The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 18, 2013, 02:19 PM   #1
rambutan316

Looking for a new training/plinker 22 handgun

I've been looking for something I can shoot at the range on a regular basis to get some good practice in. Should I get a Browning Buckmark or a Smith and Wesson Model 17? I've handled the Buckmark and I really liked it, especially with the contour grips. I've also heard great things about its accuracy and reliability. I'm also considering the Model 17 because I'm a big fan of revolvers and I've heard that it is one of the best DA 22 revolvers ever made. However, a new one can cost me almost twice as much as a Buckmark. Which one would make the better gun? I'm leaning more towards the Buckmark simply because I can afford it more. Whichever one I get, I plan on shooting a lot (around 200-300 rounds a month). Thanks!
Old January 18, 2013, 06:11 PM   #2
bigghoss

I doubt one is better than the other for just practicing. If you have a center fire that you keep for defense then you'll want something as close to that as possible.
Old January 18, 2013, 07:00 PM   #3
bonefamily

^^ This. I purchased a Kel Tec P3 to use for a carry gun and bought a Beretta Bobcat .22lr for many rounds of practice for it. My wife just got a Bersa Thunder .380 for carry and is going to get the Bersa Thunder .22lr for many rounds of practice.

However, your training needs may be different than mine.
Old January 18, 2013, 07:04 PM   #4
K_Mac

I agree with the others. Something that feels and works similarly to your defensive handgun of choice is good advice. With that said, the model 17 Masterpiece is the sweetest handgun I have had the pleasure of shooting. It is on my short list if I ever save enough nickles.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:06 PM   #5
chris in va

Have a look at the Ruger SR22.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:10 PM   #6
bustersmaster

Bonefamily, I second that Bersa Thunder 22. I have a lot "scarier" guns than that, but that's the one I enjoy shooting the most.
I had a 617 before acquiring the Bersa. I actually prefer the Bersa. For the price difference, I could have bought 3 of the Bersa's.
Old January 19, 2013, 01:02 AM   #7
Viper225

I am a Revolver guy. I have both a 4" 617 as well as an LCR 22. I really like them both.
I also have a Ruger MK III Hunter with 4" barrel that has a Magazine Ejector, Take Down Screw conversion, etc. I like it pretty well also.
We have Buck Marks used at the range. They seem to jam less than the Rugers.

We are getting more and more of the GSG 1911 22's showing up at the range all the time. They seem to run fine. Everyone who has one seems to really like it.

The Ruger SR22 seem like a nice pistol also. I have not heard any thing bad about them either.

Bob
Old January 19, 2013, 03:06 AM   #8
jason_iowa

I picked up a 617 recently. I'm very happy with it.
Old January 19, 2013, 07:23 AM   #9
CajunBass

Just get a good 22 and go shooting. If you like a revolver, get a revolver. The Smith & Wesson 17 is one of the best, along with it's sibling, the Model 18. Colt, Dan Wesson, Ruger, Taurus, and High-Standard are others I have experience with. Ruger and Browning, Bersa, Beretta, or an old Colt or High-Standard are all good choices.

It's nice if you can get something like your carry gun, but the biggest thing is to just shoot.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; January 19, 2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old January 19, 2013, 11:52 AM   #10
L_Killkenny

^^^^^^^^ Big Plus 1! Over thinkin simple things leads to headaches.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:00 PM   #11
weblance

If you like the Browning, get it. Its half the cost of the S&W... you can use the savings for ammo. You are giving up nothing with the Buckmark, over the Smith. It will last you a lifetime, and provide a reliable, accurate pistol for anything you choose to do with it.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:31 AM   #12
blfuller

I've been eyeing the new Ruger single-ten's. These are essentially a single-six with a 10 shot cylinder. It really depends on what your revolver preference is, single action or double action. These are affordable, nicely made revolver.