The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2013, 07:15 PM   #1
LSU

Glock 23 w/ KKM barrel question -

Anyone shooting S&S cast 180 grain FP in your Glock 23?

KKM aftermarket barrel.

I’ll be loading Powerpistol and thinking about starting at 5.8 and working up.

I think I’ll be looking at OAL of about 1.115”.

Any comments, recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks.
Old August 10, 2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Sevens

I bought a KKM barrel in .40 S&W for use in my Glock 29 (10mm.) I've been through over 1,200 completely successful rounds of plated bullet .40cal handloads with this combination... then I began to attempt some cast lead ammo.

I tried some -OLD- bullets I had on hand from a local casting outfit that has zero internet presence of any manner. (Vance bullets out of Rushelvania, Ohio) I didn't see success in the different loads I tried. A lot of leading. I wasn't bothered and only tried these first because I happen to have some laying around unloved.

I then moved to my preferred cast bullet supplier, Dardas out of Essexville, Michigan, and I've had moderate success but with a bit of leading that I believe should be less than what I am experiencing, but nothing catastrophic.

I've been running 5.2gr of Power Pistol under the 180gr LTC and running 1.138" COAL with .401" slugs. I'm considering trying this same load with the bullets sized to .402", but I'm hesitant simply because KKM has the reputation for a quality, precision bore. I don't think a slightly larger bullet is my answer.

I've been toying with loading cast lead for...hmmm... more than a couple decades. In some cases, I've had mindblowing, grin-inducing success. But across the whole, I still feel like an amateur, trying to bumble his way through it. A lot of trial and error.
Old August 13, 2013, 07:32 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

40 S&W = no friggin' setback allowed, or else

I have always preferred an OAL of 1.130"+/-.005", but have admittedly made many thousands at 1.125"+.005/-.000".

5.8g Power Pistol is a fine start (can test as low as 5.2g).

I suggest sorting used cases.

Any primer; some may be more 'accurate'.

YOUR KKM bore will decide if it likes those S&S bullets.

Might I suggest first a thorough thorough cleaning?
Might I further suggest a minimum of 1,000 rds of quality jacketed bullet shooting?
Then another thorough cleaning? And then lead-bullet shooting?
Old August 13, 2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Ruger45LC

I would suggest lengthening your OAL from 1.115 to 1.125-1.140". Unless the profile of the bullet is so blunt that it requires a short OAL, there's no use in using an OAL that short.

5.8gr PP will be safe, borderline bunny fart load. Because your KKM has such good case support, you can work up to max no problem.