The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 30, 1999, 09:58 AM   #1
chucko

First of all, I do not reload yet. I'm still in the discovery mode, so don't get too bent out of shape if I'm asking a dumb question.

During an 8 hour session at the range with my .308, I tried multiple manufacturers for each of the following bullet weights ( 125GR, 145GR, 150GR, 168GR, 175GR ) with the exception of the 125GR, and 175GR which I only had one box of each. My rifle let me know that it prefered a diet of Federal Gold Medal Match 168GR BTHP's, and would tolorate Cor-Bon 125GR BTHP's. I know thats quite a spread. It really didn't care for the any of the other weights or manufacturers.

Federal Load #: GM308M
Caliber: 308 Win. (7.62x51mm)
Weight: 168GR 10.88grams
Bullet Style: Sierra MatchKing BTHP
Primer Number: GM210M

Would it be posible to easily reproduce this load given the data that Federal supplies about this ammo?
Or would I basicly be starting from scratch trying to develope a custom load that will perform at least as good?

Thanks,
Chuck
Old August 30, 1999, 03:31 PM   #2
Walt Welch

There are several powder manufacturers who will indicate certain combinations of components as duplicating factory ballistics. The problem with this is that this is not what you want to do. You want to develop a load which is accurate.

This is what handloading is all about. Pick a powder, generally towards the slow end of those recommended, and start at the suggested starting load, and work up in 0.1 gr. intervals. Stop when you get good accuracy, or reach maximum suggested load. If good accuracy not obtained with one powder, try another. Each rifle is different, and you need to fine tune the loads for best accuracy as a general rule.

Hope this helps, Walt
Old September 1, 1999, 09:42 PM   #3
HankL

Chucko, I have several rifles that thoroughly enjoy M118 Ball. I have tried "in vain" to duplicate this loading but have come ever so close. Most of the time you can exceed your expectations and sometimes you can't.

One case in point is a rifle/barrel combination that just works. The other is a rifle/complex scope combination that will work until I run out of M118 and have to do the homework on again.

Main thing is to have fun and be safe.
Good shooting, Hank