The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2014, 09:54 PM   #1
nemesiss45

Theoretical .308 powder question...

Like everyone else, I am running low on powder... and while I am holding out for a few specific options I want to try out, I have been browsing day in and day out looking for 8# kegs to be in stock and I always see LEVERevolution powder available. I happened to be looking at hodgdon burn rate charts and noticed that LEVERevolution falls between CFE 223 and 4007 ssc.... both of which have published load data for .308 win 168 gr. hpbt

so by now my question is obvious. is there something about this powder which makes it unsuitable for .308 (or any non lever gun for that matter)?

I don't have a lot of money to put into reloading, so I don't want to take a $200 chance on 8# of it.... I am just curious if someone who knows more about powder than me could provide some insight.
Old February 8, 2014, 10:14 PM   #2
Reloader2

Just from what I've read on the internet I would hesitate to jump into this, but there may be some on here that have personal experience and can better advise you.
Old February 8, 2014, 10:21 PM   #3
MarkDozier

NO reason not to use it. Hornady makes a 160 grain round for the 308 marlin express and it is a great round. the 308ME is the same ballisticly as the 308Win.

I did find a find comments from guys who have made 308 loads with it so you need to do some research.

BTW - burn rate charts are nearly meaningless.