The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 15, 2000, 06:20 PM   #1
Anthony

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a Ken Null USH shoulder holster made out of horsehide for my Kahr K-40 and had a break in question.

The USH is a clamshell style shoulder holster that rides in a completely inverted (upside down) position. It releases the gun by twisting the gun and breaking open two snap closures on the side of the holster. One near the muzzle and the other just beneath the trigger guard.

The snaps near the muzzle close nicely. The snaps under the trigger guard do not snap, but touch. Is there any way to stretch the leather just a bit so it will snap closed?

Please refrain from critiquing this mode of carry as it is a specific use holster for the tuxedo I use occassionally.

Thank you for the assistance.

- Anthony
Old October 15, 2000, 09:25 PM   #2
LeonMichaels

Anthony....

May I politely suggest you ask that question of the holster maker.

I have sold hundreds of custom holsters at gun shows and have never came across that particuliar problem. And if I had of...I'd have made sure the maker knew of it ASAP.

Leon....

------------------
There are no dangerous weapons....only dangerous men. Robert Heinlein.

When the fear of failure to do one's duty for God and Country overcomes fear of dying, a true warrior is born.
Old October 16, 2000, 02:19 PM   #3
Gunslinger

Leon is correct in that the manufacture would be the one to ask. However if you would prefer to try it yourself you may try using 100% pure Neatsfoot Oil on the strap. Soak it good and work it with your hands to stretch it. Once it will snap over the gun place the gun in plastic cling wrap to protect it and leave the gun snapped in it for 24 hours.

Now about this tuxedo thing.....I'm getting a mental image here, Bond...James Bond.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!
Old October 18, 2000, 10:44 PM   #4
BILLG

Anthony I have one of Ken Nulls Super Speed Scabbards and this holster took a while to break in.It fits like a glove now.This is one of the best custom holsters I have seen.Ken advises against using any kind of oil on his holsters.If you have any questions contact Ken he will be more than happy to help you.He can be reached by phone at 706-625-5643 his web site is www.klnullholsters.com you can get his e-mail address there.Hope this helps BILLG
Old October 23, 2000, 10:09 AM   #5
Anthony

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for all of the input. It is greatly appreciated.

The USH went back to Ken Null and it should be arriving today. I just wanted to let everyone know that Ken was a complete professional about the entire matter and his turn around time is unbelievable.

A very refreshing change in a mass produced world.

- Anthony

P.S. Hey Gunslinger, the Bond...James Bond thought crossed my mind as well. You should have been there when I told the folks at Men's Warehouse when I told her I wanted the tux cut for a gun. The saleslady took it in stride and took me back into a private fitting room to have the jacket cut around the gun. The tailor gave me a look though as if I was that dangerous kind of man who carries a gun. In reality I am a writer that does not take chances.

It was kinda funny when the saleslady made a comment about how the jacket would fit just fine as well without the gun for the wedding. I looked at her funny, and she said, "Oh, I guess you are going to wear the gun at the wedding." I replied, "Well, I do want it to be a religious experience." She laughed one of those laughs people on commission laugh.