The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 7, 2013, 04:38 PM   #1
PaseMkr

9mm cases getting stuck in sizing/decapping die

Hello all,

I have a Hornady Progressive AP Press and have reloaded approximately 10,000+ rounds withpout case lube over the last year and a half with zero issues. I have been using Redding Pro Series Titanium Carbide dies during this entire time. All of a sudden today I started experiencing an issue with about ever 7-10th case getting stuck in the sizing/decapping die and it is a b**ch to get the stuck case out. I have had to pull the die, remove the decapping pin and place the die in a vice. I then use a hammer and a punch to push the case out from the top down. So, far all I could think to try was to use some Flitz and a Dremel to polish the inside of the sizing die and apply case lube, but I am still having the same problem. Does anyone here have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!
Steve
Old July 7, 2013, 05:04 PM   #2
mikld

Are the offending cases all the same manufacturer? Are you sure they are all boxer primed? Are the cases clean inside and out (debris stuck inside, or corrosion on OD)? Or, what changed in the machine, the dies, the brass? Your machine won't just suddenly decide to eat brass...
Old July 7, 2013, 05:17 PM   #3
GJSchulze

I have the same press and die with maybe 8000 9mm through it and have only had one or two stuck cases. However I started using One-shot case lube several thousand rounds ago. Not absolutely necessary, but it reduces friction a lot and requires a lot less pressure on the handle. I highly recommend this and a can lasts a few thousand rounds. I do a light spray on one side of the case and this is enough.

Call Hornady for help. The have good support; maybe they'll even send a new die to you for free.
Old July 7, 2013, 05:52 PM   #4
cryogenic419

If I am not mistaken carbide dies are basically regular dies with a ring of carbide that handles the sizing where the brass enters the die. Not so sure how well attempting to polish that would go or if its even possible. I would first try disassembling the die, using gun scrubber or non chlorinated brake cleaner with a small brush, qtips, cleaning patch or something along those lines and clean the inside of the die as well as the decapping pin/expander ball

What process are you using to clean your cases? If you are just tumbling check and see how much dust is getting left behind on the cases. If you are ultrasonic cleaning, I have had some brass that despite the carbide die NEEDED a touch of case lube every 10 or so. Seems the ultrasonic cleans a little too well sometimes. The dust from tumbling ties into the next point.

By chance has the humidity where you live jumped up recently? I've noticed there seems to be a touch more resistance when resizing during humid times. Nothing major but noticeable. If you had dusty brass from tumbling mixed with high humidity its not impossible that you could run into problems.

The brass you are using, is it the same stuff you've been using, some new to you once fired, etc?
Old July 7, 2013, 05:55 PM   #5
603Country

I have Lee carbide dies for all my pistol reloading and I can't remember ever having a stuck case in years and years and years of reloading. I don't lube the cases at all. If you can't find and fix the problem, I'd just get some nice inexpensive Lee dies.
Old July 7, 2013, 06:07 PM   #6
LE-28

I think the carbide in your dies is loaded up with brass. It happens over time. Clean your dies with the same copper remover you use in your barrels.

In the mean time I also use one shot case lube on my cases and tumble them after loading. The One Shot Case lube cuts the friction by probably 1/2 on my LNL-AP, and my OAL stays more consistant and even my case feeder seems to work better.