The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 13, 2010, 09:49 AM   #1
Cremon

Tragic Shooting a few miles from my home yesterday...

It was a sad day here in Cobb County, GA yesterday. I didn't personally know anyone involved in this incident but two people are already dead (the BG was not hurt at all and was arrested trying to flee). Apparently there were no concealed carry people there, or if there were, none were armed. Just goes to show it's better to have it and not need it than...

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/22217190/detail.html
Old January 13, 2010, 03:23 PM   #2
45Gunner

Sad....another person goes "Postal." Depression, desperation and despair are a deadly cocktail waiting to explode and innocent people get killed or seriously hurt.

If someone had been armed, the damage may not have been as severe. The reason for carrying a gun is indeed self defense and to protect your own life and if effect, those that are around you.

Just another proof that an armed society is a safe society. Without a gun, one can fall victim to anyone that has taken the plunge off the deep end. Very sad and preventable, or least could have been minimized.
NRA Life Member
Old January 13, 2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Cremon

It brought up a lot of discussion between local CW carriers here on what we might have done had we been there. The person in the parking lot had very little warning before he was shot. The people inside heard the shot and might have been able to react in one had a gun. I agree that if someone had been armed, the damage would have been far less than it was.

My heart goes out to the families this lunatic devastated.
Old January 13, 2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Dan M.

That's the town where they passed a law that every household had to own a gun.
Old January 13, 2010, 05:47 PM   #5
Nydhog502

Odd that his name was Jesse James... It's sad to think that people resort to this kind of behavior.
Old January 13, 2010, 05:49 PM   #6
Sefner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan M.
That's the town where they passed a law that every household had to own a gun.
Negative. Unless there are two towns. http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55288
Old January 13, 2010, 05:56 PM   #7
pacerdude

I think Dan M, that you are probably referring to Kennesaw,GA... but there are exceptions to that rule, that another member here straightened me out on.
Old January 13, 2010, 08:27 PM   #8
MTT TL

The shooting was in Kennesaw, the shooter was from Temple, the victims were from Lawrenceville.
Old January 13, 2010, 10:43 PM   #9
Kyo

I used to work in kennesaw, my family goes to school there, and I live near Lawrenceville. This is sad. I don't know what I would have done if I was there but I know I would have been carrying.
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old January 13, 2010, 10:49 PM   #10
leadcounsel

Unarmed victims, either of the 'state' anti-concealed carry in X location or darwinism. It angers me that we peasants cannot carry in X locations to defend our lives from predators.
Old January 14, 2010, 09:43 AM   #11
Cremon

So true Leadcounsel. So very true!! Georgia has great gun laws. We are a "shall issue" state and the castle law was passed here 2 years ago. It's just a shame no one there had a weapon available to try and stop this tragedy. Here in GA, businesses have the right to tell their employees that they may not carry at work (and 99% of businesses DO have such a policy - even Glock in Suwanee makes their employees check guns if they bring them into the building), but they can NOT prevent you from having a gun in your car in the office parking lot. So no one there would have been armed that worked there and was inside, but clients could have been or some lucky soul might possibly have been able to get to their car. It's hard to say.

As this story has unfolded, it was revealed that the shooter had a problem with Latin Americans. I hate to see prejudices involved in shootings. Some people are very small minded indeed.
Old January 14, 2010, 01:46 PM   #12
Daugherty16

More food for the Anti's

My thoughts and prayers are with the victim's families, and the whole community. This is a heinous crime, and a lot of lives have been forever changed.

Unfortuantely, the anti's will seize this as an opportunity to soapbox about more gun control.

No "extra" gun control could have stopped this guy's criminal acts. If he passed the NICS, he's allowed by law to have a gun. It became a crime when he shot those unsuspecting folks. Wouldn't have been any different if he'd used a knife or a baseball bat or a tire iron. He would still be charged with homicide and attempted homicide, held on no bond, and facing life or death in prison. But nobody would be calling for a ban on tire irons.

However, had just one employee been armed, perhaps fewer lives might have been lost. One persistent question comes up - when a workplace bans concealed carry, do they take on an affirmative responsibility to protect employees from violent attacks such as this?
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old January 14, 2010, 02:50 PM   #13
Cremon

Quote:
Unfortuantely, the anti's will seize this as an opportunity to soapbox about more gun control.
I disagree wholeheartedly. I really don't think they will try to use this one.

We all know that this incident shoots any arguments they might have full of holes. I think they do too. Any anti gun zealot will avoid bringing this particular incident up because, statistically speaking, gun control encourages incidents like this one. It would be very difficult for anyone to argue that gun control would have prevented this tragedy from happening (as you said, Dauherty16). Gun control would have gauranteed that there would be no opposition at all to the shooter (who took an awful risk by going in there armed and assuming no one would be carrying - I think he knew a lot of the people there would not be armed from personal experience with them - many used to be his coworkers).

It's knowing that victims will not be armed that proliferates crimes like this (that's why so many occur in colleges and schools - these are well known no gun zones. No gun zones=umarmed targets). Even the antis know that gun control is a root cause of armed criminals going after unarmed victims with a bold sense of impunity. The utopia they envision is a society where there are no guns at all - unfortunately, they don't have an answer for the problem of keeping guns out of the hands of criminals if guns were made illegal to everyone.

I know a few anti gun people - and in the past, many of them would try and bring up incidents like this one to make their argument but not so much anymore. The ones I know realize that these "crazies" that short circuit and go on shooting sprees only hurt their argument for more gun control - especially if a legally armed citizen intervenes, as happens more and more often these days - and the news outlets don't seem to report those with as much fanfare.
Check this link to see how often this really happens:

http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/

And it would be interesting to see if, in the future, the government made companies responsible for the safety of its employees if concealed carry is forbidden on site and an armed nut job showed up. By that I mean - if at some point in the future - the family of a dead victim could sue such a company with a no CC policy for failing to protect their deceased loved one.

Last edited by Cremon; January 14, 2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old January 14, 2010, 05:16 PM   #14
pacerdude

This is very sad, and my heart goes out to the victims.
On a side note I was born in Lawrenceville, but have moved around the Metro area, and the South East for a while before coming here to UGA, but my family still lives in Metro Atlanta and it is discouraging.