The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 16, 2010, 11:34 PM   #1
hogslayer6

Question about S&W 28 N-Frame

Folks, I have question for the group. Can someone tell me which Taurus revolvers are clones or close matches to the S&W 28 N-Frame? I have a S&W 28 Highway Patrolman that I got from my father from his days as a deputy. It is a wonderful piece of American craftsmanship and I would like to start carrying it but I would like to find a more modern Fobus, Kydex, or Uncle Mike's type holster. I have found a lot of the newer type holsters for Taurus models, but I don't know which ones are similar in size and design to the S&W 28. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Hogslayer6
Old September 17, 2010, 02:53 AM   #2
Eagle0711

I don't see why you can't get one that fits the new N- Frames such as the model 625 or one of Thunder Ranch 44 Special. If it didn't fit you could send it back or try one at a gun store. I suspect that a new Tuarus 44 mag frame would be close. Good Luck, Lyle

Prefection is found only in the dictionary. Unknown
Old September 17, 2010, 06:03 AM   #3
mikejonestkd

If you can't find one specifically made for a model 28, look for a holster for a model 27 - they are identical as far as fitting a holster goes.
Old September 17, 2010, 06:14 AM   #4
Powderman

Or, just look for one that says "N Frame". This will fit all of the big Smith and Wesson revolvers.
Old September 17, 2010, 11:17 AM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
Or, just look for one that says "N Frame". This will fit all of the big Smith and Wesson revolvers.
+1. FYI the S&W N frame model numbers are 20-29, 57, 58, 325-329, 610, and 624-629. If the barrel length is right, a holster that fits one should fit all the others. I have noticed that some holster makers are inconsistent about which model numbers they list, probably because there are so many.

FWIW you may have to custom-order an IWB, Kydex, pancake, or paddle-type holster for your N frame; most people who CCW such a big gun use a belt or shoulder holster with a jacket, so other types of CCW holsters are slow sellers, and most sporting-goods stores and online shooting retailers won't stock them. Check the holster manufacturers' websites.
Old September 17, 2010, 12:31 PM   #6
DPris
Member Emeritus

There is no directly comparable Taurus.
Denis
Old September 17, 2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Quantrill

Powderman +2
Old September 17, 2010, 01:45 PM   #8
zenner22

It took me awhile to figure out that Bianchi doesn't make a shoulder holster for a 4" N Frame anymore. Had to find one online. Still don't know why they stopped making them. The can't be that unpopular.
Old September 17, 2010, 06:47 PM   #9
stevieboy

I just purchased Simply Rugged's Sourdough Pancake holster for my 4" Model 27. Of course, it fits my 28 and my 625 as well. It's a wonderful holster, holds the gun securely, and after breaking in, moulds to my hip. And, it's relatively inexpensive, costing only $60 exclusive of shipping. I'd check out their website if I were you.

Last edited by stevieboy; September 17, 2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old September 17, 2010, 09:12 PM   #10
jad0110

For IWB carry (yes, it can be done), I have found the Lobo Gunleather IWB to be comfortabe and affordable (less than $60 shipped). With a stiff gunbelt, I find my 4" 28 carries relatively comfortably and conceals well if I dress around it (baggy, printed shirts). The Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake is another option highly regarded by others as well.

BTW, the sweat gaurd option on the Lobos only costs a few dollars, and is worth every penny from a comfort standpoint.

Old September 17, 2010, 09:23 PM   #11
bluetopper

The model 28 is an N frame. They are all the same size regardless of caliber. Only difference is barrel length.
Old September 17, 2010, 09:46 PM   #12
DPris
Member Emeritus

Zen,
Bianchi lists their X-15 shoulder rig for a 27 & a 29 (same N frame) on the website.
Should offer it in a four-inch version.
Did you call & ask 'em?
Denis
Old September 18, 2010, 07:19 AM   #13
zenner22

Yes, I did call Bianchi and ask them because their charts aren't all that barrel length specific. They told me they don't make them anymore. I asked if they planned to in the future and the person on the phone did not think it likely. That was last year. Don't know if things have changed or not?

I like the Bianchi shoulder holster system for revolvers and couldn't find anything comparable online with the spring retention system that cost less than $200.
Old September 18, 2010, 08:25 AM   #14
savit260

Forget about the "off the shelf" manufacturers and have a nice custom one done up for it. A great gun deserves a good holster.

Any of the well respected custom holster makers should have something available for an N frame S&W.

I like Simply Rugged myself, but there are TONS of other great custom leather guys out there.

For something more modern, check out these.

http://www.hoffners.com/inn07.jpg

I believe Tucker makes a hybrid leather kydex holster as well.
Old September 18, 2010, 09:50 AM   #15
tulsamal

Quote:
It is a wonderful piece of American craftsmanship and I would like to start carrying
Don't forget... he didn't carry that four inch N frame concealed. It was in a large open holster on a wide belt.

If you really want to carry it as a CCW, I would recommend not spending a huge amount of money right away. Sure, there are people who carry such things. I've done it myself on very rare occasions. Most of us start out carrying some cannon but then we gradually change our mind. Probably because we are developing a permanent list to the strong side! I don't have any real data but my experience says that 80% of people who have a CCW for two years or more end up gravitating to lighter and lighter guns. If my only legal choice for CCW was a four inch N frame, I guess I would find a way and get used to it. But there are LOTS of better choices IMO.

And this from a guy who collects S&W's!

Gregg
Old September 18, 2010, 01:13 PM   #16
DPris
Member Emeritus

Zen,
Too bad, I was planning on getting one myself.
Galco has a shoulder rig for N frames, I have one for four-inchers. Not quite the spring-loaded design, though.

I think Lawman Leather makes the original Dirty Harry type in a clamp design & it can be ordered to fit a number of revolvers.
You won't find one that's cheap.

Hog,
Back when I used a 25-5 in uniform I carried it to court one day concealed just to see how it'd work.
Never did it again. Too big & bulky.
I have a concealment belt holster for N frames that may see use someday on the ATV trail with a .44 Mag if I need a powerful gun along & don't want it seen, but that'd be about it.

Otherwise, the N frames are occasional open carry only, and pretty much any leather duty or sporting holster made for one four-inch N frame will fit the rest.
The caliber's mostly irrelevant, the only real differences are those guns with a full length underlug and in some cases a heavier barrel.
My 25-5 in .45 Colt fits my N frame holsters as well as my four-inch Model 28 & my four-inch Model 629.

You can talk to a maker direct to see what they make for your specific gun.
More reliable than trying to match up something on the internet or in a catalog.
Denis
Old September 20, 2010, 02:30 PM   #17
hogslayer6

Thanks for all the info

Gents thanks for all the info. I think I will look at the look at the Simply Rugged or Hoffner's options. I am also re-thinking the idea of carrying it based on the weight. Concealment shouldnt be an issue since I generally wear loose-fitting clothing anyway. Who knows, with cooler weather in the near future I might opt for a shoulder rig. Thanks again, Hogslayer6 out.

Tags
holsters , n-frame , s&w 28 , taurus