The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 18, 2012, 10:18 AM   #1
jason41987

best in-spec AR15 uppers and lowers?

hey everyone.. im starting an AR15 build soon, and im looking into receivers at this point to figure out what i should use in this build... so my options are finding a good matched upper and lower

so.. anyway, they have to be in spec, id like to find a matching set, fitted well together, and preferably from a company that offers more aftermarket than just receivers, a company i can rely on for future parts as well...

suggestions?
Old July 18, 2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Fishbed77

BCM, Daniel Defenese, Spikes, and PSA are all good choices.
Old July 18, 2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Quentin2

Are you talking stripped receivers? If so most mil spec 7075 T6 receivers are ok, you can go for the rollmark you like. If complete, those mentioned above are great choices.
Old July 18, 2012, 01:08 PM   #4
jason41987

as long as its not a cheaply made out of spec part, which is what im trying to avoid... but i was thinking of trying to find a matched set, that had a tight fit to it

and yeah, im looking for stripped receivers, im going to build a 6.8SPC rifle from parts, mid-length system

what about CMMG products?.. seen they have an ambidextrous upper which is pretty interesting, never seen that before... could be kind of interesting to experiment with since i could probably fab my own side pieces to remove the forward assist, to install a side charging handle, or whatever id be interested in experimenting with that would otherwise permanently modifying an upper at $50 more

im also considering a monolithic upper... since this rifle wont be changing much, and will remain a 16" mid-length rifle, i was thinking of getting one of the mid-length monolithic upper receivers but havent spoken to anyone thats used one of these before to comment or give suggestions on... i like the way the aero precision and mega monolithic uppers look
Old July 18, 2012, 08:09 PM   #5
RT

I like to use BCM or LMT lowers and BCM, DD, LMT or Noveske uppers
Old July 18, 2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Achilles11B

I've built two good AR's with CMMG lowers and had no issues whatsoever. Sadly, I have no experience with their uppers.
Old July 18, 2012, 10:29 PM   #7
Justice06RR

I would go with Daniel Defense or Spikes. I believe DD has upper receivers for $129 right now which is an excellent value.

Monolithic uppers are great too, if you don't plan to change up any parts and keep the rifle in a single configuration.
Old July 18, 2012, 11:38 PM   #8
Creeper

Two matched set upper/lower brands that I've used in the recent past are Black Rain and Les Baer.
I'm building a new gun with a Lancer L15 lower, but it's far from complete, so I've got no objective comments. It seems to be exceptionally well made.

Most of the receivers listed previously, especially CMMG and DD appear to be of a high quality as well.

Cheers,
C
Old July 18, 2012, 11:53 PM   #9
laj246

One of my builds was based on this lower http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...r=700|863|1068 and their upper also. Both parts are of excellent quality and Colt internal parts fit perfectly. They were a little cheaper when I bought mine though.
Old July 19, 2012, 12:03 AM   #10
Creeper

Looks like JV Precision Machine makes lowers for a few gun retailers.

In fact, I found a fairly accurate list of who makes what for who. It's a 4 year old list and not complete, but still probably reasonably valid. I suspect that everything is machined to the end sellers specs, then final detail and finished by the end seller.

Quote:
Lewis Machine & Tool:

LMT
DS Arms
PWA
Eagle
Armalite
Knights Armament (I believe they make their own now)
Barrett

Continental Machine Tool:

Stag
Rock River Arms
High Standard
Noveske
Century (New)
Global Tactical
CLE (compass lake eng. good folks)
S&W
MGI (Hydra Modular System)
Wilson Tactical
Grenadier Precision
Colt

LAR Manufacturing:

LAR
Bushmaster
Ameetec (American Spirit Arms... left hand charging handle uppers)
DPMS
CMMG
Double Star
Fulton Armory
Spike's Tactical

JVP:

Double Star
LRB
Charles Daly

Mega Machine Shop:

Mega (Neat billet receiver set)
GSE (right side charging handle upper)
POF
Alexander Arms

Olympic:

Olympic
SGW
Tromix
Palmetto
Dalphon (no longer in business... bad blood with everyone)
Frankford
Century (Old)

Sun Devil:

Sun Devil forged billet receivers

Superior:

Superior Arms
Lauer (the DuraCoat guys)
Cheers,
C

Last edited by Creeper; July 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old July 19, 2012, 12:40 AM   #11
TimW77

Here we go again...

You start out asking newbie questions (6.5 Grendel vs. 6.8 SPC) and in a few days you are the resident expert with all the answers.

Doing what is called a "SEARCH" would show you this question is asked over and over and over and over with the same people giving the same answers over and over and over.
Old July 19, 2012, 12:58 AM   #12
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW77
in a few days you are the resident expert with all the answers.
What's a matter Tim... some of them responses in your "Comparison of the 6.8 SPC to the 7.62X39mm" thread drivin' you batty?

Cheers,
C
Old July 19, 2012, 09:01 AM   #13
madcratebuilder

For every company that actually machines raw forged parts there are over a dozen different roll marks (sellers). They are all pretty much forged 7075 and machined to mil-spec dimensions. The biggest difference aside from the roll mark is the finish, there are several so called "mil-spec" finishes, type II, type III, some are Teflon finish. There are differences in the mag well bevels, Mega offers the "gator grip" on the front of the mag well. There are the more custom ones with 45* safety selectors, ambi controls and things like that. Then you have billet parts...
Old July 19, 2012, 10:14 AM   #14
Mike38

Quote:
For every company that actually machines raw forged parts there are over a dozen different roll marks (sellers).
Very true. I used to work at a place that made M16/M4/AR15 parts. The uppers and lowers for no less then ten manufactures (more like assemblers) came off the same machining centers. The raw castings out of the same gaylord box. You think companies like Colt, Ruger, S&W make all their own uppers and lowers? Think again.
Old July 19, 2012, 10:20 AM   #15
jason41987

i didnt know just a small group of companies made all the parts and simply stamped the logo of the individual companies on them.. but i guess that makes sense.. so ill know which direction to go for the receivers, it doesnt matter to me what the roll mark is, and if possible id just buy one without and maybe have something of my own engraved there instead later on
Old July 19, 2012, 11:23 AM   #16
jason41987

well, i guess what it comes down to is pick the receiver with the coolest looking rollmark... found one i liked made by ranier, so i guess ill take that lower and probably the aero precision COP monolithic upper
Old July 19, 2012, 11:44 AM   #17
Creeper

Quote:
found one i liked made by ranier
Is it... this one?

Old July 19, 2012, 12:41 PM   #18
jason41987

definitely.. thats a cool rollmark, i really like it