The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 15, 2008, 12:23 PM   #1
VaFisher

Which progressive loader

I am in the market for a new progressive shot shell loader and not sure which way to go. I would like a few sugestions if any of you have a press you really like and care to help in my selection. Maybe you could explain what it is you like about the press you have or wish you had and why if possible.
It would be nice to hear from the folk's that use these so I can get a good feel for what I am looking at in the different versions availble.
Up until now I have the Mec jr single stage in different calipers and they have done me well. I am ready to step up to a faster and easyer setup where I would not have to spend as much time loading and more time shooting. Seems like there is never enough time for averything any more.
Old September 15, 2008, 01:45 PM   #2
45Dave

How much are you looking to spend?

Mec progressives work great for a reasonable price, Pontess Warren is fantatic but pricey. RCBS Grand look good, have not run one personally.
Head over to your local store and check them out is probably the best way to see what fits your needs and wallet.
Old September 15, 2008, 05:22 PM   #3
VaFisher

May be right on seeing them, only problem is I don't have any place close by to see and thought I would ask the pro's and con's here before looking any further then on the net.
Old September 15, 2008, 07:24 PM   #4
BigJimP

I use the MEC 9000 HN hydraulics. I have them in 12, 20, 28 and .410 . I have one pump / sits on floor - so you activate the press with a foot pedal. I have a cutoff valve on top of pump - to run one loader at a time - but I have 2 loaders plumbed to the pump. I leave my 12ga loader plumbed all the time - then I swap out the 20, 28 and .410 machines as needed. It takes 5 min to swap a machine out - no big deal.

The hydraulic is a little faster - and the braces are different than the 9000GN - and hydraulics turn out very good shells, very consistent -and quick at 20 boxes an hour or so without breaking a sweat.

If you don't want or have room for hydraulic - go to the 9000 GN ( the old G has the old primer tray, the GN has the new primer tray ) don't go with the old primer tray - the new one is a big upgrade and a lot more trouble free.

The bottom end progressive MEC is the Grabber - you have to rotate the base as you load / 9000 GN rotates as you cycle the handle / 9000HN rotates each time you cycle the machine with the pedal. The hydraulic is really the way to go if you have the room. You buy one machine with a pump and hoses / then buy just the 2nd machine ( no hoses ) and a 3rd and 4th or whatever gagues you want.

I've used RCBS, Spolar machines - I would probably go with the Spolar if I didn't have the Mec machines - but MEC is my first choice.
Old September 16, 2008, 07:07 AM   #5
VaFisher

Thanks BigJimP, That's some good informative information on Mec loaders, more info then on their site as differences.

I bumped into a 366 that's new never been used and has a coversion set with it for a couple hundred so I am going to pick it up and use it for awhile, it still need some grunt presure to operate vs yours.

I like that hydraulic set-up you have and had not thought about linking together with one pump. I see a advantage over the electric version using only one pump, I will more then likely end up doing the same after playing with the 366 for awhile. I understand they make some noise but heck I am half deaf now from shooting years ago before we thought about protecting our hearing.
Old September 16, 2008, 08:29 AM   #6
jmorris

If you want the best. http://www.spolargold.com/spolar.htm
Old September 16, 2008, 11:19 AM   #7
sargenv

I've used an 8567 Grabber for several years. I actually picked mine up used (someone gave it to my dad who then gave it to me). I replaced a few parts and it was as good as new. I think new these things went for a few hundred dollars. The 9000 series replaced the Grabber some years back but you can sometimes find the Grabber now and then. I use it for all my higher volume shotshell reloading.

I used a Single stage Sizemaster for a long time and always liked it's collet sizing system. The grabber has the same collet resizer.

You could get a Dillon 900, but I've always thought it was a little overkill.

The PW machines are nice but pricey.
Old September 16, 2008, 04:19 PM   #8
VaFisher

Appreciate the information guy's, I am going to get the new Hornady 366 and see how I like it.