The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 18, 2009, 11:47 PM   #1
MrNiceGuy

Help regarding Oregon CHL holders personal information disclosure

I believe this is the correct section for this. If not, a move to the correct section would be appreciated.

I received a letter from my local sheriff in early January of this year. It reads in part:

Quote:
There is currently a statewide issue regarding the disclosure of the names, addresses and other identifying information of people who have concealed handgun licenses, which includes you. In short, the media and other groups are asking for lists of information about all the people who have a concealed handgun license. As your sheriff, I have refused to disclose that information, as it is my belief that people get a CHL for their security and the security of their families and do not want that information made public. In addition, as we are all aware, identity theft continues to be a growing concern.

An Oregon court has recently said that there is no evidence that people get a CHL as a security measure, and ordered the Jackson County Sheriff to disclose the list of information about Jackson County CHL holders to the local newspaper. That case is currently being appealed in the Oregon court of appeals.
This letter includes a section in which you are supposed to answer "yes" to two questions to affirm that you do in fact request that your information be kept confidential and that you are in fact in possession of a CHL as a personal safety measure.

I have been able to find a copy of this letter on another counties website here:
http://www.co.marion.or.us/SO/Operat...dentiality.htm

But as of yet, I have not been able to find out any more information regarding the status of the case or petition.
I have sent a letter to my sheriff asking for an update but he has not responded.

I searched here and have exhausted my limited google skills. Has anyone else heard of this? Perhaps you have an update, opinion, or perspective you'd like to share? Or hopefully a link to where this has already been discussed and dismissed as hogwash?

This has actually had me worried for some time. Any help or information would be appreciated.

Last edited by MrNiceGuy; April 19, 2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old April 18, 2009, 11:54 PM   #2
comn-cents

i just applied for my chl and on app. it asked if i wanted to have my info shared...
Old April 19, 2009, 12:04 AM   #3
MrNiceGuy

Correct, but what bothers me is the wording.

Here is the application PDF:
http://www.lanecounty.org/Sheriff_Po...FillInForm.pdf

The section reads:

Quote:
I am applying for a CHL as a personal safety measure, and do not want any informaton about my application or CHL status released to the public unless the Sheriff's Office is required to do so by Court Order
This letter is specifically regarding an Oregon court that found there is no basis for confidentiality and ordered all information to be released.

But it also states that you are in fact applying for a CHL as a personal safety measure, so would this override this particular court order? Or has it already been overridden? I'm hoping to find that this is now a non-issue. I'd just like something that says that.

I'm all too aware of how loosely some people like to play with peoples personal information. I'm often reminded of one day in 2002. A person riding his bike through a parking lot hit my car and left a HUGE dent. A policeman seeing us exchanging words pulled over to calm the situation. He then made us exchange information... that's when I learned he was a prisoner who was on daytime work release. He was riding back to the jail, now with my name, phone number, address, and a gripe..... I was left with the address of the jail, his name, and a 12ga next to my pillow for a few years.

Last edited by MrNiceGuy; April 19, 2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old April 19, 2009, 10:24 PM   #4
cjw3cma

House Bill 2727

Everyone in Oregon needs to be supporting House bill 2727 -

Be It Enacted by the People of the State of Oregon:
SECTION 1. A public body as defined in ORS 192.410 may not disclose records or information that can be associated with the identity of a current holder of, or an applicant for, a concealed handgun license unless:
(1) The disclosure is necessary for criminal justice purposes; or
(2) A court enters an order in a pending civil or criminal case directing the public body to disclose the records or information.

It is currently being "watered down" and may face additional modifications before it gets to the floor.

Please write to your representative and asked that they support 2727 as it was originally submitted - straight and to the point.