The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 22, 2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Pops1085

Both eyes open shooting?

I've been shooting casually for basically all of my life but when I picked up a handgun a few weeks ago I started looking into some defensive shooting techniques and I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on this. "they" say that you should always shoot with both eyes open but I am having some real trouble acquiring a quick snap sight picture. I either wind up cross eyed or with a blurry front sight. I tried a google search on the internet but didn't come up with anything really on topic. When people say to shoot with both eyes open do they really mean look with both eyes, acquire a target (with both eyes), close non dominate eye, shoot, open both eyes, search for new targets. To me that would seem like the fastest way but then again, I'm fairly new to this. Any advice would be really appreciated guys!

Last edited by Pops1085; January 22, 2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Pops1085

I guess I should add too that I KNOW that I am right eye/right hand dominate so this shouldn't be too big of a challenge.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:12 PM   #3
mburmaster

With both eyes open you still use your dominate as primary. imho
Old January 22, 2013, 01:16 PM   #4
bigghoss

Whatever keeps you alive is the best way so do whatever works for you. That said what they mean is you use your shooting eye to align the sights on the target, your other eye is only open to maintain peripheral vision in case a threat presents itself to the side. So you're concentrating on your shooting eye. It's a hard thing to do, tuning out one eye without closing it. I'm working up to it by squinting my left eye instead of closing it. Just a little squint helps a lot.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:44 PM   #5
TunnelRat

My left eye is so dominant over my right that it's easy for me to keep both eyes open as the left just takes over. I can't even sight down a rifle with my right eye unless I cover my left. The goal is to use one eye to sight and keep both open to maintain awareness. Does take practice though.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 22, 2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Moby

All LEO's / Military are taught to use the dominate eye for sight picture but to also keep both eyes open for situational awareness.

It might seem odd at first but quickly becomes second nature.
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old January 22, 2013, 01:55 PM   #7
Pops1085

Okay so am I not supposed to look at the front sight with my non dominate eye? (left in my case)
Old January 22, 2013, 02:34 PM   #8
mburmaster

domonate eye
Old January 22, 2013, 02:52 PM   #9
Dragline45

What some of these shooting texts don't take into account are that some people just cant shoot with both eyes open. I see two front sights when I try to do so, although a buddy of mine naturally shoots with both eyes open, and cant understand how I shoot with one. Not everyone is wired the same way, just because some shooting literature says it's superior does not make it so for everyone.

By the way, my buddy shoots far more than I do and I can still out shoot him any day of the week with my one eye vs his two.
Old January 22, 2013, 03:29 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
By the way, my buddy shoots far more than I do and I can still out shoot him any day of the week with my one eye vs his two.
I missed the point here .
Old January 22, 2013, 03:39 PM   #11
Dragline45

Quote:

Quote:
I missed the point here .
He gets a hell of alot more practice in than I do, and even with all that practice the so called superior shooting method of using both eyes doe's not make him a better shooter that me with my one eye. My point is that shooting with both eyes open doe's not necessarily make you a better shooter, I find that there are far more important things to worry about.
Old January 22, 2013, 03:57 PM   #12
TheDoubleDeuce

Hickok45 shoots with one eye closed. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end, one eye or not. I say shoot however you can shoot most accurately. If you train and train and train to hold both eyes open, maybe you can find the sight picture just as quick. But if it comes naturally, quickly and accurately, maybe you can spend more time on other aspects of shooting. Like convincing your wife to let you buy more guns.
Old January 22, 2013, 04:05 PM   #13
TunnelRat

Quote:
He gets a hell of alot more practice in than I do, and even with all that practice the so called superior shooting method of using both eyes doe's not make him a better shooter that me with my one eye. My point is that shooting with both eyes open doe's not necessarily make you a better shooter, I find that there are far more important things to worry about.
Not sure where anyone on this thread insulted anyone that does close one eye, or really called keeping both open superior .
Old January 22, 2013, 04:10 PM   #14
TunnelRat

Quote:
Hickok45 shoots with one eye closed. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end, one eye or not. I say shoot however you can shoot most accurately. If you train and train and train to hold both eyes open, maybe you can find the sight picture just as quick. But if it comes naturally, quickly and accurately, maybe you can spend more time on other aspects of shooting. Like convincing your wife to let you buy more guns.
+1x10^6
Old January 22, 2013, 04:23 PM   #15
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Same here, I'm cross-dominant and when I pick up a pistol that right eye closes-period. I get all the time how I'm doing it wrong until the scores are compared. What works works. I'd like to train, now that I have more time, to use both eyes and have better depth perception, by using the translucent stickers-this is especially important when participating in shotgunning games, which I am getting interested in. I'd just personally like to have the option of both eyes and be as good as I am with one.
Old January 22, 2013, 05:00 PM   #16
Dondor

Practice does not make perfect. If you practice bad habits, even when shooting with both eyes open, you ingrain bad habits.

Personally I shoot with both eyes open when using a pistol, iron sight, reflex, or scope.

I shoot with both eyes when using a rifle iron sights or shotgun.

I shoot with one eye long range rifle with a scope after the target has been acquired and stationary, both eyes if it is moving.
Old January 22, 2013, 05:57 PM   #17
Revolver1

Keep practicing with both eyes open. It takes a while, it's not natural for anyone. This method will help you focus on the front sight. Once you get used to it, you'll never shoot pistol with both eyes open again!
Old January 22, 2013, 06:22 PM   #18
Dragline45

Quote:
Not sure where anyone on this thread insulted anyone that does close one eye, or really called keeping both open superior
No one here did, but many books and instructors will claim shooting with both eyes open to be superior to shooting with one eye. I can totally see the benefit of shooting with both eyes open, but if it does not feel natural and you have to put that much focus into it I see no benefit, only a hindrance. Shooting with one eye works for me, not to toot my own horn but I am an excellent shot with a pistol, and at this point I cant really see how learning to shoot with both eyes open will dramatically help me.

Last edited by Dragline45; January 22, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old January 22, 2013, 07:02 PM   #19
Herbert1517

As stated in replies above, I also began with a squint on my non-dominate eye. I was gradually able to decrease the amount I squint over time. Not to get you too far off track, but for "quick" target acquisition on such areas as center mass, you can use your thumbs if you have a consistent thumbs forward grip. After experimenting enough you can learn to consistently "sight" by this means for reflex, very low light, etc. scenarios.
Old January 22, 2013, 07:26 PM   #20
jmstr

I was told, a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away, that I should shoot with one eye open for precision and bullseye shooting, but with both eyes open for defense. I was also taught that defensive, two-eye open shooting is more about getting all of the rounds in center mass in a rapid (yet controlled) manner, while one-eye open was about getting them all in a 3" (or pick you dimension) circle on the target, fired slowly and deliberately.

I have no doubts about one eyed shooting being more precise. It is for me. But my training technique changes based on what type of shooting I want to do: bullseye accuracy or home defense.

I also use both eyes on open sight rifles, or scopes under 4 power. It is easier to track the target than one eye one the sights.

sent from tapatalk on Evo3G
Old January 22, 2013, 08:12 PM   #21
1stmar

Shooting w two eyes open is not about accuracy, it's about improving your visibility, seeing more out of the peripheral and possibly picking up sights quicker.
Old January 22, 2013, 08:47 PM   #22
Dragline45

Quote:
but for "quick" target acquisition on such areas as center mass, you can use your thumbs if you have a consistent thumbs forward grip
+1 to this
Old January 22, 2013, 09:05 PM   #23
chris in va

I can't shoot with one eye. Trying to close the left also lowers my right's eyelid, fuzzing out the picture somewhat.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:42 PM   #24
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops1085
When people say to shoot with both eyes open do they really mean look with both eyes, acquire a target (with both eyes), close non dominate eye, shoot, open both eyes, search for new targets.
Whether you shoot with one eye open or both eyes open, your point of focus should always be the front sight.

Shooting with both eyes open is less tiring on the eyes, and also provides a significantly wider radius of peripheral vision to allow you to be aware of what's happening around you -- such as the possible emergence of a second (or third) threat. When shooting with both eyes open, you acquire the sight picture with your dominant eye and you train your brain to ignore the parallel image being projected by the non-dominant eye. If that sounds overly simplistic, it is not. That's really all there is to it. But ... for someone who has spent long years shooting with the non-dominant eye firmly closed, it takes a bit or practice to learn to ignore that second image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline45
No one here did, but many books and instructors will claim shooting with both eyes open to be superior to shooting with one eye.
It is superior. But there's more to shooting than accuracy. Shooting with both eyes open causes less fatigue of the eye muscles, making it more comfortable to put a lot of rounds downrange in one session of that's of any importance. And, as numerous people have noted above, keeping both eyes open expands peripheral vision. This means nothing on a target range, and it could mean your life in a self defense situation.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; January 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old January 23, 2013, 12:03 AM   #25
Pops1085

Wow thanks for the responses guys seriously. So am I correct in assuming that you don't actually look at the front sight with both eyes but instead look at the target bring the sights up to the target and then shift the eyes focus to the front sight or should I just be bringing the gun up and looking at the front sight and then trying to line it up. I do agree that shooting with both eyes is superior if it is done right and you can figure out how to do it effectively. My problem is just not having anyone around to teach me how to do it. A bit of a breakdown would be helpful

Last edited by Pops1085; January 23, 2013 at 01:40 AM.

Tags
defensive , semi-auto hand guns , tactics , technique