The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 31, 2011, 09:04 PM   #1
Savage308...

What's the thought on the Bushnell DOA 600? How does it work?

I have a Bushnell DOA 600 that I want to mount on my Savage 308 and I'm curious how the DOA system does what it does.

How can a single scope work with so many different caliber guns?
Old November 4, 2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Wild Bill Bucks

Drop compensation has to do with the velocity of the round you shoot, as well as the bullet weight. Once you know the approximate speed and weight of your bullet, you can apply the chart that came with the scope.
I bought a Nikon scope with the drop compensating circles in the lens, and with a few range visits figured out what my yardage for each circle was.
I was a little ahead of the game because I do my own loading, and knew what my ballistics were before I started. Factory ammo will not be as consistent as hand loaded rounds, but you should be able to get your stats from the box, or the factory web-site.
You will notice that the chart shows a particular caliber and a particular bullet weight and velocity for that caliber, so if you shoot a different bullet, you will have to play with them a little to figure it out.
Once you do, the Nikon I have works great, although I have only used it on targets out to 350 yards.
Lot more to it than stated but I think you get the jist.
Old November 4, 2011, 07:35 PM   #3
warbirdlover

I'd love one of those V5 Swarovski's with the ballistic turret. $1600 though.
Old November 4, 2011, 08:04 PM   #4
SDShooter79

I have a Buris with the ballistic plex that has worked well for about 4 years. Come with a chart that tells you where many factory rounds "should" hit.
Old November 20, 2011, 11:16 PM   #5
bman940

Scope

Wildbill, Have you checked out Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program? Not only can you enter factory ammo, it also gives you G7 drag table to enter custom handloads so that you can get accurate distances for your BDC reticle and your customized ammo.
Go to Nikonhunting.com then click the Spot On logo. It's all free, there's even a downloadable app for iphone and android.
Pretty amazing amount of information available.
Old November 21, 2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Wild Bill Bucks

bman,
I can tell you are from a generation waaaay ahead of me. I wouldn't know one app from another one, and what the heck is an android anyway. I do real good to answer my cell phone when it rings, and punch in letters on this forum. Everything I know has to be learned the hard way for some reason with me, but I do want you to know I appreciate the gesture.
I might get my daughter to look at your post and see if she can help me get what your talking about.

Thanks again, your hearts in the right spot for this forum.
Old November 21, 2011, 11:15 AM   #7
bman940

lol

Bill,
Believe me, I've had to plod along as well. At 52, there are many things I can't figure out, that's why I have a 12 year old to help me out!
I bet your daughter can get you dialed in as well.
One thing I have been staunch about is that we make things easy for everyone to understand. Try to take everything down to it's simplest form so anyone can use it. I recently taught my 74 year old fater in law. Fortunately I printed all the numbers and diagrams for him to study before we leave to hunt, plus laminated a BDC sheet with distsances just for him. Of course I'll be hunting with him but due to him working artillary in the Korean war he can't hear a thing. Lots of hand geastures and laughing on my part. Makes for a fun time.
Let me know if you need help. I've walked more then one person thru Spot On while on the phone and would be happy to do it agan!
Bart