41 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

One thing I forgot to point out earlier-

Minimizing the number of times I open the 8-pounder also minimizes the chances of contaminating the powder, should I, for some reason, have a complete mental failure and decide to do something like dumping some H110 into a jug of W780.

Should that ever happen, I'd much rather throw out 1 lb of powder, than up to 8 lbs.
Old January 26, 2013, 04:12 AM   #11
bubbacrabb

Thanks guys. I've loaded for a while now, just never had this many components at once which is why I was curious on which ones I should use first. Usually I'd use what I need and when I needed more I'd just go buy more. Just hard to do that now,and as we can see now its pretty insane. As far as mixing powders, I load out in the garage. I dont keep powder out there, so I only bring out one bottle at a time. I keep powder in a closet in my gun room. So that helps me not mix anything.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:18 AM   #12
hooligan1

When I load I set the 1lb can right in front of my Uniflow on the bench, so when I'm done loading I pour back into can that's setting on bench, because I'm prone to "mental failure" that's just one way I can eliminate catastrophe!
Heck right now I couldn't probably find my powders in 8 lbers......
Old January 26, 2013, 04:05 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

I do the same, hooligan.
One type of powder on the bench, at a time.
Everything else is in the storage room.

But... I like having redundant safety measures in place.