The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 18, 2015, 01:57 AM   #1
Blacksun

Looking for your opinions

Hello all,

I will start by saying I appreciate anyone who responds, Thank you ahead of time. Here is my issue, I am a DIE HARD Leupold guy. Very much set in my ways ( so I thought). I am a full time Private Military Soldier and Wildlife Protection Agent I work primarily in Africa. I have read the hundreds of arguments on this forum regarding optics. That is not what I'm trying to achieve with this post. I have always depended on Leupold because I've never had one let me down on any mission, in all types of hostile environments wether the environment be an active hostile environment of unrest or under severe and extreme inclement weather conditions. From dust and sand storms to pouring rain, high humidity and 125+ degrees. I am a MIL shooter from turrets to reticle. Leupold has always been right on target for me. I am NOT a bench shooter. I train in the exact way I work so all of my LRTI ( Long Range Target Introdiction) weapons are set up exactly the same in multiple calibers. So now this is where you guys come in.

I had a chance to shoot a night force 5-26x56 on a .308 Rifle this last week. I can't say I wasn't impressed but there were a few things I didn't care for.

1) does night force come in Mil reticle and turrets? The weapon I fired was in MOA 1/4 inch clicks.
2) does night force come or do they make an anti glare honeycomb to kill light reflection on that big piece of 56mm glass?
3) do they come in FFP ? The one I shot was SFP.
4) is the glass worth he price tag? Does it scratch easy ? Does it hold a zero under EXTREMELY hostile conditions?
5) does it hold up to environments such as heat cold storms sand humidity etc.
6) are these optics tactically sound, I guess is my biggest question.
I have a few more questions but these will do for now.

Thank you anyone who replies, I have read a ton of stuff on the net but there always seems to be allot of arguing or company claims for advertising purposes. I just want to hear the straight truth from those who have made the switch or have real world experience with the Noght Force optics. I've been looking at numerous models nothing is really jumping out at me I could use a suggestion or two In that department as well. I wish I could find a 5-32x56 on MIL with MIL turrets.
The moment you stop asking questions and seeking answers. You have fallen in to the 99% who falsely believe they have mastered their craft. Vanity and ego are are the sign of the weak minded and are the killer of great potential. ~ My Dad
Old April 19, 2015, 02:06 AM   #2
Blacksun

Did I ask the wrong question???
The moment you stop asking questions and seeking answers. You have fallen in to the 99% who falsely believe they have mastered their craft. Vanity and ego are are the sign of the weak minded and are the killer of great potential. ~ My Dad
Old April 19, 2015, 07:26 AM   #3
Nathan

1) they can be bought mil/mil
2) not sure
3) they come in FFP

You have good questions and every review I've read is positive, but I have not personally used one, so I will withhold comment.
Old April 19, 2015, 07:48 AM   #4
skizzums

I cant answer all your questions, but as for "tactically sound", they make their optics to specifications of u.s. military, so I can assume they can hold up to extreme abuse. you can get mil reticle. I don't know if "nightforce" themselves offer a kil flash, but they di make them for their scopes, try here: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/634...-not-benchrest

heres a q&a from nightforce, of course they will make them sound like they are made of diamond, but maybe will answer some questions
http://nightforceoptics.com/military/faqs/
Old April 19, 2015, 07:49 PM   #5
4runnerman

IMHO- While leo's are good scopes, maybe even great scopes, They are not even in the same playing field as Nightforce scopes. I say you try one of your liking and see for yourself. The good thing about Nightforce is-If you don't like it-advertise it and watch it sell in one day. It has basically become the #1 Scope there is now. I could be wrong here, but I believe Nightforce is what the military uses now too.
I will add I do not own a Nightforce scope, but have had the pleasre of shooting a few rigs with them. While I have had a few leo's and am very happy with them, ( was happy with them). I just feel the Nightforce was a better scope. They are a heavier scope then most.

Last edited by 4runnerman; April 20, 2015 at 05:56 AM.
Old April 19, 2015, 11:18 PM   #6
Snyper

Quote:
Did I ask the wrong question???
There probably just aren't that many who have them considering the wide variety in scope choices, and probably half the responses will be "fan boys" who bought one, so they will naturally claim they are superior even if they really aren't
Old April 20, 2015, 03:44 PM   #7
Jay24bal

They are also one of the priciest scopes out there, so a lot less people own a Night Force than do a Leupold, Vortex, Nikon, etc.

I for example would love a Night Force, but can not justify the extra expense. My long range rifles are not used in life and death situations like yours are, so I stick with Vortex (not a knock on Vortex, I love them) as I can get all the performance I need from them to shoot paper at 1,000 and under.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old April 20, 2015, 04:22 PM   #8
4runnerman

jay24- Same reason I don't own one. If you want to make Nightforce look cheap- Check out March scopes. Makes the nightforce look more realistic.
Old April 21, 2015, 05:45 AM   #9
cryogenic419

I have had a NXS 5.5x22x56 on my Rem 700 .308 for about 4 years now.

Last I knew you could get any reticle/knob combo you wanted, meaning you could get a MOA reticle with MIL knobs or vice versa or knobs that match your chosen reticle. I know if you decide a few years down the road you want to go from a MIL setup to MOA, you can send into Nightforce and they will change it over.

They don't come with the honeycomb nor do they sell them as an accessory, however you should be able to find aftermarket ones with ease.

They only have one FFP model that I am aware of.
http://nightforceoptics.com/military...xs-riflescope/

When I was scope shopping I looked through a lot of high dollar scopes. I thought the glass was one of the better ones out there. Did I see better glass, I sure did and you can also expect the price to jump exponentially for that privilege. I haven't had any scratching issues as of yet. I have not had any issues with holding zero, all my clicks to different distances have held solid.

I've had it out in 90+ degree super sunny days and 20 degree winter days, no issues as of yet. Mind you its seen more warmer days than it has cold.

I'm not in combat conditions so can't truly answer is it tactically sound. I can tell you this scope has not given me a single problem. When shopping there was a definite noticeable weight difference between this and other scopes that were about the same size, it felt solid. When you adjust the knobs, you feel every click. My only real complaint is the way that the eyepiece rotates to adjust magnification it can make using flip up caps a little awkward but doesn't interfere with the operation of the scope, but if you aren't using the flip up caps it won't be an issue. Beyond that one little thing not one ounce of buyers remorse.
Old April 21, 2015, 01:57 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...Did I ask the wrong question???..." Hi. Look at your clock. Currently 8:50 PM in JoBurg. I'm in London, Ont., Canada.(directly North of Pittsburgh, PA USA by 350ish miles). It's 2:57 PM.