The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 19, 2012, 01:23 AM   #26
Quentin2

The Magpul MBUS2 rear flip up sight is only $47.50 at Amazon, free shipping. Excellent rear sight, I have three of them. Milspec height of course. Be careful, there are knockoffs of this one too.

http://www.amazon.com/Magpul-MBUS-Re...ds=magpul+mbus
Old December 19, 2012, 08:13 PM   #27
ThomasT

Hey Quentin thanks for the link. My local gunstore has the same ones for $52 + tax. I am buying the carry handle that "Dan" said he has for sale. I am sending the money for it tommorow. Its a RRA and made of metal. Brand new and unused. The MBUS2 is made of plastic. For a little extra I will take something made of metal any day.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:27 PM   #28
Quentin2

Well you got your carry handle! I think RRA is commercial height which would match your front sight and it's not a knockoff, it was made at a US forge.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:12 PM   #29
ThomasT

Thanks for the information. I own lots of firearms (over 50) but these rifles are new territory for me. I can't wait to get it and start working with it. I have a Weaver 4X that is sort of a transition model with the steel tube and micro-trac adjustments and about 5" of eye releif that I plan on installing on it to check the actuall accuracy. I also have a couple of 2x7 to try if I want.

Anyway this is the most excited I have been about a gun purchase in a long time.
Old December 26, 2012, 04:13 PM   #30
05kas05

sounds familiar

i have the exact rifle you bought and i had a R.R.A handle put on it along with a hogue rubber grip also and i like it very much. i wanted the iron sights and carry handle so i guess im in the minority so to each their own. i think i might try to find a smaller hand guard up front but other than that i dont think i will change anything else. i wanted a smith&wesson MP15 but no one had one in stock then the recent events happened so i was lucky to get my dpms at a decent price i just hope i dont have any problems with it as i see alot of mixed reviews. i guess only time will tell.keep us posted on how you like it.
Old December 26, 2012, 08:40 PM   #31
ThomasT

Hello 05kas05 I thought my thread was dead and gone. I am glad you posted. I just got conformation that my gun has been shipped. It should be hear on the 29th. I was never an AR fan but have to tell you I am excited about getting this gun. I have no plans to flip it for a major profit. I did manage to get 3 20 round mags from Brownells before they sold out.

So here is a link to my gun. I hope to use this as a basis for figuring out how to build an AR. I have lots of other guns so this will be a new adventure for me. Maybe I can find out what all the hype is about.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=321703567

I forgot to ask. Did you have to buy a taller front site? I have been told I may have to. If I do it will be the cheapest part of this deal.
Old December 27, 2012, 01:49 AM   #32
05kas05

cool glad to hear it will be here soon, as far as the sites go you should not have to change anything as far as i know the dpms has a front a2 site and the rra webpage says the carry handle is an a2 rear site so i dont see any problems here are some pics they are not great but its the best i could get.
also i dont have a level but best i can tell the front and rear are the same height.

Last edited by 05kas05; December 27, 2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old December 27, 2012, 02:29 AM   #33
05kas05

and 2 more

Old December 27, 2012, 09:21 AM   #34
ThomasT

05kas05 thanks for the pics. That AR looks like an AR should look. My gun should be delivered on the 29th. I just hope my dealer is back in town to accept it. The seller said he wasn't going to ship it till the 28th since my dealer told him he would be out of town till after the first. So we'll see.

My handle has been maile to me and the three 20 round mags have been sent per brownells. So maybe next week I can do a little shooting. Good thing I have lots of ammo. It would be a bummer to have a new gun and no ammo available.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:24 AM   #35
loose_holster_dan

i hope the handle arrives by the time your gun does. depending upon where you are in texas, you'll have some great weather to go shoot it. my cousin in houston just posted a pic of him trap shooting in shorts, but my grandpa in dallas told me they had a few inches of snow when i called him yesterday.

i'm taking my rock river 308 out on monday here. it's going to be frigid.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 28, 2012, 12:30 PM   #36
ThomasT

My gun should arrive at my dealer on saturday the 29th. Its a wet 40* here today and thats the high. Sunday night its supposed to start raining. So I don't know when I will go shoot but it will ASAP.

I'll keep you guys posted with pics when I do some shooting.
Old December 29, 2012, 05:31 PM   #37
05kas05

Is it here is it here? Haha just checking to see what part of texas you in ?
Old December 30, 2012, 06:18 PM   #38
ThomasT

05 my dealer told the seller they wouldn't be back from out of town till the 2nd. The dealers wife got the bug thats going around so they didn't go out of town. Only problem is she didn't let FedEx know she was home so they are holding it till the 2nd. Dammit!!! I got my handle yesterday and was really hoping to get my rifle. Oh well. I guess I will live three more days.

I am in the south Ft Worth area. Burleson to be exact. Former home of Kelly Clarkson.
Old December 31, 2012, 05:50 AM   #39
rep1954

Not trying to pick on anyone's photo ability but when your taking pictures of your black rifles use a dark background not a white one. Having more white in the picture under exposes the black and the gun becomes a shadow.
Old January 2, 2013, 01:59 PM   #40
ThomasT

OK here it is. I just got back from the dealer. Cool gun. My youngest son (20) wants me to leave it to him in my will. I told him I am taking it with me to the happy hunting ground.

Maybe I can make it out to shoot it this weekend. Thank goodness I have lots of ammo on hand. Its cold outside so the pics were taken in the garage so they aren't very good. Plus all I have for a camera is an old Sony Mavica. Yes virginia, the one that takes floppy disc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-002S (3).JPG (32.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-001S (3).JPG (33.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-003S (3).JPG (33.1 KB, 17 views)
Old January 2, 2013, 02:54 PM   #41
Xaak

Your Gun

Hey,

Just wanted to add a note that while some firearms are not up to other's 'standards', if you like it, you checked it out, and you paid for it, its the right gun for you.

I say this as I often hear how my Kimber is not as good as a Les Baer or Ed Brown. Honestly, its MY Kimber and I like it, so you must take the same approach with your choice.

I'd be interested on your opinion of the rifle you chose when you get a chance to give it some use.
Old January 2, 2013, 07:40 PM   #42
ThomasT

Xaak I stopped taking internet posters serious after I got my second Mini-14 and had two that shot far better than some would have you believe. And I am sure there are better ARs than the DPMS I bought. But as long as it works and is decently accurate it will do everything I want it to do. I am not about to spend $2000 or better just for a gun that throws away my brass. This is a blaster for me. To go along with my mini for HD and plinking at my buddies land. And so far I like it a lot.

I just took it apart and ran a patch down the barrel. I took the bolt apart to see how it worked and to lube it. What a simple design. No wonder people are so hung up on these guns.

I checked the sights with a laser bore sighter. With the elevation set on the 6/3 per the manual the elevation looks very close. I had to crank in a little left to have the dot on top of the post. Shooting will do the fine tuning. Maybe this weekend if it warms up a little.
Old January 3, 2013, 12:51 PM   #43
loose_holster_dan

glad my handle found a happy home
good looking rifle! by buddy has that one. rattles a bit and the plastic feels a little cheaper than my rock river, but it's lighter and MUCH cheaper.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old January 3, 2013, 06:35 PM   #44
ThomasT

Dan your handle does know the peace of a permanant home. Thats what I wanted. After I shoot it I will be able to tell for sure if I need the taller front post like Quentin2 said I may need. But so far as I can tell it should be fine.

Possible snow and sleet tonight and tommorow so I don't know if shooting it will work out for this weekend.

And the buttstock does feel like cheap plastic. I don't know, I don't have another gun to compare it to. As long as it works it should be fine for my uses. It does seem to be tight between the upper and the lower. No wedgee needed yet.
Old January 3, 2013, 07:31 PM   #45
05kas05

nice looking ar you got there glad to see you got it, now lets just hope we get to keep them with all this awb mumbo jumbo going around.
i have not been able shoot mine yet as i dont have alot of ammo to burn at the moment so i will have to wait on that, but the more i look and handle it the more im leaning toward changing the buttstock and handguard but im still not 100% sure yet.

hey rep1954 your not picking on anyone's photo taking ability with that picture taking info i actually appreciate it as i just picked up my first dslr a rebel t3i and am trying to learn all i can about photography. its actually funny as you were typing that helpful info i was just about to start reading a new book i got in the mail called understanding exposure. hopefully next time i post some pics they will be atleast a little better in quality and exposure.
Old January 4, 2013, 02:30 AM   #46
Quentin2

Quote:
Dan your handle does know the peace of a permanant home. Thats what I wanted. After I shoot it I will be able to tell for sure if I need the taller front post like Quentin2 said I may need. But so far as I can tell it should be fine...

And the buttstock does feel like cheap plastic. I don't know, I don't have another gun to compare it to. As long as it works it should be fine for my uses. It does seem to be tight between the upper and the lower. No wedgee needed yet.

ratshooter, I'm pretty sure the DPMS front sight and RRA carry handle both are commercial height so you shouldn't have problems zeroing. Now later the front post could be an issue, if you go to a third party flip up rear sight, most of them are milspec height.

Most cheap stocks on a stock AR rattle around so that's normal. Once you press it into your shoulder it tightens up and doesn't affect your shooting. If you find it annoying, the Magpul CTR fits very tight and eliminates rattle. Again you have to get the commercial size CTR since DPMS uses that diameter, not milspec. I'm a milspec guy now and won't let myself get caught up in having two different sizes anymore!