The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 19, 2015, 12:07 AM   #1
Bill Akins

ScottWerx Thompson dress up kit I just installed on my Ruger 10/22

No doubt I'm a little late to the party on getting and reviewing this one, but better late than never.

I bought a Green Mountain 16" finned barrel, with Cutts style compensator forged integral with the barrel. But I also kept my factory smooth barrel. I just put the "Fun Gun" kit all together last evening. I used a Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary model as the host firearm. I bought the "Chicago" model with vertical foregrip from Scottwerx, and also bought the horizontal foregrip so I could change out from the finned barrel to my smooth factory barrel and by adding the horizontal foregrip, make it look WW2 style. The dress up kit has absolutely gorgeous wood and the machining and quality overall is top notch. I was very impressed. It will take any mag a normal Ruger 10/22 will take. I put a GSG 110 rd drum, a MWG 50 rd teardrop mag, as well as several other mags in it to check for fit. Everything works fine. It even comes with a fake mag extension that you epoxy to your 10 rd Ruger rotary mag to make it look like a Thompson stick mag. I've shot real full auto Thompsons and a friend of mine has a Kahr Arms semi auto Thompson with the over 16" barrel. But his is sooo very heavy. I'm no wimp, but I can't imagine carrying that around France, Italy and Germany during WW2. I'd always liked the Thompson except for its weight. The Scottwerx kit gave me the opportunity to get my Tommy gun "fix" (as it were), without the weight and expense (of even a real semi auto one). And it's made in California so it's California compliant legally. I've done a lot of work around Ruger 10/22's (Akins Accelerator, first water cooled Ruger 10/22 that's convertible in seconds to air cooled, etc), and I've seen a lot of bumpfire as well as non bumpfire and dress up stocks for the Ruger 10/22, and I've got to say, I think this is one of the nicest and superior quality ones. I luv it. Here's a few pics of mine.

The wood on these kits is absolutely beautiful.

With smooth 18 & 1/2" factory tapered barrel and horizontal foregrip (WW2 style).

With Green Mountain tapered finned barrel with integrally forged with the barrel Cutts style compensator and epoxied mag extension on factory 10rd mag, and vertical foregrip.

Same as pic above, only with German Sports Guns (GSG) 110rd drum mag.

And with MWG 50 rd teardrop mag.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old March 19, 2015, 02:01 AM   #2
Brotherbadger

Looks awesome. I'm a big fan of the kits for the 10/22. I think this one and the garand kits are the best I've seen.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old March 19, 2015, 02:37 AM   #3
Bill Akins

Quote:
BrotherBadger wrote:
Looks awesome. I'm a big fan of the kits for the 10/22. I think this one and the garand kits are the best I've seen.
There's a Garand kit? I've seen 10/22's made up to look like Garands using Airsoft parts, and I've seen the Garand and M-14 looking 10/22's that previewed at the shot show this year, but all of those were either one off's or in the case of the Garands and M-14's at shot show, are made as a complete gun using receivers and barrels the manufacturer made themselves. Not a kit. Do you know of an actual add on kit for us to convert our own 10/22's into Garand look-a-likes BrotherBadger?

If so, you're going to be responsible for making my wallet lighter .

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".