The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 8, 2010, 04:36 PM   #1
bigdogsmith

9.3x72R Ammo

I recently came across several boxes of 9.3x72R ammunition. They were made in Western Germany and have an RWS emblem on the box. I believe the ammo is produced by Dynamit Nobel. Several of the boxes are opened, but some are still sealed. They have price tags from Abercrombie and Fitch for $3.50. My grandfather was a big game hunter and when he passed away his guns were given to different members of the family, but no one has a gun that shoots this ammo. I would appreciate any information on the rifle that takes this ammunition and I would like to know anything about this ammo and whether it has any inherent value. Thanks.
Old May 8, 2010, 10:24 PM   #2
publius

Yes, the ammo boxes have value to collectors. You could take a couple of pics and list them in the for sale forum.
Old May 13, 2010, 09:35 AM   #3
apr1775

Common round for German double barrel rifles and combination guns. That sort of thing is very popular on the forums at nitroexpress.com.
Old June 6, 2010, 07:48 PM   #4
SemperFi0311

Several Boxes of 9.3x72R: Price for all?

Several Boxes of 9.3x72R: Price for all?

Hi BigDogSmith

In regard to the 9.3x72R I would like to buy them from you. I have an old Bartells & Buttner drilling that takes 9.3x72R.

Please contact me as I am very interested.

Thanks

SemperFi0311
Old June 7, 2010, 07:49 AM   #5
mapsjanhere

9.3 x 72R was a pre-WWI deer cartridge used typically in combined (shotgun barrel and rifle barrel) guns, mostly drillings. It became obsolete with the introduction of the 9.3 x 74 R, which is still commonly chambered for these guns in Germany today. Aside from the collector value I can't comment on, each round is worth at least $1.50 just in components for the reloader.

Tags
9.3x72r , dynamit nobel