The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 6, 2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Coach Z

Tips or upgrades on a new shotgunner with an 11-87

So I have several HD shotguns but I just purchased a Remington 11-87 with a 28" barrel and plan on shooting skeet for the first time in a few weeks.

Any upgrades I should be looking it to improve the learning curve? Sight beads, different cheek pad etc?

Also wondering if I should be purchasing any additional chokes for the gun.

While I've done tons of shooting over the years I'm feeling a little intimidated by diving into an entirely different discipline!

Thanks for the help
Old September 6, 2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Virginian

If you're going to shoot skeet, get a skeet choke. The best thing you can do is buy some shells and start shooting them.
Old September 6, 2013, 09:14 PM   #3
allaroundhunter

Tips or upgrades on a new shotgunner with an 11-87

BA/UU/R

(Buy ammo/ use up/ repeat)

Seriously though, an IC and skeet choke is about all you need. I like fiber optic beads, but some don't like a bead at all. You have to shoot to figure that stuff out.

Nothing will make you a better shotgunner than just getting out and busting clays regularly.
Old September 7, 2013, 06:12 AM   #4
BigD_in_FL

DON'T get new sights; even better remove the one on the gun. With skeet, trap, sporting clays, FITASC, 5 stand or Helice, your focus is on the target, NOT the sight. You do NOT aim the gun like a rifle, you point using your hands and eyes to guide the muzzle where it needs to be.
Keep the gun moving
If you are still missing behind (number one way to lose the bird) try missing in front

Remington has a brochure here that explains the basics, including foot positioning and how to attack the targets from each station
Old September 7, 2013, 06:55 AM   #5
Virginian

I would hold off on the removing the existing sight. The vast majority of shooters do leave the bead(s) on there. You don't sight like a rifle, but your eye does need to see a consistent sight picture and the bead is part of that frame of reference. If after a time you decide you want to try that you can, but don't try to start by reinventing the wheel.
Old September 7, 2013, 08:05 AM   #6
johnwilliamson062

I wouldn't remove the sight either. You don't focus on it like quite the front sight of a rifle, but it is important IMO.

I had an 11-87 I used for trap and clays. The only modification I liked was a combat bolt handle. The gun was doubling as my HD gun at the time and that is why I bought it, but I found it was fairly convenient with the amount of hand cycling the action I was doing during sport shooting(unloading, reloading, etc).
No, it didn't improve my scores any.
Old September 7, 2013, 10:48 AM   #7
SauerGrapes

If your going to shoot skeet on a real skeet field at a local gun club, get your self a shell pouch or vest for shells and empties.
If you have a skeet choke, all that gun needs is a shooter behind it.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old September 7, 2013, 01:12 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

You guys are missing my point - that is you need to have ALL of your focus on the target, NOT the bead - not even in your peripheral vision because then your brain will try to outthink what needs to be done. Pick a spot on the wall, close your eyes and point your finger at where you think it is. open your eyes, and your pointing finger should be pointing right at it - no sight needed. The same analogy applies to shooting clay targets. With a gun that fits and total focus on the target, you move the gun to your break point and let your hands and eyes do the work, not some bead on the end of the barrel.

I had a bead fall off one gun during a shoot and never knew it until later when I was cleaning the gun. The more you try to keep the bead in the picture, the more you will be going back and forth between the bead and the bird and that spells disaster as you now doubt the lead your eyes and hands had determined
Old September 7, 2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Virginian

I have heard the bead/no bead argument lots of times. I think it is purely personal preference. George Digweed still has the beads on his and that's good enough for me.
Old September 8, 2013, 05:32 PM   #10
shortwave

I would leave sight alone as well.
Old September 8, 2013, 05:50 PM   #11
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
I have heard the bead/no bead argument lots of times. I think it is purely personal preference. George Digweed still has the beads on his and that's good enough for me.
And he shoots fixed Full and Full chokes as well - ask him if he even SEES his beads..he may not remove them, but he also doesn't USE them - which was my point that so many seem to not grasp
Old September 8, 2013, 07:25 PM   #12
Virginian

I get your point. My point is you do not need to take them off.
Old September 8, 2013, 09:15 PM   #13
BigD_in_FL

Never said you HAD to take them off - it was an analogous statement meaning don't worry about them or get those stupid neon glow pipes, and spend your time focusing on the target
Old September 9, 2013, 12:55 AM   #14
Bake

First thing to do is pattern your gun. The pattern broad/plate is your friend. Try patterning around twenty five yards. Remember, you shoot skeet on your half of the field...

Buy lots of cheap shells, 1-1/8 oz., #8's, or #9's if you can find them.
Old September 9, 2013, 05:52 AM   #15
Virginian

Quote:
..don't worry about them or get those stupid neon glow pipes..
I am with you on that!
Old September 9, 2013, 09:55 AM   #16
Fishbed77

I have a 1993-manufactured 11-87 Premier with a 28-inch Light Contour barrel that was my first shotgun (actually it was the first gun that was all my own - a birthday present from my parents for my 15th birthday).

The other day when I was dove-hunting with it, I realized that it was 20 years old. In all that time, it has never once malfunctioned. Bottom line to the OP is that you made a good choice for an all-around shotgun. It is a gun I will never sell.

I've used mine on numerous occasions to shoot both skeet and trap, and it is just fine for those roles (obviously, you are going to use a more specialized gun if you want to be a top competitor). As others have mentioned, I wouldn't make any modifications to the gun, other than maybe installing a skeet choke. I certainly wouldn't remove the bead(s). No, you don't look at them when shooting skeet, but I find them useful for properly indexing my cheek weld/ hold on the gun, especially after I haven't shot for a while.

Last edited by Fishbed77; September 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old September 9, 2013, 11:06 AM   #17
BigJimP

Just go out and have some fun .....make sure you understand the clubs rules on loading only when you're on the shooting station, locking back your action as you move around, no shells in mag when you're moving around the club, etc.....and just shoot it as is for now.

I would recommend some extra screw in chokes ....I would have a Skeet or Cyclinder choke, an Improved Cyc and a Mod as a minimum....and maybe add an Imp Mod and a Full ( but the Mod will be tight enough for 90% of your shooting probably).

Pick up some target shells... 8's or 9's ....and make sure the gun is clean and properly lubed so it operates 100%.
Old September 9, 2013, 03:19 PM   #18
zippy13

The first "Skeet" extra I got for my Rem auto was a shell catcher. The next accessory was some weight in the mag tube to steady its swing and reduce kick. Compared to an O/U, an auto doesn't swing as smoothly.

I only use the sights to verify gun position/mount. If you barrel doesn't have a mid sight, get one or a "Skeet" barrel. Big D is correct about not using the sights to aim at the target. You should be looking at the target, not the gun. I know several shooters who have removed their sights, as a training aid, to force them to look at the target. I don't recommend it to the new shooter.
Old September 9, 2013, 03:45 PM   #19
eastbank

i like the fiber pipes and a morgen adjustable recoil pad, i,m no newbi and i,m no expert, but i do notice the sight and as my gun shoots 70-30 when the clay and sight merge i,m on the trigger and i shoot with a loaded trigger(right up on the breaking point). last time out on a regular trap range i ran 97-100 with my BT-100, i have shot 95-100 with a old rem TB set up the same way,also with a rem 1187 deluxe.i have done that several times but no 100 yet. i load with a 9000g and just bought a 9000gh but have not set it up yet,i,m not so sure it will be that much faster with me operating it.my final thought is just go shoot and enjoy your self and have fun, i quit shooting the rifle silhouette games as people were getting mad and just ruining it for those who were their to have fun and enjoy shooting and meeting people. eastbank.

Last edited by eastbank; September 9, 2013 at 03:51 PM.