The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2014, 09:43 PM   #1
acdundore

Reloading 22-250, cases sticking in sizing die?

I am sort of new to reloading, only have loaded about 500 or so 9mm. I just bought all the supplies to start reloading for my 22-250 (h414 powder, RCBS die set, hornady one shot case lube, etc.) and I have read up on all the basics of rifle reloading. Also, before I continue, I'm reloading on a hornady lock n load AP progressive press. So today when I was setting up the dies, I lubricated one of the empty cases and sent it through the sizing/depriming die, which resizes both the neck and body of the case. It got stuck and took a ton of force to get the case back out. I researched the problem online and it seemed that I didn't lube it enough, so I really sprayed the case the next time, like down the inside of the neck and everything, then lightly wiped it down with a rag and sent it through. It didn't stick as much as the last time but it still wasn't very smooth... I had similar problems when reloading the 9mm rounds in the past.

So my question is, do I need different lubricant, more lubricant, did I set up the dies wrong, or anything else? I'm not sure what to do and any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old June 2, 2014, 09:55 PM   #2
AllenJ

What brand of spray lube?
Old June 2, 2014, 10:33 PM   #3
acdundore

Hornady One Shot
Old June 2, 2014, 10:36 PM   #4
Jim Watson

You are supposed to let it dry. Did you?

I use Imperial for heavy sizing.
Old June 2, 2014, 10:49 PM   #5
acdundore

No, I did not, that might be the problem. But I have heard that one shot isn't very good, and imperial wax is.
Old June 2, 2014, 11:27 PM   #6
Vance

It has been a mixed bag with one shot. Some have had problems with it, some have not.

You only need a light spray of it, then let it dry for 10 - 15 minutes, then try it.
Old June 3, 2014, 07:13 AM   #7
Jim243

I use Lee's Resizing lubricant (9 years), about 1/8th oz in a plant spray bottle mixed with alcohol. Spray it on the cases and let sit for 5 min, alcohol will evaporate and leave the cases completely lubed. Make sure the plant sprayer is sealed after spraying and it will last for a very long time and many many cases.

Jim
Old June 3, 2014, 08:20 AM   #8
mehavey

Quote:
do I need different lubricant,....?
Yes (a big fat yes !)

Got get some RCBS Case Lube (squeeze bottle). Put a "dab" (small dab) on the
first case spread with your fingers, and go ahead and size immediately.
(You'll feel the dramatic difference).

Use what's left on your fingers for the next "several" cases as you resize those.
(Then another "Dab'll Do Ya" for succeeding cases.)

Personal Opinion #1: I've got/used Imperial sizing wax. RCBS case lube's still superior
Personal Opinion #2: Throw the 1-Shot in the trash.

Professional Opinion #3: For the straight-wall pistol cases (i.e., the 9mm), get a carbide sizing die and you won't need lube for those.

Last edited by mehavey; June 3, 2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old June 3, 2014, 08:48 AM   #9
AllenJ

I've heard enough bad about One Shot that it is not something I would trust. I've used RCBS case lube and applied it with their case lube pad since I started reloading in the 70's. The only problem I experienced was putting to much lube on and getting case dents in the shoulder. Once I learned just how little was actually needed I've not had any issues.
Old June 3, 2014, 09:54 AM   #10
Jim Watson

I have used One Shot for full length sizing of .223s going back into the same AR for reliable function and .40-65s going back into the same single shot for black powder clearances. Also on pistol brass, carbide sizing dies and all, for easier operation of progressives.

I use Imperial for the tougher jobs.

Rooster used to have a high rated sizing lube but I notice they are nearly defunct.

I think I have some smelly RCBS around here someplace or maybe I threw out that old roll pad when I moved.
Old June 3, 2014, 10:28 AM   #11
eldermike

One shot is ok but one shot is not enough. Let it dry and then two shot it and let that dry. With that said I use imperial wax on most cases and one shot is quick to do inside the necks.
Old June 3, 2014, 12:37 PM   #12
William T. Watts

RCBS Squeeze bottle, messy but it works!!/ 2nd carbide sizing die too!

I agree with Mehavey totally, anytime someone complains about stuck cases it usually involves a spray product. Sometimes you can't cut corners and this is one of the major problems people have!! I've never had a stuck case, I've always used RCBS case lube for more years (about 45) than I care to admit too!! William
Old June 3, 2014, 03:05 PM   #13
stubbicatt

FWIW the only cases I have stuck have been with One Shot.

To OP, maybe try a different lube. I have found the lanolin lubes to work well, Imperial Sizing Wax, and Lee toothpaste tube lube.

Good luck.
Old June 3, 2014, 05:51 PM   #14
SVTCobra306

I use the RCBS lube and lube pad, has worked flawlessly for me for all rifle rounds from .223 and .22-250 up to 8mm Mauser so far, it works very well. I don't dent case necks or shoulders, and I don't stick cases.

I resized some PPU .243 Win last night, they sized hard enough to make things fall off my bench, but they didn't stick with the RCBS lube
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old June 4, 2014, 05:24 PM   #15
geetarman

I use the Dillon spray case lube. I lay out the cases on a terry cloth towel and spray them pretty good and then roll them back and forth to get the whole case lubed. Let them sit for a few minutes and then you are good to go. My fingers are usually oily enough to wipe a finger tip over the mouth of the brass to ease the expander ball into the neck. Although I use a carbide ball, a little lube helps a lot. After all are sized, they get tumbled again to get rid of the lube. Then I am ready to load them.

Carpe Cerveza
Old June 4, 2014, 09:31 PM   #16
acdundore

Thanks guys! I went and bought some rcbs case lube and the lubing tray today and it really works wonders! I havent even had anything close to a stuck case!
Old June 4, 2014, 10:22 PM   #17
BuckRub

read the instructions or see a Youtube video for RCBS. Dont use too much, rifles it could cause denting or buckling. and that little bottle has lasted me so far for about 12 years on this one and thats tons of shells and I hardly went down about 1/8 of the way down. If used right you'll love it and never have any problems.
Old June 5, 2014, 09:00 AM   #18
hooligan1

RCBS Case Lube, is all I use as well. I've used it since I started in early 80's. And I am still using original bottle that hasnlubed thousands of bottlenecked cases from .223 - 7mm rem mag flawlessly, no stuck cases ever...
Old June 6, 2014, 02:42 PM   #19
HiBC

The old pad lube works very well.

I have not tried the Hornady lube,but,for me,RCBS spray lube has been great.

I have a qty of brass in a tub or coffee can,spray,then shake it around to spread it.Then do that again.Pull some samples,feel them.If they are not dry,you are fine.

Now,you must give it some time for the volatile carrier to evaporate.If you do not,you will have problems.

Myself,I do not use the lube pad anymore.
Old June 7, 2014, 01:26 PM   #20
loademwell

I reload for a 25-06 every once in a while. I think I had a prob. with this round too getting a bit stuck. I found that for me it was getting stuck from the neck sizeing...

I use any lube that comes in a toothpaste can or a small oil bottle. Never tried airisol cans.. Oh, and a lee lube pad...
1. Lube the case by rolling about 8 at a time back and forth
2. Put some lube on your index finger and thumb. Rub the necks of the case
3. (this is the part I was missing) q tip with lube and spin them around inside of the mouth of the case.
4. let dry for a few min. then send them through the press....

Should be good to go if you do these stages.
By the way, you can wet tumble after right after resizeing but I don't bother...
Old June 7, 2014, 08:15 PM   #21
snuffy

Quote:
I researched the problem online and it seemed that I didn't lube it enough, so I really sprayed the case the next time, like down the inside of the neck and everything, then lightly wiped it down with a rag and sent it through. It didn't stick as much as the last time but it still wasn't very smooth...
Please explain why you wiped the freshly applied lube off!? That was your mistake. One shot needs to dry first and NOT be wiped off.

RCBS makes several different types of case lube. The pump spray works great, it's simple lanolin in an alcohol carrier. The RCBS II is,,,--- well I don't know-- maybe some type of wax? Then some claim they have an oil based lube for lube pads made by RCBS?

I've been using the midway spray stuff for years, same as the RCBS spray.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 9, 2014, 08:05 AM   #22
MDM

I've tried the spray lube and didn't like it. Had the same issues. The old RCBS lube and pad just works. It is messier than I like but I take care to wipe everything off as I'm loading.
Old June 9, 2014, 08:06 AM   #23
MDM

Still on the original bottle since about 2004 too.
Old June 9, 2014, 10:36 AM   #24
44 AMP
Staff

I used the old Lyman (later RCBS) tube lube and pad for decades. Worked fine, BUT the pad always picked up every tiny little piece of grit within a half mile radius.

Changed to the RCBS stuff in the pump bottle. Love it. Works great. I lay the brass in a shallow box (I use a model kit box top), give a few pumps till the look wet. Wait a bit, stir them around, repeat. Wait a bit, then size.

I'm on my second (or maybe third) bottle (I've reloaded a lot...) of the RCBS and its great. I do have a spray can of Lyman, and one of Hornady, but haven't used them, (they're back ups) so I can't speak to how well they work, personally, at this time.

Get the RCBS pump lube an you won't be sorry.
Old June 10, 2014, 05:22 PM   #25
Bucksnort1

Reloading

I agree with Mehavey. I do not lube with sprays. I use non-spray lubricants and I use pure lanolin. I let my fingers do the lubing when I handle the cases. Don't lube too much because you will create fluid pressure in the re-sizing die that may crinkle the shoulder of bottle neck cases. If you do this, you will likely not be able to re-re-size to remove the crinkle but what you can do is fire the case and reform it in the rifle chamber. The case may not have as long of a life as one that is not crinkled.

You can buy lanolin at health food stores for $3 or $4 for a container that will probably last a life time. Don't add anything to it. Snuffy eluded to lanolin in someone's spray lube. Pure lanolin will become milky in appearance and more viscous if it becomes cold but a few minutes between your legs while you are prepping for reloading will remove the milky color. It's just the nature of the beast but it is a good lubricant.

Tags
22-250 , hornady , lock n load , reloading