The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 12, 2012, 06:34 PM   #1
David R. Svatos

needed model 94 info

My first hunt and hunting rifle was with a 94 in you guessed it a 30-30. I was told at the time it was a pre 64 which it looked well broken in (read worn). when I got it. I was wiping it down today and out of curiosity went online to look it up and it was made in 64. It's about 30,000 past the pre. 64 cut off. I know it makes a difference on bolt guns, feed, extractor etc. my question is does it make a difference on lever guns? The rifle still shoots well and I missed a shot at a 3 point (western count) that year. Thanks in advance

Last edited by David R. Svatos; November 12, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old November 12, 2012, 06:40 PM   #2
JimDandy

Depends on what you mean by difference. Value? Probably. That's usually what that sort of designation means. There may be a minor design change that occured then. Maybe Winchester was aquired by new owners and something else changed. Maybe some law was passed. I don't know, I'm not old enough, and haven't been around long enough to research into that part of things yet. But I'm fairly certain that being 30000 newer won't make it go bang appreciably less reliably. I'd guess it's an asset value thing, and a great one liner for why you missed, but not a serious impact on performance.
Old November 12, 2012, 06:46 PM   #3
tillmanrjt

Model 1894 information,.....

Good evening,

I am new to this forum but see a lot of very good information being given by experts on these older weapons. Like others I have a question on the date of manufacture for my fathers Model 1894 Winchester. It is a 30 WCF and the serial number is 198873. From the databases I have found, some say they are not that accurate, I have come up with a "made in 1900" date.
Does that sound accurate to you folks? If I can figure out how to put a picture on here, I would love a guesstimate evaluation of the possible worth.

Thank you very much for any information you can offer
Old November 12, 2012, 06:58 PM   #4
JimDandy

I'd have to look next time I'm around it, but I know where to find one from the late 19-teens. And value is enough I wouldn't fire it much if at all anymore, I'd stick in a gun safe, and buy a new one for dragging around.
Old November 12, 2012, 07:05 PM   #5
David R. Svatos

I don't care about the value, I was more interested in manufacturing / cost cutting ie : cheaper parts, stamped vs forged, machined you know that sort of thing. This old rifle started its life in my family and will stay here for a few more generations at least.
Old November 12, 2012, 11:46 PM   #6
DPris
Member Emeritus

The '64s involved cheaper parts, a change in at least one screw, the sintered metal frame that can't be re-blued without substantial effort, and a lesser wood.

There were marked differences in the 94, it was more than just a minor design change.

Denis
Old December 17, 2012, 10:42 AM   #7
ENOCH

Model 94 questions

Hello. I'm a newbie on this site. I have a Winchester model 94AE. I've been to all the websites trying to find the issue date for this rifle - all to no avail. The screw is present on the underside which according to some pundits means pre 64. The gun does not have the golden trigger and has at least a grade 2 walnut. Would appeciate help on manf. date. SSN: 556xxxx
Old December 17, 2012, 11:25 AM   #8
Sodbuster

Welcome to the forum, ENOCH. The 94 AE was introduced in 1984, believe yours was made in 1989.

And welcome, tillmanrjt. I come up with 1900 also.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old December 17, 2012, 03:28 PM   #9
PetahW

FWIW, AFAIK the 198,000 SN range Model 1894's came out of the polishing shop & were sent to the warehouse in 1903.

http://www.shootersforum.com/winches...y-records.html

Old December 17, 2012, 07:25 PM   #10
moisanfan11

Pre 64 are worth more but post work fine, at least mine from around 1971 works fine
Old December 18, 2012, 08:35 AM   #11
jmr40

Winchester model 70's actually started a quality decline in the mid-50's. By 1963 Winchester decided they couldn't continue to make the 70 the same way, produce a quality gun and still sell it at a profit. The gun went through a major re-design. It was so far different from the older gun that it should have been given a new model designation. Pre-64 model 70's are truly a different rifle that used to bring premium. For a variety of reasons most pre-64 model 70's no longer bring the premium they used to bring.

The model 94 did not suffer the same design changes in 1964. Quality did decline on them, but it was more gradual. A 94 made during the mid to late 60's is very little different than a pre-64. But because 1964 is the date stuck in the minds of shooters they bring a little less money.

By the 1970's right up to the end of production in 2006 were the questionable years for 94's. There seems to be no pattern that I can figure out. Some of these guns are garbage, others are as good as any ever made. Winchester quality was up and down and all over the place back then.
Old December 19, 2012, 12:13 PM   #12
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40

The model 94 did not suffer the same design changes in 1964. Quality did decline on them, but it was more gradual. A 94 made during the mid to late 60's is very little different than a pre-64
That would be in error, Sir - since Winchester made what was then received as racical changes to the Model 94 in 1964, which led to myriad years of complaints from owners, buyers and gunwriters, with eventual upgrading in 1970.

The Model 94's multiple changes of 1964 included, among other things these major beefs:

1) A change in the receivers from forged steel to a cast/sintered steel which was then plated to resemble bluing & other finishes.

2) A change in the cartridge lifter/carrier from a steel piece machined from solid to a stamped steel sheet matal copy.

3) Multiple replacements in the action of the former solid pivol pins with hollow roll pins.

All three issues were somewhat addressed, starting with the 1970 model year Model 94 guns.