The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 25, 2001, 02:35 AM   #1
Joey

I've got a couple of AR15's and a Rem 700 that I'd like to camo up somehow.

What's a good way to go about painting a rifle & scope without screwing it up?????
Old May 25, 2001, 07:37 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Joey, Brownells, http://www.brownells.com sells camo paint for stocks and teflon/moly for the metal parts in camo colors. I've used the teflon to camo a few. You decide what the base color will be and do the whole gun in that. Then use randomly torn off pieces of masking tape placed in different spots and spray with the second color. Remove the tape before baking. Then repeat the process with the third color. If you don't want to do it yourself, there's a company called Psycho Ballistics that makes and sells paint ball guns. I spoke with the president a couple of years ago and at that time he was telling me that he could put on just about any pattern you'd want by a silk screen method. You might contact them and see what they can do and for how much. They have a website but I no longer have the address. George
Old May 26, 2001, 12:06 PM   #3
Knighterrant

JOEY, YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO GOTO http://www.BEARCOAT.COM THEY are one of the best for doing finishes on equipment. There is another product similar to the Brownells stuff called "Guncoat" .Don't have the website at hand. Great stuff.
If any of the weapons are stainless steel and you just want to subdue the sheen ... take off the stock/non stainless gear, plug the barrel(s)/screw holes(kids play-dough works, easy to remove). Then take it to a machine shop with a sand blasting booth. I prefer the coarse sand and it really takes the sheen/shine off. It may even dissipate heat faster (more surface area) BUT that hasn't been proven by exact testing. Thst procedure cost me $10. If you aren't adept at taking the weapon apart then wrap WELL with electrical tape. Especially the trigger group and the action or anything you don't want blasted with sand. I have done this on a Rem. VSSF & a Ruger 10/22. My gunsmith is gonna hate me for doing the same to a Shilen barreled M700 he is working up,but ...
Good luck.
Old May 26, 2001, 06:48 PM   #4
CrowShooter

Let me know if you like the looks of these and I will e-mail you some info.

Rich

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=10612362&f=0
Old May 26, 2001, 09:30 PM   #5
handgun357

I just use a camo sock.
No risk.
Old May 29, 2001, 03:14 PM   #6
Joey

Anybody know anything about something called bowflage???? From what I understand you can spray this on and then remove it at a latter date.

Crow Shooter, nice pictures, how'd you cammo them????