The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 12, 2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Slip Shooter

45 Colt 250 gr. Speer Gold Dot “Deep Curl” Bullets

Do any of you have experience with this Gold Dot bullet? What about velocities and pressure signs?

I want to purchase these bullets to use in my 45 Colt clones as defense loads. The Speer #14 manual is the only source I’ve found and it seems to me that the powders they recommend are all on the slower side.

I have never loaded jacketed bullets in the 45 Colt, only 250 to 260 grain lead. My experience with most of the powders listed by Speer for this bullet give large velocity variations of 50 to 70 fps. I would like much better performance with this bullet. Will this jacketed bullet’s increased drag help with better ignition and extreme spread?

I am looking for a velocity of about 860 fps.

Has anyone out there used and chronographed these bullets in a 5.5 inch revolver?

I am also open to all powder suggestions.

Several reviewers have written well of the bullets performance at 45 Colt velocities on the Midway site.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/393...oint-box-of-50

NRA Benefactor Member.
Old September 12, 2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Shotgun693

I use the 200 gr bullet made for the .45 ACP. I load it to about 925 fps. Works real well for me. I use Red Dot over a WW Primer.
Old September 12, 2012, 04:23 PM   #3
jmortimer

It will open up real good at 750 fps plus so you are on the right track. I would start with 8.5 grains of Unique. The 250 grain Gold Dot at 775 fps will penetrate 14" of ballistic gelatin and expand to .773" - The would be an A+ based on the FBI standards.
From Shooters Legacy site article by Gary W. Campbell 6-4-08
http://www.shooterslegacy.net/articles/45colt.html