The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2000, 08:16 PM   #1
Fisher

Ok guys, here is a simple question for you. I am about to start reloading for my Remington 700 VS in .308. I will not be shooting this brass out of any other gun I own. Although I do have an M1A in .308 I only shoot miltary ammo out of it. It's just not a cost savings to reload for the M1A in my opinion.

Anyway, I have always resized my rifle brass in the past because I have several guns that shoot the same caliber. I have been of the belief that not all bullet chambers are sized the same in respect to there caliber. So to head of any problems from reloaded ammo going from a bolt action to a semi-auto to a falling block rifle I have resized all my brass. This gun will be the exception. I will be reloading for accuracy and this brass and reloads will be specifically for this gun. My question is, do I need to resize this brass.

My thinking is this. If I do not have to resize, then my brass will last longer. The multiple resizing and expanding of a case under the extreme pressures and heat in a gun is what causes case failure. If I do not use this step will I achieve longer case life and ultimately save money in the long run.
Old October 22, 2000, 08:53 PM   #2
Big Bunny

Fisher...if you head-tape(see Hornady Book) your new cases before the first firing to centralise them in the bore(if undersized -and most are)and then neck-size only as far as you need only to support the projectile when reloading for accuracy..... you will have come along way -I feel.The other way is to mark each shell and replace it the same way each time !
Barrel cleanliness,concentricity of projectile/case, barrel-crowning,chamber head-space, barrel floating and the amount(or lack of)bullet-jump to the lands will also need experimentation and tuning - as will of course projectiles and loads/OAL you use.

Case life will be longer overall and if you only resize JUST enough to fit your rifle after 10 or so reloads(if it gets "stickey" for extraction) they will last even longer!

Sounds like a great project -my best wishes for every satisfaction with your new .308W.

These type of heavily accurised cases become old friends after a short while....

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.
Old October 23, 2000, 12:14 AM   #3
bk40

no need to full length size your brass. Just set your FL sizer die to just "bump" the shoulder back ~0.001-0.002" or, neck size only.
Old October 23, 2000, 09:27 AM   #4
WalterGAII

Try Lee Collet (neck sizing only) dies. You'll be pleased with the results.
Old October 24, 2000, 12:02 AM   #5
rugercollector

I would agree just neck size them. Also the lee factory crimp die loads some extreme accurate ammo for me. I just use a light crimp. If you really want to go overboard try checking concentricity (wobble) and mark your cases so they are always oriented with the same side up. And deburr your flash holes. As you can see it's easy to get carried away.
Old October 24, 2000, 01:59 PM   #6
Bogie

I use the Lee collet dies in .308, .22-250 and .243, and occasionally bump my cases with a Redding body-only die. I get decent accuracy out of those factory rifles. I also shoot benchrest, and bump those cases about a thousandth each time (6PPC Harrel bushing custom die, .22Ratdog, shortened Redding bushing die).

Old October 25, 2000, 09:27 PM   #7
Rigby

I have been reloading for a 300 Win Mag for several years now. Neck sizing works great for my loads. You will get several more reloads from 308 brass than I get from 300WM brass due to different levels of stress on the brass. I currently get 3-4 reloads from virgin brass.
Old October 25, 2000, 09:52 PM   #8
Nukem

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WalterGAII:
Try Lee Collet (neck sizing only) dies. You'll be pleased with the results. [/quote]

I second that idea. I use the collet die for my .300 Winmag, it's great and my brass does indeed last longer. No case lube, no expander ball pulling on the neck.
Old October 26, 2000, 06:59 AM   #9
Fisher

Thanks guys. I have never tried the Lee dies before. It sounds like everyone is pleased with the results after using them so I'll swing by the shop and pick them up this week.

Thanks again fo all the responses.