The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 12, 2000, 12:47 PM   #1
Jarhead_22

I'm going down to just north of the Mexico border for whitetails this year, and I wanted to know if any experienced folks would recommend going bigger, or if my .270 will get it done.

TIA
Jarhead

------------------
The gun you surrender will be melted down to form the chains you will wear from then on.
Old September 12, 2000, 12:58 PM   #2
BadMedicine

I kinda chuckled when a few threads ago a guy aked if the .243 is big enough for deer "if they're really close." These guns pack a punch. You can load them up, and shoot them far, and yes, thay're plenty aduquate for deer. A .270 will do fine. Are they coups deer you'll be hunting? because my understanding of them is a big one is 120lbs, averaging around 95-105. The shots at these deer are ussually long range, because they're very wiley. Most people sitt on a big hill all day and glass, and if they see something, they shoot it from there, or risk spooking it by trying a stock. For really long range shots, I'd take our 6mm, It has a really big scope on it, and you could snipe a deer further than I wanna shoot at it. I would actually probably get a lighter than usuall load for your gun, IF these are coup deer you're after. They're not that big, and the farther shot capabuilities you get in trade may be well worth it.
Old September 12, 2000, 02:16 PM   #3
BMiracle

Adding to what BadMedicine said, a 270 is plenty of gun for a whitetail-even really big ones. There is not much you can't do with a 270.
Old September 12, 2000, 04:09 PM   #4
LoneStar

First, the .270 is PERFECT for Whitetail. It's

I <think> that Coues deer are found a little more west, in the more desert regions of far west Texas, Northern Mexico, New Mexico, and Arizona. A good south Texas buck will weigh a around 200lbs on the hoof.
Old September 12, 2000, 09:50 PM   #5
Jarhead_22

Outstanding. Thanks. Yeah, I saw some Coue's deer when I was in Southeast Arizona a few years back hunting javelina.

Jarhead

------------------
The gun you surrender will be melted down to form the chains you will wear from then on.
Old September 13, 2000, 06:53 AM   #6
muleshoe

There isn't a deer in North America that the .270 won't put down. My father inlaw killed several moose with his.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control
Old September 13, 2000, 10:53 AM   #7
LoneStar

Yeah, should have mentioned that.
.270 will take any deer, I've heard some use them on elk.

My dad took a very large mule deer @ ~400 yards with his. One shot. I wouldn't recommend that kind of shooting to everyone, and have never tried a shot that far, but Dad and the "Ol' Meatstick" are muy simpatico
Old September 14, 2000, 12:17 AM   #8
kjm

I hunt in the area and use a 30-06. A 270 will be even better I think. Heck, if I weren't such a sissy, I'd shoot 'em with a .243. I don't see why not.
Old September 14, 2000, 05:54 AM   #9
yorec

I've used my .270 to take several antelope, mule deer, elk, and one very large shiras moose.

Yep it'll do the job on deer.

Oh, and since I missed the .243 debate, my mother has taken antelope, mule deer and a couple elk with hers.