The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2012, 12:55 PM   #1
hhunter318

7mm Berger 168gr. VLD keyholing

This might not be the most intelligent question but here it goes.

I have a 30 1/2" Pac-Nor barrel with a 1:9" twist chambered to a 7mm WSM. I started out shooting 175gr Sierra Matchkings and was shooting consistent .3 MOA groups at 100 yds. I decided to use the gun to hunt whitetail so I decided to switch to 168gr Berger Hunting VLDs. I loaded some using H1000, RL 17, IMR 7828ssc, and couldn't get them to shoot worth a crap. I played with the seating depth, still nothing. I shot them at 300 yds one day and every shot keyholed.

My question is, why would a lighter bullet like that not stabilize but a heavier bullet stabilize perfectly. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I've never had a 175gr Matchking keyhole. I want to use this gun for hunting but don't really want to use a Matchking. The 180gr Bergers maybe?
Old July 30, 2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Clark

I have (5) 7mmRemMag rifles and I can't measure the twist rate accurately.
I can measure the difference between 10" from 9" twist, but I can't measure the difference between 9.25" and 9.5" twist.

I have shot 180 gr VLDs, and I cannot predict at what range that bullet will go unstable.

I am now back to Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets, because of the better terminal ballistics.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 30, 2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Creeper

Berger's recommended twist is 1:10 for the 168 match hunting VLD. However, I find it hard to believe that shot from a 1:9 twist, even a 30.5 in. barrel, that the bullet would destabilize or over-stabilize.
They do have a thin jacket though, so I suppose anything is possible. Have you been able to recover any bullets?

Call Burger... ask for Eric Stecker. If anyone can figure out why you're having issues, Eric will figure it out.

Also... read this.

Cheers,
C
Old July 30, 2012, 02:05 PM   #4
math teacher

I believe the twist rate in the 7mm Rem Mag is close to yours. I find that 160 grain Nosler Accubonds shoot well in every 7mm mag I have tried and my friends and I have killed numerous deer, elk, and moose with them. My limited experience with keyholing has been with underloads which fail to give enough velocity to stabilize the bullet. If you didn't download them, try another bullet. If you only used starting loads, try working up the load and see if that helps.
Old July 30, 2012, 02:49 PM   #5
hhunter318

I was running about 65.5 grains of H1000 or so if memory serves me correctly. Like I said, I wouldn't be as surprised if this would have been the other way around with the 168s stabilizing and the 175s keyholing, but this just baffled me. I have since switched powder, sticking mainly to Reloder 17 for the 7mm WSM, so I might load a few just to test. I ordered 100 Berger 180s so we'll see how they shoot. I have a friend that loaded some in his 7mm RUM and his exit wounds looked like a frag grenade had exploded.

Last edited by hhunter318; July 30, 2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old July 30, 2012, 04:48 PM   #6
89blazin

Stable bullet

Although the weight does play a part in stabilizing bullets through various twist rate / length barrels, don't forget that bullet length plays a larger role.
Old July 30, 2012, 04:52 PM   #7
Creeper

Quote:
Although the weight does play a part in stabilizing bullets through various twist rate / length barrels, don't forget that bullet length plays a larger role.
Yep... the good old Greenhill formula still has validity.

C
Old July 30, 2012, 05:24 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Yes, length matters most. Weight second. Velocity for a given twist rate is third in the hierarchy.

In your case you went to a bullet both longer and lighter. Both moves in the wrong direction. For a given length, heavier is more stable. This is the problem with charts that show certain bullet weights associated with certain twist rates: they are assuming same bullet construction and same bullet shape so that weight always goes up with length and not the other way around, as happens sometimes in real life.

That said, though, the Berger should still be plenty stable in a 9" twist and is on the three stability calculators I have. I get gyroscopic stability factors from 1.6 to 1.9 with them, so you should have plenty of spin. So something else is happening here.

One thought that occurs to me is to suggest you might have core stripping. Try loading down at starting load levels or even lower. Maybe like 58 grains of 7828, and see if the keyholing stops?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 30, 2012, 05:43 PM   #9
243winxb

Berger bullet failure test

The bullet is coming apart? Depends if you have old or new Berger?? http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?...-test&p=384475
Old July 30, 2012, 08:45 PM   #10
hhunter318

Thanks guys for all of the helpful info. That chart is pretty helpful. I might load down some of the 168s I have left, but don't plan to buy more. I've had too good experience with the heavier bullets to decrease bullet weight and sacrifice b.c. Thanks again for all of the info.
Old July 30, 2012, 10:17 PM   #11
mrawesome22

Maybe you don't have the twist you think you have?

An insane amount of runout

Bullet bases are all screwed up?

sudo apt-get update
Old July 31, 2012, 08:05 AM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

That's a good thought. Get out the patches and cleaning rod and double-check the twist rate.
Old July 31, 2012, 08:47 AM   #13
old roper

Here is copy of the Greenhill Forumla

http://kwk.us/twist.html

The Berger 7mm 168gr VLD bullets I have length various between 1.445" to 1.450".

You might want to read this

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr..._Barrel_Groves
NRA Life Member
Old July 31, 2012, 09:45 AM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

For a more modern estimator that takes velocity and some atmospheric conditions particulars into account, use this one.
Old July 31, 2012, 11:38 AM   #15
old roper

You can get this from Brian Litz see at the bottom of article

http://02b0516.netsolhost.com/blog1/...cs/twist-rate/
NRA Life Member
Old July 31, 2012, 11:57 AM   #16
hagar

Try the 162 Amax, and you might never look back.
Old July 31, 2012, 04:05 PM   #17
hhunter318

Barrel is a 1:9 twist. It's Pac-Nor's Select Match Grade barrel so the bore is a mirror finish. It's not run-out, I'm meticulous about my case prep. Trim to length, neck turn, uniform flash holes, etc. Measure concentricity after loading also. Just a freak thing I guess. I will let you guys know how the 180gr Bergers shoot.