The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 29, 2011, 12:47 PM   #1
praetorian97

Acceptable Range

Hey guys quick one here. Wondering if I am just worrying too much.

Background- AR-15, 223 Target Rounds, 55 FMJ, Varget.

I am well within my low to max range on powder charge weight. But every now and then I will fluctuate -.2 to +.3 when dispensing. That small of variance shouldn't affect accuracy worth worrying over with target rounds correct?
Old May 29, 2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

It all depends on how serious you are about "target" rounds. 1/2 grain range is fairly large in my book. One round at the low end fired with one at the high end in the same grouping can easily enlarge the group more than you might want. Target distance is a big factor as well.

How are you weighing the charge? Why is there such a large variation?
Old May 29, 2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

As Mal said, it depends on your requirements for the ammo. I need my rifle rounds to shoot sub-MOA groups at hundreds of yards. Not nearly what "serious" shooters require but still pretty stringent. For me, I want zero variance in the charge. "Zero" within the scale resolution, that is.
Old May 29, 2011, 01:25 PM   #4
praetorian97

Using an RCBS uniflow. I'll get consistent charges for about 3-4 ronds then it bounces plus or minus. I think it's this powder because I've run three different kinds of flake flawlessly for my pistol rounds. This is the first stick powder I've used.

It's a pain to measure almost every round when I'm racking out 450 223 target rounds. Chargemaster is getting put on my Xmas list.

As far as consistency I'm really only running exercises right now. So center of mass if fine with me even if it's a little scattered at 100 yards.
Old May 29, 2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Then I wouldn't worry about it. That charge range will only change the velocity within about a 100 fps range. Other factors when reloading or firing can change it even more than that.

One tip I can give when using a stick powder in the Uniflow is to always be as consistent as possible when operating the lever. I always give it an extra tap at both ends of the swing. That seems to yield more consistent charges of powder. See if that helps.
Old May 29, 2011, 05:27 PM   #6
hooligan1

I weigh each charge individualy everytime........period... Most of my work forfinding the "sweet load" for each rifle consists of working up loads .5 grains at a time. For instance I'm currently working on some .270 win loads using H4350. I started the work with 51 grns of h4350, and using .5 increments I have worked the loadings to 54.5 grains. And if I find that there is a common point between two loads, I'll work it up between them using 1 grain at a time until I reach the desired effect, so to speak. So I want to keep the loads the same, for every weight, for five cartridges, then fire them and see how it performs, so the answer is yes it does matter to me, the variance of .2 to .5 grains while loading. (confused yet?)
Old May 29, 2011, 06:22 PM   #7
TXGunNut

I use Mal's method, I call it the "double tap". If I manipulate the lever exactly the same way every time I can keep the charges within .1 of each other unless I'm using a long grain stick powder. Some loaders think consistent volume is more important than consistent weight, and they may be right. With long grain powders I used my scoop and trickle method until I sprung for the Chargemaster last year. You just missed a $50 rebate, mebbe they'll offer it again.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:39 AM   #8
hooligan1

+100, Mal H, I use the uniflow, and I also strike it twice on top and twice at the bottom. Especially with long grain powders like IMR 4350, H4350. It seems to throw more consitant charges with a "double-tap" on top and the bottom.