The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which Should I get?
Makarov PM 1 25.00%
CZ-82 3 75.00%
Baikal Makarov 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 12, 2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Killshot_Ben

Is the Baikal Makarov collectible?

After doing research, I have come to the conclusion of buying either a Makarov, or CZ-82. I like the design, and ruggedness of the Mak better, but the CZ- has somewhat more capability, at a lower price. Also, the makarov looks a little bit better, and is concealed more easily.

At the same price, I would still pick the Mak, but the CZ seems a little bit better of a value.

So, the commercial version Mak, the Baikal, seems like a good compromise, in more functionality, in the form of better sights, a larger mag, and better grips. However, I try to get guns that will add to my collection, (eastern-bloc and Russian arms) even though this gun will be for defense.

My question is, is the Baikal still collectanile? Obviously not in the same way as the millitary models, but will it still work for my collection, in a similar way to the CZ, or original Mak?

Thanks!
Old June 13, 2012, 05:29 AM   #2
KevK.

Just some more to ponder for you.

The 10 and 12 round mags for the Baikal seem to be expensive and hard to find. They are more like a double stack that feeds down to a single stack. They will use the 8 round mak mags, but since they are single stack they seem to be a 'loose' on the base plate. There used to be a company that makes plates that will hold an 8 round mag tight in the mag well opening but I think they stopped making them. I've also heard that the magpro mags made for them are not very good at all.

I'd like to buy all 3 three guns. I don't have the gun budget to have a large collection so what I buy wont be 'safe queens'.

Collectable..I'd rate the Makarov, Baikal, CZ82.
Practical (everyday carry), CZ82, Makarov, Baikal.

Just my 2 cents..
Old June 13, 2012, 05:37 AM   #3
Killshot_Ben

Thanks for the input! I'll go with the regular Mak.
Old June 13, 2012, 06:16 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Posted in the wrong forum.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/anno...t.php?f=1&a=97

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread

Tags
9x18 , baikal , cz-82 , makarov , russian