The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 13, 2001, 08:14 PM   #1
kn4qb

.45 primer problem

I have been reloading for several years and have just recently ran across a problem. I am loading .45 auto for IPSC. I am using my Dillon 550b press, CCI primers, and freshly tumbled cases.

I noticed that several times the primer would "stick'' causing me to have to pull hard to get it out of the case plate. the primer is canted and in some cases crushed. Upon further investigation and checking all my adjustments, I discovered that each case that malfunctioned is marked "FC 99 45 AUTO." I started casting out the cases marked "FC 99" and have had no other problems. In fact, I just loaded several marked "FC 98 45 AUTO" without incident.

These cases don't appear to have boxer primers and I haven't ever heard of .45 cases with boxers. The "bad" cases don't look any different than the "good" ones. Has anyone else had this experience? Am I missing something?
Old November 13, 2001, 08:19 PM   #2
Redneck2

I'm sure you'll get more replies...

I had the same thing. I think they are military brass that had the primer crimped in. Made the pocket tight. I would either ream the pockets or toss the brass (I tossed most of mine). I had some scary moments thinking the primers were going to explode.
Old November 13, 2001, 09:00 PM   #3
kn4qb

Redneck 2

They don't look crimped, but the old primer looks like it is torn out. I hate to toss them. I may try the reamer. Thanks!
Old November 13, 2001, 10:12 PM   #4
9x45

any .45acp brass marked FC XX is crimped. They are not even worth the trouble of de-capping and swaging.. Just toss them out, and keep cranking.
Old November 14, 2001, 07:17 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

SALVAGE

The LEE chamfer tool ($3) does a superb job of easing primer insertion.
Just stop when you feel significant resistance and tweak the hole with the tool, and back on your way!
Old November 14, 2001, 11:20 AM   #6
Jeeper

If you shoot with anyone that uses a 1050 they could use them since they have a reaming tool on the press. I keep mine until I have a lot and then ream it out.
Old November 14, 2001, 06:33 PM   #7
kn4qb

Thanks!

That's why I like this place!

I am toooooo much of a packrat to throw away brass. Upon closer inspection, they are crimped. I Tried the reamer and it cured the problem. Thanks again!