The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 29, 2011, 02:57 PM   #1
bear108

Buying a Gun out of ur own state

From what I have learned and if it is correct, in Pa., one is able to purchase a black powder pistol and not have to go through the registration process. If that is correct, what are the laws if I would buy a black powder pistol from this site and it is out of state?? Can it be shipped direct to a house??
Old July 29, 2011, 10:40 PM   #2
carguychris

I do not know anything about the PA registration process because I am unfamiliar with PA law.

Federal law allows a gun to be bought or sold across state lines without an FFL if it's legally considered an antique. What's an antique, you might say? Here's the entire text of the federal law, from 18 USC ยง 921.
Quote:
(16) The term "antique firearm'' means--
(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or
(B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica--
(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or
(C) any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term "antique firearm'' shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.
(emphasis mine)

In summary, an antique is one of three things:
  • Any firearm made before January 1, 1899, or
  • A replica of a firearm made before January 1, 1899 that doesn't accept commonly available centerfire or rimfire ammunition, or
  • A black powder muzzleloader.
Old July 30, 2011, 05:32 AM   #3
rwilson452

Quote:
From what I have learned and if it is correct, in Pa., one is able to purchase a black powder pistol and not have to go through the registration process. If that is correct, what are the laws if I would buy a black powder pistol from this site and it is out of state?? Can it be shipped direct to a house??
There is no registration in PA. However the State Police do keep a record of handgun sales. Black powder doesn't count.