The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 5, 2010, 02:13 AM   #1
KevinBeyerJr

Sentry 5 gun safe

As agreed with my wife before even getting my one and only pistol, I am now starting to look at rifles, thanks to this new addiction that I have acquired. I am sure that this is going to be my first rifle safe, but it is the more economical choice before investing a good amount of money for a rifle, scope, and bi-pod as well.

I am sure that there is a good amount of people in this community are familiar with Sentry Safes, so I should have a clear answer to my question. My question is if I can somehow and how I can mount pistol holsters to inside the door of that small safe. I plan on purchasing 2 more concealed carry size pistols for my wife and I. So I would like to have at least 2 holsters inside the door, while keeping one in my smaller safe for easier access.

From the pictures that I have seen, I can't tell if the inner door is padded like some safes are, so your expertises would be very much welcomed.

Old February 5, 2010, 11:10 AM   #2
a1abdj

I don't believe that you're going to be able to do much with what's already there on that particular unit.

However, it should be fairly simple to add pegboard or some other device that you can use to hang handguns.
Old February 6, 2010, 03:13 PM   #3
KevinBeyerJr

looking elsewhere

My wife and I went to Gander mountain the other day, to price out bb guns for my nephews, and for ****s and giggles I decided to check out the safe area to see if I could have a good look at the sentry brand safes first hand. Unfortunately, I didn't see one on display, but while checking out the stack-on brand safes, which for the most part displeased me (the cheaper ones), we turned a corner and low and behold there was an impressive 10 gun Stack-On safe with locking bolts as apposed to the sheet metal bars that I don't trust at the very least. I liked it, but I knew my wife was going to probably say something about the price, so I was about to move on, when she said it was not that bad of a price, and that was the one that she wanted. Hey, I won't complain, it even was digital, which I prefer. If I were to of chosen the Sentry brand, I would of probably kept 1 key in the other safe, and the other on my key ring, which would of taken a few more vital seconds, if I needed to get in there in a hurry.

http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus.../gsb-710e.html
Old February 6, 2010, 10:48 PM   #4
cloudcroft

Kevin,

If you look at Sentry and Stack-On, they seem so identical they may have been made in the very same factory (Stack-On "Elite" models are their more expensive ones). So if you like the Sentry line, look at some Stack-On models, too, before you buy in case one you like a Stack-On better or, one brand -- for the same sized-safe -- is cheaper than the other.

IIRC, Walmart, Academy Sports and Sports Authority carried Sentry or Stack-On (research that online). If you have one of these stores nearby, call them or go down in-person to see what they have in stock on the floor. The 5/10/15-gun models (Sentry or Stack-On) are light and small enough for one person to manhandle into a SUV/PU truck so you'll save $$ on having someone deliver it to your house/apartment. I believe even Home Depot and Lowes carry safes, too...check that online or call the store.

I have several "safes" (actually, they are called RSCs) and one is an older Sentry model, the G2215, which is 10-gun sized.

Good luck,

-- John D.

P.S. Avoid the thinner-metal "gun cabinets" and get a "gun safe" (i.e., a RSC)...whatever your budget will afford. Thicker steel is better, but also means more expensive. As for what kind of LOCK to get, the general concensus is it's preferable to get combination/mechanical locks rather than the digital/elecrical locks (research that issue, too). -- JD

Last edited by cloudcroft; February 8, 2010 at 09:29 PM.

Tags
5-gun , safe , sentry , storage