The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 5, 2012, 12:25 PM   #26
hermannr

Think about it this way:

TX recognizes OK's CPL. True? OK is one of the better states, even WA recognizes OK. www.hangunlaw.us.

TX will recognize a non-resident out of state permit? True. look in hangunlaw.us.

So the question is not, Is your OK permit valid in TX, you know it is....the question is, does OK revoke your permit when you move out of state?

The OK SDA statute does not address this situation. You will have to request a change of address and see what happens. I would suggest that you do just that...request a change of address...no special explaination...just put it in as if you had moved to any other house.

If OK revokes your license (I don't think they will) you have your answer. If OK just issues a new license with your new address, you can wait on your TX permit until your OK expires.

The answer to the NY question..I know, and in all things with NY, it depends on the Judge...
Old April 5, 2012, 01:53 PM   #27
brickeyee

Quote:
IN TEXAS, OUR legislature spent quite a bit of "attention" on the issue of concealed handgun licensing and has done so at each legislative session.........and its front page news. Our last session dealt with campus carry and employer parking lot carry. The Texas State Rifle Association has an excellent lobbyist in Alice Tripp.

Funny, not a single news article regarding drivers licenses.
You do not get it either.

Driver's license rules do not make any news since they have been written and agreed to among the states for a long time now.

CC permits and the rules and reciprocity around them are not anywhere near the level of driver's licenses.

Will Texas recognize an out of state handgun permit that expires during the period the non-resident is in Texas?

It is a lot more than just considering simple issues of reciprocity.

In Virginia out Secretary of State and Director of Public Safety handle the reciprocity arrangements, not the legislature.

There are stil plenty of detailed questions that have not arisen yet.

Like the one at least partly at issue here.

Is an OK permit valid once you are no longer a resident?
And if changing residency affects the permit, what is the view of Texas towards the permit?

Does Texas have any process to revoke reciprocity for an out of state permit holder?
I bet there is a statute that allows Texas to revoke the privilege of driving on the public roads in Texas for an out of state driver.

What if the out of state person violates a Texas law that would result in a resident permit being revoked?
Can a non-resident just laugh and continue carrying?
Old April 5, 2012, 02:07 PM   #28
Spats McGee
Staff

If OK doesn't issue non-resident permits, the analysis is really pretty simple:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma legislature
The following requirements shall apply to any person making application to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation for a concealed handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act. The person must:
1. Be a citizen of the United States;
2. Establish a residency in the State of Oklahoma. For purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, the term “residency” shall apply to any person who either possesses a valid Oklahoma driver license or state photo identification card, and physically resides in this state or has permanent military orders within this state and possesses a valid driver license from another state where such person claims residency; . . . .
Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 21, § 1290.9 (West)

If you move out of the state, I don't think the OK CHL is valid any longer.
Old April 5, 2012, 03:04 PM   #29
Fishing_Cabin

I normally do not crosslink to another forum. But so those here can read of others experience in this particular matter and, what happened to their OK permit. (mods, I do hope that it is not forbidden, if so feel free to edit/delete)

Post #3 and #4 here:

http://www.okshooters.com/showthread...highlight=move

General topic here:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...hl-tx-chl.html

These folks have been unable to keep their OK permit after moving to another state and hence, not having the required residence required, as Spats McGee so kindly pointed out.

Have a wonderfuly great evening!
Old April 5, 2012, 05:32 PM   #30
dogtown tom

Quote:
brickeyee
Quote:
Quote:
IN TEXAS, OUR legislature spent quite a bit of "attention" on the issue of concealed handgun licensing and has done so at each legislative session.........and its front page news. Our last session dealt with campus carry and employer parking lot carry. The Texas State Rifle Association has an excellent lobbyist in Alice Tripp.
Funny, not a single news article regarding drivers licenses.
You do not get it either.

Driver's license rules do not make any news since they have been written and agreed to among the states for a long time now.
Sorry brickeye, I DO get it. Swampyankee said "...carry permits get very little attention by the general public and state legislatures...."

This is simply not true. Please point me to those drivers license advocacy websites, where are the anti drivers license counterparts to the Brady campaign?

In Texas........where the OP resides........concealed carry is VERY much in the public eye and most definitely gets the attention of our state legislature.

Campus carry and employer parking lot bills were covered on the nightly news nearly every week for months.

Quote:
CC permits and the rules and reciprocity around them are not anywhere near the level of driver's licenses.
Really?
You need to read Texas law.

Quote:
Will Texas recognize an out of state handgun permit that expires during the period the non-resident is in Texas?
Posting that I "don't get it" and you then post this?
For someone that gets it you should know the answer.

Texas honors VALID permits from some states. If the OP's permit is not valid, he's in violation.

Quote:
Does Texas have any process to revoke reciprocity for an out of state permit holder?
I bet there is a statute that allows Texas to revoke the privilege of driving on the public roads in Texas for an out of state driver.
An invalid or expired drivers license can get you jailed in several states.

Quote:
What if the out of state person violates a Texas law that would result in a resident permit being revoked?
Can a non-resident just laugh and continue carrying?
Seriously?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 5, 2012, 05:47 PM   #31
dnr1128

I just recently moved fron mississippi to oklahoma. I contaced osbi abiut recognizing my ms permit and they referred me to contact the issuing agency in mississippi. I called the ms highway patrol and they told me that as soon as i surrender my ms dl the firearms permit will cease being valid.

Contact osbi and find out if the permit will be invalidated when you stop being a ok resident (give up your ok dl).

Sent from my TC970 (Wi-Fi) using Tapatalk
Old April 5, 2012, 08:17 PM   #32
Fishing_Cabin

SwampYankee, and all,

When reading various laws, we need to remove our own interest, and desires for a loophole, or an exception. From first glance, the OK concealed carry permit is not only geared toward toward a resident, one may argue that the intent is for only a resident to have the permit, such as my state in NC.

What causes the issue is our own mind, trying to read in to the law, what is not there. I mean no offense to anyone here. Sometimes we need to remove ourself from the equasion, and go back to what are the elements, and what is the spirit of the law. I do know that at times, where emotion and our "wants" come in to play that it is not easy to do. If we are going to have an impartial view of the law, that is how I was trained years ago.

Yes, I did give others experience, but beyond that, we, as responsible gun owners need to stop looking for an exception, loophole, etc, and look at what we have. Again, I do not mean any offense. If a law is set up for only residents to apply and maintain a permit, one may argue that if a person becomes a non-resident it is "generally" null and void, looking at it on its face. If we as a group dislike what we have, it is up to us to get a bill introduced to each state affected and give support to get things changed.

I will admit that concealed carry gets more attention in some areas vs others. If we, representing responsible firearms owners, are going to stay responsible under the law, we have to look at the law as it is, and not as we want it to be.

Sure, I would love major changes, but it isnt going to happen, yet.

We have to work together. I would like to personally ask all of you in this topic to take a step back, and look at it from the outside. What are "we" showing to others?

I, and others try to work together. I dislike calling anyone out. But we all must be honest and work together toward our common goals. If we disagree between each other, lets not take it out, or be adversarial toward each other. I have had a few disagreements with others here, but I try, or at least I do keep it in mind, to be respectful to all.

We can do more together, then we can apart is all I really have to say.

SwampYankee, please accept my apology, as I do not intend to call you as a single person out, but I more feel we need to take a step back at times and work together. I hope you understand that.

I wish all of you the best! Enjoy your wonderful night!
Old April 5, 2012, 11:49 PM   #33
Frank Ettin
Staff

The OP's question has been answered, and things are getting personal.

So this one is closed.

But in closing I need to point out this excellent and very apt observation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing_Cabin
...When reading various laws, we need to remove our own interest, and desires for a loophole, or an exception. From first glance, the OK concealed carry permit is not only geared toward toward a resident, one may argue that the intent is for only a resident to have the permit, such as my state in NC.

What causes the issue is our own mind, trying to read in to the law, what is not there. I mean no offense to anyone here. Sometimes we need to remove ourself from the equasion, and go back to what are the elements, and what is the spirit of the law. I do know that at times, where emotion and our "wants" come in to play that it is not easy to do...
QFT
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread