The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 11, 2010, 06:57 PM   #1
troy_mclure

need better holster

I currently use a black hawk serpa holster for my 1911.

I hate the fact that the paddle blocks access to my pocket. that's my knife pocket.

I tried with out the paddle but i didn't like the way it sat.

I would also like to slide the holster back some, but it is blocked by the belt loop.

I've tried a couple of leather holsters but they wobble and the muzzle whacks my leg annoyingly(why i like paddles).

Anybody got any recommendations for a holster that doesn't have too many of my dislikes?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 17, 2010, 10:43 PM   #2
rsxr22

i think the best option would be comp-tacs locking paddle. And if you order this month there is free shipping. Im not sure if i read wrong either, but if i did you want to insert the paddle part inside your waistband then you will not have a problem with the paddle blocking your pocket. The locking paddle has clips that you hook under your belt and as long as you are using the right size belt for the holster you order, it is almost just as secure as the USPSA guys shooting belts
Old March 18, 2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Coop de Ville

Sky's the limit if you're willing to go IWB.

I have the watch six from Sparks and it's the most comfortable holster I have and very stable. The guns are so thin that they really do work well IWB. I'm forced to carry a Glock and that's a whole other story IWB. For OWB kydex th Comp Tac is great along with Sidearmor and Blade Tech.

http://www.miltsparks.com/Watch_Six.htm
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old March 18, 2010, 11:42 AM   #4
cycleguru

I went IWB about a month ago with a CrossBreed Super Tuck. I carry an XD9SC. The XD is a little fat like a Glock but it fits so well in the CB that I almost forget it's there. Being IWB, pocket access is no problem at all. I wear jeans and tee shirts to work but concealment is no problem. The only clothing change I had to make was to get a longer belt to comfortably go around the slight bulge at 4 o'clock strong side.

The CrossBreed cost me $93 delivered. I paid the extra few bucks and got the horse hide version because it's supposed to resist moisture (sweat) better than cow hide. Guess I'll find out this summer if that's true or not. It was a little expensive but well worth the money. You definitely get what you pay for!
Old March 23, 2010, 09:26 PM   #5
skifast

KHolster.
Old March 25, 2010, 04:19 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

my pants don't fit you, either

First, buy a decent gun belt.

Great places to check: Galco, BladeTech, CompTac, SideArmor, Kramer, Desantis, www.brownells.com, and of course, Milt Sparks Holsters, Inc.

Moo.
Old March 31, 2010, 02:17 AM   #7
kinoons

Another vote for the crossbreed supertuck. My other carry option is a safepacker. Both work great for my PPS and HK p7m8
Old March 31, 2010, 11:00 PM   #8
Caboclo

Crossbreed makes a good product; I use their Quickclip. Another option, if you haven't already tried it, is to move your Serpa around to a different position. Try SOB, cross-draw, and everything in between. Don't knock it till you try it.
Old April 1, 2010, 10:47 AM   #9
dairycreek

I carry a CZ SP01 in a Blade Tech paddle holster. This CZ is quite heavy (48.5 oz.) but the holster offers a safe, secure, and "tight" carry. Note that the belt attachment is adjustable and, oh yes, I assume that you are using a quality gun belt.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old April 4, 2010, 06:32 AM   #10
r_magill

Troy,

Before you go and buy another holster, I have a question for you. Are you placing the paddle of the holster between your belt and your pants, or between the inside of your pants and you? The reason I ask, is you said:
Quote:
I would also like to slide the holster back some, but it is blocked by the belt loop.
If you place the paddle of the holster between your pants and the rest of the holster on the outside of your belt, you can put the holster just about anywhere you your belt. This should also alleviate the problem of the paddle blocking your pocket.

Just my .02.

Rob