The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 24, 2006, 12:58 PM   #1
Benzene

VibraShine

On a visit to the local gunshop today, I saw a (vortex) tumbler named VibraShine (Model VS-15) priced as $70 OTD.

Does anyone here have any experience with this machine? I'd appreciate every comment that would help me decide whether or not to buy it. Thanks.
Old April 24, 2006, 03:34 PM   #2
Don H

Went out to VibraShine's site and the tumbler looks like a pretty standard tumbler ($59.95). Midway has a tumbler that is quite similar for $47.49. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=317981

Instant gratification might be worth the extra money of buying a tumbler locally.
Old April 24, 2006, 04:02 PM   #3
Benzene

Thanks, Don

Thanks, Don. I usually operate on the principle that "A penny saved is a penny gained." And this ususally over-rides tendencies towards "instant gratification". But when I add shipping and handling cost to the Midway price, I get a total of $57.36. Actually, I was misinformed about the local price; it is actually $64.30. I want to (and usually do) support my local guy. So the main issue is one of quality - the Midway stuff vs VibraShine. What do you think? Thanks.
Old April 24, 2006, 07:35 PM   #4
Daniel BOON

Vibra shine shoe box

I bought a shoe box type vibra shine way back in the late 80's and its still vibrating. but...........its small. maybe 100 44 mag brass, or 20 30-06 brass. the newer the medium, the faster it works. to me, its generally not worth bothering with. when I full length re-size, I use hornady's re size lube and that seems to get it as clean as I need it; but the vibra has worked for yrs, and its still ticking........
Old April 24, 2006, 09:44 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

I don't think there is likely to be a lot of difference in these vibratory tumblers. Check the capacity. Midsouth has the Lyman Turbo 1200 for a little less than Midway and their shipping is usually less (at least, to where I am). If you need really big capacity, check out the large Dillon machine.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 25, 2006, 07:55 PM   #6
mapwd

I have this tumbler and it has worked great for 3 years now. I leave it run for hours on end without a hiccup.