The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 30, 2000, 10:09 AM   #1
Cyric13

Was making plans to either build/buy a 1911 in 9x23. Since there isn't alot of commercial loads was thinking about reloading. What all do I need and what's good that won't cost an arm and a leg?

thanks, Cyric
Old October 30, 2000, 01:48 PM   #2
Gunrnr

You'll hear many opinions, but if you're only loading for one caliber and don't want to spend a lot of $$$, I feel the best option is to get a Rockchucker Combo by RCBS. Yeah, you'll hear the Dillon folks beating their drum (it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, it slices/dices/juliennes...) BUT, for most shooters who shoot less than 500-1000 rounds per month, the Rockchucker is perfect. I think the retail is around $300 and includes most all of the basic tools you need to get started. Buy the dies you need, some bullets, primers and powder, and your're ready to rock.

Even though I do shoot >500 rnds/months, and usually use a RCBS P2K for most of my reloading tasks, I still keep my 20+ yr old Rockchucker set up for use with match grade loads and experimental stuff.

------------------
Gunrunner to the Stars
Old October 30, 2000, 07:14 PM   #3
beemerb

well I guess a dillon nut has to post.300 will get you a sq deal in one caliber.Get a scale and you are in business and will load faster and you will have DILLON.
The dillon nut has spoken.
ps.If you are going to shoot a lot think about a 550 B.You can load 500 rds a hr with no problem and quality is match grade.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old October 30, 2000, 07:49 PM   #4
DaMan

Start with the RCBS Rockchucker! You will be glad you did!

Regards! DaMan