The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 25, 2006, 09:46 PM   #1
prater

mossy oak or realtree (just for kicks)

Just for kicks I'd like to see what you guys prefer between the two biggest names in camo.

If your a non-camo hunter like some I know I'd like to hear your opinion as well.

Personally I'm undecided, I'm sure they both work just the same, I've worn both, and mix and matched both, but I'm more partial to mossy oak. I really don't even know why.

Any thoughts?
Old September 25, 2006, 10:16 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

I feel like it really doesn't matter at all, except for maybe ducks & turkeys. But MONBU matches pretty well with my area in the woods (oak/hardwoods) for spring turkeys - Mossy Oak "New Break Up".

Well, apparently they changed it to just plain "Break Up":

http://www.mossyoak.com/patterns/default.asp?id=5

The whole camo-war thing is a little bit silly and over the top - I guess the big three are what,

Advantage http://www.advantagecamo.com/
Mossy Oak, http://www.mossyoak.com/default2.asp and
Realtree http://www.realtree.com/

They all have some good patterns - could make a difference with some birds, I suppose. I've got a Mossy Oak Shadow Grass coat for ducks, and an Advantage Max-4 coat (Rocky brand) for all-purpose/deer. Camo is more for people than for the game, so I buy whatever appeals to me.

Hmmm, wait a sec...it would seem that Advantage is just a division or brand of Realtree?

http://www.realtree.com/patterns/guide.tpl
Old September 25, 2006, 10:22 PM   #3
Trip20

I like whatever is on sale and that looks at least slightly like wood/rock/dirt/tree/leaf colored stuff.
Old September 25, 2006, 10:33 PM   #4
nico

Personally, I like ACU and Marine woodland digital camo more than the commercial patterns I've seen. If I could have found US made M65 Jacket and pants in either of those colors, I'd have jumped on them. But, since I didn't, I'll be going after Bambi with the standard woodland camo for the forseeable future.

After seeing my dad shoot a doe that had walked to within about 75 yards from a few hundred yards away while he was wearing a blue winter coat and blue jeans, I'm not convinced that camo is absolutely necessary. I bought the M65 jacket and pants because of durability and warmth; I got camo because it can't hurt.
Old September 25, 2006, 10:36 PM   #5
ITEOTWAWKI

I've got a question, of the 3 makers of clothing, which do you find to be the most comfortable? I hate that walmart crap...crappy itchy clothing that would probably melt in the heat.
Old September 25, 2006, 10:41 PM   #6
prater

I don't know about other places but here in DFW (Texas) Wal Mart carries realtree camo. Fairly cheap both in price and quality, I've started buying at Academy just so I can have a better variety and higher quality.
Old September 25, 2006, 10:54 PM   #7
rem33

deer or elk

Danner or Wesco Logger boots , Wranglers, tee shirt and depending on how cold it is, vest, lined shirt, to a good down jacket. Oh and a cap.
I have sat still on one side of a bush and had deer eating within 3 or 4 feet on the other side and never know me or my then 8 year old were there. If your still and the wind is right younger mule deer or doe's seem to be post animals ( dumb as a post)
That said, a old buck can seem to disappear into thin air.
My experience is that elk are not post animals either
Old September 25, 2006, 11:08 PM   #8
whitedemon89

czechoslovkian OD green
Old September 26, 2006, 06:08 AM   #9
Desertfox

Predator, Mossyoak, Realtree, brown, black, plaid, anything earth tone that will not resemble a deer. Don't wear carhart tan! If you do, you will be looked at in someone's scope.
If bow hunting, camo is more important but not as important as being still.
Old September 26, 2006, 08:23 AM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've never been a serious turkey or duck/goose hunter, so I've never worried about camo. Old khakis and/or olive drab has always been plenty good. When walking-hunting for deer, it doesn't matter what you wear; they hear you even if they can't see you.

, Art
Old September 26, 2006, 11:07 AM   #11
jhgreasemonkey

I've never been serious about camo. I wear woodland mil camo when I feel the need because I already have it and I feel it works fine. Most of the time I dont even use cammo and just wear earthy colors. Like dull kaki, brown, etc. Then again I am also not a serious duck and goose hunter. Mostly big game. But I have seen those guys completely done up in their mossy oak break up during deer season with a bright orange vest over the top while tromping through the pine and fir forest of the NW. its kind of funny.
Old September 26, 2006, 12:06 PM   #12
Scorch

Most camo is designed to fool hunters, and it works very well. It fools some of them so badly that they spend obscene amounts of money on camo that is too dark, wrong color, wrong patterns for area they are hunting and they can't seem to see the difference.

The best camo for hunting is neutral in color (like deer and game animals), non-reflective (like deer and big game animals), soft and quiet (like deer and big game animals).

You can't add the most important factor to camo, which is no motion.

Find a quiet camo in a neutral color and sit still or move slowly. Otherwise, none of it works.
Old September 26, 2006, 12:19 PM   #13
springmom

My winter camo is Realtree, my lightweight camo is Mossy Oak. That's because it's what they had in women's camo when I went shopping for it. Real esoteric reason for the choice there

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 26, 2006, 12:41 PM   #14
FirstFreedom

Hmmm, after looking at some of these websites, I will say that even though MONBU seems good for spring purposes, there are others better for fall/winter hunting. Problem is, and reason I never considered it, is because main quarry in fall/winter is deer or quail, and it just flat out doesn't matter for those at all - you don't need any camo.

But, having said that, if one were a serious fall turkey hunter, let's say, these would seem to be the best at blending with a late fall oak forest:

-Advantage- Classic
-Advantage- Timber
-Realtree- Hardwoods HD

Particularly the Realtree Hardwoods HD.

Mossy Oak- Obssession is a nice pattern, but has too much green in it, since turkeys can see color.

For deer it just doesn't matter, as long as you don't stand out like a sore thumb - it's movement that busts you visually, not pattern color.
Old September 26, 2006, 12:54 PM   #15
UMP

Most od my camo is realtree, but I usally buy whatever is on sale.
Old September 26, 2006, 01:14 PM   #16
FirstFreedom

Scorch, I disagree to some extent

Quote:
Most camo is designed to fool hunters, and it works very well.
That much I agree with.

Quote:
The best camo for hunting [...]
Quote:
non-reflective (like deer and big game animals),
Yep.

Quote:
soft and quiet (like deer and big game animals).
Yep.

Quote:
is neutral in color (like deer and game animals),
Here's where I disagree. And believe me, I don't often disagree with the very learned Mr. Scorch.

Deer (for example) being a tan color, are in fact VERY hard to see in the fall. Tan is certainly a good solid color; probably the best in terms of color only. But we have a hard time seeing them *in spite of* them being (pretty much) solid tan, not so much because of it. If they were patterned at all, we'd never see them, as stealthy as they are!! It is the large tan "splotch" that allows us to see them at all. Or the white neck patch. If they remained spotted like fawns, or had an even better pattern, along with a more subdued-color spot (not white), we'd have a hell of a time hunting them! A large solid object, regardless of color-neutrality, is not ideal. You want something to break up the outline. It doesn't matter much at all when the *quarry* is deer/ungulates, because they don't recognize small splotches like a human very well at all, until it moves, but they do recognize things that look different, and if you are close enough to it, instead of looking like the tree that was there before, your single solid splotch of whatever-color (tan, younameit), will look different, and that means agitation and white tail running away from you. More so even for turkeys and ducks - not only is color important, but breaking up outline is extremely important. But see sig...
Old September 26, 2006, 04:05 PM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Dunno about deer, but I notice a walking guy with camo a lot quicker than I do a walking guy in khakis or some other dull color that's close to what's around him. Brownish in woods, olive drab in the greasewood. I've seen a lot of all of that, over these last forty years or so.

FWIW, Art
Old September 26, 2006, 04:49 PM   #18
Spur0701

I'm with Scorch and Firstfreedom.........I read some study on the net done at some university on deer and camo.....I think the US Mil woodland and British DMP were as effective as the comerical patterns.
Old September 26, 2006, 08:17 PM   #19
stolivar

old trial

there was a guy that did a test to see which hides better. Good camo or hawaian shirts. Since deer are color blind they did it in black and white. The hawain shirts were harder to spot. I have seen this test. It might still be on the net. do a search and see.

steve
Old September 26, 2006, 09:13 PM   #20
FirstFreedom

That makes sense to me how a hawaiian shirt could be very good with colorblind deer, because it has palm leaf patterns and such on it - breaks up the outline - going to be much better than a solid ANYTHING (solid orange, solid tan, solid white, solid black, solid gray, solid purple). In fact a hawaiian shirt with orange palm leaves would make good hunting gear to comply with blaze requirements.
Old September 26, 2006, 09:19 PM   #21
ITEOTWAWKI

If you don't mind anyone seeing you thinking that you're a fruitcake.
Old September 27, 2006, 12:34 AM   #22
stevelyn

Mossy Oak or Real Tree

Neither.:barf:

http://www.asatcamo.com The closest thing you'll find to invisibility.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old September 27, 2006, 07:18 AM   #23
biglabsrule

My clothing is Mossy Oak but my only camo gun is Real Tree ...
Old September 27, 2006, 12:10 PM   #24
Quickdraw Limpsalot

Whatever's on the clearance rack?

If neither?... then neither.
Old September 27, 2006, 12:57 PM   #25
guntotin_fool

Last spring I had a job on a fancy house on the edge of a huge wetlands/nature area. Eating lunch wearing a plaid flannel shirt and tan carharts pants I had two tom turkeys walk with in ten or fifteen feet of me and many many more hens and jakes within fifty feet.

Last week wearing mostly the same stuff, a flannel shirt and jeans I had a 10 point buck in another yard come in and eat the flowers. I think most of the push of this stuff is marketing.