The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 6, 2014, 05:01 PM   #26
precision_shooter

What do you consider a "good price"?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old September 7, 2014, 04:25 AM   #27
Model12Win

Quote:
What do you consider a "good price"?
It seems all the ones I've seen on Gunbroker are above MSRP. I refuse to buy a gun above MSRP lol!
Old September 9, 2014, 08:08 PM   #28
wachtelhund1

Here is my CZ 527 All Purpose .223 Rem. Love this gun. This last spring I laid up my own carbon kelvar stock with epoxy resin. I imbedded an aluminum action block and aluminum support for the sling studs, 3/4 walnut plate for the butt pad and then filled it with low density expanding foam. Total weight - 28 oz. I was going to paint textured tan, but it looked neat, so I sprayed it with UV protecting clear.

Old September 9, 2014, 08:33 PM   #29
Model12Win

Wow! I really like that, bet it's light weight!
Old September 9, 2014, 09:06 PM   #30
precision_shooter

Yeah, I definitely would not pay more than MSRP...
I paid $680 for mine out the door. Keep looking and I'm sure you will find a good deal.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old September 10, 2014, 12:41 PM   #31
armoredman

wachtelhund1, very nice, looks like snake camo. Light and handy.
Old September 10, 2014, 06:44 PM   #32
Model12Win

I will keep looking for one of these neat rifles! Can't wait to get one for a good price!
Old September 13, 2014, 08:56 PM   #33
SwiftPilot

I've been running a 527 in 7.62x39 since the late 90's after I first saw one, I've since gifted that one to a relative and bought two more. One has been set up as a brush gun with an NECG peep for some years (I'm eagerly waiting for www.skinnersights.com to finish his CZ specific peep which should be wonderful given his other designs), the other is sporting a fixed 4x for open terrain.

I exclusively use M67 which produces brilliant sub-MOA performance, but even the cheap stuff is outstanding out of the CZ. Given the right conditions I have no concerns whatsoever taking dear out to around 400, and I've taken elk out to around 200. Critters go down just as fast with the Russian shorty as with any well placed 30-30, 308, or 30-06.

Light, compact, rugged, accurate, cheap to shoot, and even looks good :-)
Old September 13, 2014, 10:22 PM   #34
sirgilligan

I have the CZ 527 in .223 REM with a 1:9 twist. I think that it is an excellent choice for the 7.62x39 and if I had owned any ammo in 7.62x39 I would have considered that rifle.

Here are the results of mine shooting with a scope of sand bags on the hood of our truck.

Old September 14, 2014, 06:53 PM   #35
chris in va

I have one in x39.

Honestly I wouldn't mind selling my seldom used AR for the new one in 223. It's that nice. That way I'm actually thinking about my shots and ejected cases can just stay on the ground instead of scrounging brass x39's to reload.

Hmm.
Old September 16, 2014, 05:51 AM   #36
NWCP

You'll enjoy the little CZ. It's a quality rifle. I own one in 5.56 that is used for varmint hunting. Hopefully none of your cheap ammo uses corrosive primers. If so I would avoid using it in my CZ. Otherwise put a decent 3-9x40 scope on it and plink away. As for home defense your SKS will do just as well if not better. In a scenario that the government would be looking at what you have across your shoulder it won't matter if its an AK, or a CZ. A gun is a gun. You'll be more accurate with your CZ, but a battle rifle it is not.
Old September 16, 2014, 10:46 AM   #37
SwiftPilot

Quote:
Hopefully none of your cheap ammo uses corrosive primers. If so I would avoid using it in my CZ
All I use is corrosively primed ammunition in my 527's, there isn't even a hint of an issue.
I've never understood this fear of using it