The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 19, 2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Ump64

High Standard semi-auto not seni-auto???

Who knows the workings of the High Standard "sharpshooter" .22? #ML30553.
I have not had this pistol out to shoot for many years. Tried to shoot last weekend, only to find, every time I fired 1 shot, the trigger had to be pushed forward, felt click, before I could fire again.
Any thoughts or experiences like this?
I had forgot how well this semi-shooter shot and how much fun it is, especially if it would work like a semi.
Help please
Old February 19, 2013, 01:55 PM   #2
JimPage

I haven't had mine apart for several years, but it sounds like a spring has broken or slipped off its retaining button. That's just my guess without takiing mine apart.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old February 19, 2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Hal

Try hosing it down real well with some gun scrubber.
I've had unused guns gum up over the years.
WD40 is especially bad for this. It turns to varnish over time.
Old February 21, 2013, 10:21 AM   #4
Ump64

High Standard

Ever have to replace any springs? I was hoping someone would have had this problem? Guess not?
Thank you for the 2 replies above.
Old February 21, 2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Hal

Nope - never had to replace any springs in my High Standard.

My Sport King is nickle plated & I was told never use Hoppes #9 on it, so, I used to clean it with WD40.
As I mentioned above, the WD40 got all gummy after the gun sat for several years and I had to blast it out with an aerosol can of cleaner.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:40 PM   #6
kdemers58

The cleaning is the best thing take a can of brakleen made by crc just like gun scrubber but about halve as much i have three of them i clean them regularly and shoot them more here is what i do remove grips take barrel of and slide and magazine then hose it down when finnished with that let dry and lube with a light oil i prefer one with teflon like rem oil . good luck if you have any problem give me a shout
Old February 22, 2013, 01:15 AM   #7
OcelotZ3

I have 6 High Standards (one a Sharpshooter), all earlier models, and have never had an issue with any of them like what you described.
Old February 22, 2013, 10:18 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

IIRC, that is one of the models where the little flat V spring acts on the sear bar to return the sear bar and the trigger. Those springs don't commonly break, but they have a bad habit of jumping out when the grips are removed, maybe when you last cleaned it. Fortunately, I think GPC has those springs, Item No. 10461 at about $5. If they do, and that is what is wrong, I would buy two.

Jim
Old March 1, 2013, 10:17 AM   #9
Ump64

Great info/feedback from everyone. Thank you.
The sear bar spring has been ordered from H.S. It was $3.40 + ship. I did order 2. The original was broken be a "gunsmith", or so called, when he tried to open the spring by bending it, to increase the tension. DUH! Can you imagine that?
Anyway, i have a new one coming. If cleaning the pistol again, lubing it and replacing the sear bar spring does not vix the problem, I will probably send it back to High Standard.

Thank's to all for your information.
Old March 6, 2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Ump64

Happy to say, I received the new sear bar spring last night, and replaced it in the High Standard Sharpshooter. Cleaned every thing again, and it works fine.
Thanks to all the responded to my post.