The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 5, 2009, 12:08 AM   #51
Hawg

A capper is only designed to place caps not seat them. Mine need more pressure to seat than a capper can stand.
Old April 5, 2009, 12:13 AM   #52
Fingers McGee

With a revolver capper, I place them & seat them in one motion. They go off first time every time.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 5, 2009, 06:21 AM   #53
Dingoboyx

Fingers

My ROA has size 11 nipples and size 11 caps fit nice (most of the time). I cap by hand and after just one or two going AWAL once in a while, I just got in the habit of squeezing them a bit which actually serves two purposes. One, it stops them ever jumping off on recoil (30gr Black) and the second benefeit (to me) is that when one gets stuck on (hard to get off) the slight out of round gives me a little ledge (the copper is not hard up against the nipple) to hook it off with a small screw driver. It works for me

Have tried those 10.75 caps (thats all I could get one time) but they were too tight and real hard to remove. When I can get 11's I do, and they work well

Muzza
Old April 5, 2009, 06:35 AM   #54
pohill

Quote:
If you have to pinch caps so they'll stay on the nipples, you're using the wrong caps.
Hmmmm....check this out.
From an old Colt Industries pamphlet:
"Percussion caps are now made in sizes from nine to thirteen. Ten and eleven are the best numbers for the small and medium-sized arms, and twelve for the larger sizes, although, as different-sized nipples are sometimes met in specimens of the same model, no hard and fast rule can be given. It is better to have caps slightly too large than too small, as large caps can be pinched together at the bottom enough so they will stay on the nipples, but small ones must be driven down on the nipple by the blow of the hammer, and this process frequently cushions the blow to the extent of producing a misfire."
Old April 5, 2009, 06:41 AM   #55
Dingoboyx

+1 Doc Hoy

Post 33, is my exact sentiments ...... Ah men..... bro

Muzza
Old April 5, 2009, 06:52 AM   #56
Dingoboyx

Thanks Pohill

The old cranky bugga's I shoot with showed me the 'down under nipple squeeze' and told me it was the done thing, nice to know it is written in the past by Colt as the best and correct way to do it. Very true how they worded it too. I guess it is like shoes/boots. If you were bare foot in a padock full of thorns, you take a size 10 boot, you would be happier to find a pair of size 12 boots and have no thorns, than find a pair of size 7 boots you cant squeeze into

I have a Uberti Colt .45 Dragoon, size 11's, A pair of SS Roh's size 11's, but my Pietta .44 (Rem 1858) take size 10...... will have to get some size 11 nipples for them, so they all take the same size 11's

Muzza
Old April 5, 2009, 07:12 AM   #57
pohill

I recently acquired an original Colt 1851 .36 Navy, and I brought it out and shot it a few weeks ago. I used .380 roundballs that were a little too small - they did not shave any lead (I don't think the chamber mouths are chamferred). I used #11 caps but they were too small (maybe too long). A shorter #11 or a #12 would have been fine. I also fired my Savage & North last year, and again the .380 balls were way too small - I "bumped" them up with a hammer a (flattened them out a little) for a better fit. The #11 caps fit that gun just fine. I have a Whitney that takes .380 balls and #11 caps perfectly. What does this all mean? Just that even back "in the day" there were differences in guns, caps, ball size, etc.
Old April 5, 2009, 12:20 PM   #58
Fingers McGee

Quote Pohill
Quote:
Hmmmm....check this out.
From an old Colt Industries pamphlet:
"Percussion caps are now made in sizes from nine to thirteen. Ten and eleven are the best numbers for the small and medium-sized arms, and twelve for the larger sizes, although, as different-sized nipples are sometimes met in specimens of the same model, no hard and fast rule can be given. It is better to have caps slightly too large than too small, as large caps can be pinched together at the bottom enough so they will stay on the nipples, but small ones must be driven down on the nipple by the blow of the hammer, and this process frequently cushions the blow to the extent of producing a misfire."
Which just goes to prove the point that correct cap/nipple matching is preferred; but over sized caps will do in a pinch
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 5, 2009, 12:58 PM   #59
Hawg

I use Remington #10's on my 60 Colt because I can't find CCI 10's locally. They seat easily enough with thumb pressure but a capper won't do it. One of my 58 Remingtons takes CCI #11's and again they seat easily with thumb pressure but we all know how well cappers work on a Remington. The other Remington takes #9's so pinch fit 10's are what it gets.