The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 5, 2012, 01:31 AM   #1
gjw

VZ 24 or Yugo M48???

Hi all, I'm looking for another 7.92mm rifle. I already have a 98k, but wanted something else that will be a good shooter.

So....my question is, what are the pros and cons of the above choices? Should I hold out for a good VZ or go for a M48?

Any and all opinions and comments are welcome.

Thanks so much!

Greg
Old May 5, 2012, 07:32 AM   #2
TX Hunter

GYW

Both are really good Rifles, but I would get the VZ 24, my reason would be a pro for the VZ and a Con for the YUGO.

My reason is simple, the VZ has a full leinght action and uses Mauser 98 Parts that are common, If you buy the Yugo, and break your firing pin tip, you will not be able to find a replacement, and unless you have a lathe you are up a creek.

I have searched all over the Web trying to find a spare firing pin for my 24 47 and have not found one yet. You may never need a firing pin for the Yugo, but if I were to buy Mauser it would have the common full leingth action. Good luck
Old May 5, 2012, 08:02 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Yugo intermediate length parts are hard to find and there are tons of these rifles on the market. You would think there would be a flood of parts for the M24/47/M48 rifles.

A VZ or M48? I can find a like new M48 cheaper than a like condition VZ. The difference is the .250 inch in the receiver/bolt length. Both can be great shooters depending on barrel condition.

You could combine the Yugo and VZ and have a M24/52C. These are war2 reparation rifles that the Slavs did a re-arsenal on.

Pair of M48's and a M24/52C on bottom.

M24/52C

Old May 5, 2012, 08:52 AM   #4
amx4080

I have both and they are both good choices. Yes, parts may become a problem in the future for the Yugo; but with current prices, buy two! The M24 and M24/47 I have are very nice, with more use and wear.

The M48's I have are almost like new, while the VZ-24's have seen a lot more action and wear.
Old May 5, 2012, 10:41 AM   #5
tahoe2

I have a M98k, a M24/47 and a M48a, they all shoot great. My thought is the 48's are more plentiful and usually in better shape than the VZ's. I am currently looking for a VZ action to customize into a .280 rem.
Old May 6, 2012, 04:24 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you are only looking for an action, by all means get the VZ-24 action for the reasons indicated above and for one of the smoothest actions ever used on a Mauser rifle. But most of the VZ-24's on the market have bores ranging from poor to sewer pipe, so an M48 with a good bore might be a better shooter or a better bet for sporterizing in the same caliber.

There are parts and accessories (scope mounts, etc.) for the M48, but they are harder to find than those for the standard action.

Jim
Old May 7, 2012, 07:24 AM   #7
tobnpr

For a shooter, consider the 24/47. They were re-arsenaled before being put back in long-term storage, and many were never re-issued.

We just got one, and I know it was never used after, because the bolt safety did not operate properly, and the rear action screw was too long and it was impossible to run the bolt. Both of those are easy fixes, and the barrel on it appears to be brand new. Not so much as a single pit or sign of wear/use.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:38 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

The 24/47 and M48 have the same short receiver, so the same concerns about parts and accessories.

FWIW, after Yugoslavia became a country following WWI, they ordered Model 1924 rifles from FN in Belgium. The FN action was licensed by Mauser, but is based on a slightly earlier design than what we consider the "standard" M1898 Mauser (German 98, Czech VZ-24, etc.). So the FN Model 1924 has a short receiver and a little different breeching system. Yugoslavia bought both rifles and the machinery and tooling to make them, and manufactured their Model 1924 in several variations. Those rifles are marked in Cyrillic and have Model 1924 and the royal crest on the receiver ring.

After WWII, the Yugoslavs rehabbed the old 1924 rifles, calling them the 24/47, and in 1948 began production of new rifles, the M48. Model 1924 receiver rings were cleaned and the new Yugoslav marking, the flame and the date 1943 (when Tito founded his government) put on. The same marking went on the new M48 rifles and some dealers have used the date to claim that M48 rifles are "wartime", "historic", "made by the Germans", etc.

Jim
Old May 8, 2012, 09:26 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Model 1924 receiver rings were cleaned and the new Yugoslav marking, the flame and the date 1943 (when Tito founded his government) put on. The same marking went on the new M48 rifles and some dealers have used the date to claim that M48 rifles are "wartime", "historic", "made by the Germans", etc.

WHAT!

Michell's Mausers would lie?