The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 3, 2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Jevyod

Build off of Remington 7mm mag

Ok, so here's the question. First off, let me state that I am in no way a gunsmith! I would get one to do the work for me. Anyway, I have this model 700 chambered in 7mm mag that I hardly ever use. I was wondering about the possibility of using the action and building something else. What are my options? I am a fan of calibers that are not as well known. I was thinking of something like a 6.5x284 or 6.5-06 or 9.3x62 etc. is this even doable with this action? And what price range would we be talking? I would probably get a Boyds Gunstock, beyond that, I have no idea. Thoughts?
ps. I do reload, so availability of ammo is not really a concern.
Old December 3, 2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The bolt face is made for the belted magnum.
All the calibers you list are standard (.30-06 etc) rim diameter.
The price of a new bolt would put you into new rifle or new action price range.
Old December 3, 2013, 01:10 PM   #3
PetahW

Besides buying a new bbl in the chambering of your choice, unless you also want to buy a new bolt with a "standard" boltface ILO your current boltface for larger (in diameter) belted magnums, your only option would be another belted magnum cartridge.

Can you reveal why the rifle doesn't get much use as a 7mm Mag ?

( Apparently, Jim's a faster typist than me..... )

Old December 3, 2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Jevyod

Well, I guess I just never used it that much. I would much rather shoot my 260 Remington. The length of pull is a bit longer than I like, and quite frankly, I think the recoil is a bit excessive. Maybe I would be better off trading it for something I would use more. Or replacing the stock and putting in a new trigger and weighting it a bit to soften the recoil.
Old December 3, 2013, 05:21 PM   #5
Roughedge

have you considered cutting the stock and adjusting the trigger? Seems like I cut a stock every week for someone and the 700 trigger is easy to adjust and would save you some money to buy ammo with.The 7mm kicks like a mule but with a good recoil pad it can be tamed.
Old December 3, 2013, 06:58 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Unless you just want a project gun to get rid of some unwanted money, you would be better off trading the 7mm Mag in on what you do want, either in another Remington or some other make.

Jim
Old December 3, 2013, 07:11 PM   #7
sserdlihc

Agreed. Either sell it, trade it, or shoot it.
Old December 3, 2013, 08:05 PM   #8
jmr40

I've long believed that a lot of recoil is really between the ears. Some people automatically assume anything with magnum in the name kicks hard. And because they believe it kicks hard, it does to them. In reality most people cannot tell the difference between 7 mag and 30-06. They are so close that there is a lot of overlap depending on the individual rifle and loads.

With one of the new high-tech recoil pads it will feel about like a 243 If you reload you can down load to 7-08 performance and recoil levels. There is no rule that loads have to always be max loads.

I'd replace the stock with a LIGHTER, better fitting stock with a good recoil pad for overall recoil reduction. At least have the stock cut to fit you and have a better pad installed. Either will tame recoil considerably. If you still don't think you'd use it, sell it and replace it with something you will use. I don't see a lot of options for building a custom off this action that would help you.
Old December 3, 2013, 10:25 PM   #9
kduffy

I downloaded 120 gr Ballistic Tips for coyotes and general plinking when my 7 was my only center fire. They were plenty for anything in KS, but I found a nice load with a 139 BTSP Sierra and never went any further, neither did deer that met it. If I was looking to re-barrel a belted magnum I think the .257 Weatherby would be high on my list, unless I was in a Northern tier state with bears and other larger critters, which might make one of the larger ones, like 8mm RM or .338 WM win the nod.

A good trigger and a Morgan adjustable recoil pad make a big difference in what you feel and how it affects you in my experience.
Old December 4, 2013, 02:13 AM   #10
Clark

I converted a VZ24 8x57mm to 7mmRemMag
I converted a 1908 Braz Mauser from 8x57mm to 7mmRemMag
I converted another 1908 Braz Mauser from 8x57mm to 7mmRemMag
I converted a 7mmRemMag Rem700 to 7mmRemMag [Shilen Barrel]

I consider the 7mmRemMag to be the king of hunting cartridges.

I shot a mule buck deer on Oct 28 at 477 yards with 3.5 moa elevation correction off a 200 yard zero. Bang-flop. 3200 fps 140 gr ballistic tip Nosler.

But you pay your money and take your choice.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?