The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 3, 2014, 11:18 AM   #1
HoneyDutch

Trade my .38 revolver for a .40 compact?

Hello, I was just given an offer to trade my Taurus Model 82 for a S&W Model 99ol .40cal compact pistol. My revolver is about 6 years old, 4 inch, blued, rubber grip, pretty good shape. the Smith looks like what is on Google, small and black.

Would this be a good trade? I've been considering getting something more compact but am unsure of this one. I've also never shot a .40 caliber before, but have 9mm and .357 and could handle both well. The only compact pistol I've shot before was a Ruger .380 and the only thing that took getting used to was the size of the gun itself. For me, the .38 feels a tad weak but am still confident with it.
Old July 3, 2014, 11:49 AM   #2
BfloBill

Save up and get the automatic pistol you want, but keep the revolver too.

I am not as hardcore on "Never Sell!" as some people, but one of the instances I wish I stuck to that mantra was when I got rid of my .38 S&W snubbie for a Beretta Tomcat .32. I ditched a classic I would still use today for a piece of crap I am glad I got rid of.
Old July 3, 2014, 11:57 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

Keep the wheel.
Add something else.
Old July 3, 2014, 01:54 PM   #4
Jay24bal

I would recommend shooting a compact 40 S&W, if you can. If there is a range near you that rents them, it will be well worth your time and $ to do so before you make this trade, if you do make it.

The 40 is renowned for its "snapiness," and this is even more pronounced in a compact gun. It is not for everyone, and some people have a hard time with the recoil and follow up shots because of it.

That said, it can be overcome with proper fundamentals and practice. After all, I carry a compact 40 every day, and love it.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old July 3, 2014, 04:41 PM   #5
skizzums

if you do like the gun, its a pretty good trade, you would probably be 70-80$ in the black

and if you end up really missing the wheel gun, they have thousands for sale for under 250$
Old July 3, 2014, 05:38 PM   #6
TraumaRN

Keep the revolver and save up some $ for a weapon you wouldn't consider selling or trading
Old July 3, 2014, 08:13 PM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
My revolver is about 6 years old, 4 inch, blued, rubber grip, pretty good shape. the Smith looks like what is on Google, small and black.

Would this be a good trade?
What's it for?

You say the revolver's been good. My inclination would be to keep the revolver.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 3, 2014, 08:25 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I am not as hardcore on "Never Sell!" as some people,
Hi, Some People here!
Keep the revolver, save up for a semi-auto.
To paraphrase Will Rogers, "Never met a trade I didn't regret!"
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 3, 2014, 10:23 PM   #9
HoneyDutch

I went and looked at it earlier before I read this and didn't take it. I'm attached to my wheel gun for some reason. Thank you all for the replies

Edit: Just want to say how awesome everyone is on this forum. I haven't been on this much but when I ask silly questions, you are all very kind and informative.

Last edited by HoneyDutch; July 3, 2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old July 3, 2014, 11:51 PM   #10
Broker

A S&W model 99 40 S&W is a good pistol, & a Taurus is, well, a Taurus. Run, don't walk to make that trade!
Old July 4, 2014, 09:09 PM   #11
Boncrayon

Trade my .38 revolver for a .40 compact?

Why trade what you are handy with? Keep it and get the .40 compact (what brand?) to train with and expand your options. I'm also a believer in never "trading" a fine firearm for another, because it seems like a good deal at the moment. Why does the other person want to trade for your pistol in the first place, if he doesn't like his .40 compact. Your revolver is the most dependable option in protection!
Old July 4, 2014, 09:28 PM   #12
Leejack

I've had quite a few of both over the years, but the older I get the more I lean towards revolvers. The M82 is a good service 38 and there is plenty of good .38 special ammo out there to choose from.

It would be great if you can keep the revolver and find another way to fund the auto.