The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 27, 2002, 01:49 PM   #1
Pvt. Joker

Browning BAR .308

Hey guys,
Did a search, but couldn't find out what I needed to know. I recently borrowed a Remington 740 Woodmaster 30.06 to deer hunt with. I liked it so much I decided I need a autoloading deer rifle.

I am a Browning Man by nature, so naturally I was really interested in the BAR. I really like the fit and finish of the rifle, Its so Purty! I am interested in the BAR LightWeight, probably in .308 since I will only be using it for Whitetail here in WI, and I think .06 might be a bit much for my needs.

They sure are pretty, but can they shoot? I always like a rifle that which will outshoot me, Which normally isn't a problem.

Can I properly mount a scope to allow the use of the Iron Sights? I really like the idea of having them as backup or for close in shots.

How is the trigger on the BAR, that was the biggest downfall of the Woodmaster, the trigger was extremely heavy.

What about the BOSS, is it even offered on the .308? I seem to recall I read that it wasn't. If it is, is it worth it?

Thats about alll I have for now. Any other comments would be great.

-Jared
Old November 27, 2002, 03:30 PM   #2
BusGunner007

Look here:
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...ar_stalker.htm
Check out the other BAR Rifles by clicking on the icon at the top right.

I have a 7400 Carbine in .30-06 and a BAR in 7mm Rem.Mag. w/BOSS-CR.
Two very different guns for different purposes for me.

The Remington is accurate enough and meant to be a versatile hunting gun. I will be switching to 150-gr. ammo to keep from pounding it to an early death. Also, a smaller scope is going on to keep it useful as the short and handy powerhouse it is.

The Browning was meant to be my nicest rifle, and it still is.
I like the 7mm Rem.Mag. and wanted the BOSS (correctly printed with periods as B.O.S.S., but that gets tiring!).
It is nicer overall than the 7400 and it's more accurate. Smoother, too.

If you got a .308 with sights, that would be a fine firearm.
If you opt for the BOSS, the new .300 WSM looks like it'll be around a while and would give you power with a capital 'P', plus the BOSS would tune it in to give you dead nuts on accuracy with your choice of ammo, not the rifle's choice. Something to think about.

If you're looking to have iron sights, then the BOSS is out.
A NIKON 2-7 scope would be a good fit and is a clear scope.
If you opt for the BOSS, any scope, large or small, can be your choice.
Mounting on a Weaver style base/rings would allow quick R&R of the scope. Weaver brand mounts/rings may not be the most aesthetic. Kwik-Site rings are good looking, though.

(check out the Beretta 1201FP shotgun for a 12-ga. autoloader that is a practical twin to the BAR in profile and operational characteristics re safety location and bolt closing button location...it's eerily similar. If I got the regular buttstock for my 1201FPG3, it would be fun that way.)
(Beretta 1201FP shotgun photo for profile comparison)
Old November 27, 2002, 09:15 PM   #3
Bullzye

The idea of having open sights and a scope is nice, but can you find rings that won't make you take your cheek too far off of the stock, I never could.

I just bought a .300 WSM in the Browning A-Bolt, and that is the greatest caliber I have found aside from the .308, more than enough power, and a suprisingly moderate recoil.
Beretta 96 SS
S&W 65-1, 685
Colt Delta Elite
Etc. Etc.
Old November 27, 2002, 10:38 PM   #4
Pvt. Joker

Thanks for the reply guys...

I was worried about the scope/sight problem. The 740 I used has the see through rings, and its hard to get a good cheek weld. It too has a 2-7 scope on it it. I think this is ideal for where I hunt. Most of the time under 100 yards, but the ocasional long shot. I used to think the more scope the better, but I am finally coming down off that bandwagon.

Now I need to decide if I want/need the B.O.S.S. (happy? ) or not. What is the difference between the B.O.S.S. and the B.O.S.S. CR?

I guess I am always worried about knocking the scope off, and missing the buck of a lifetime. How much force does it take to knock a good scope off? I was thinking along the lines of a Leupold. Any model suggestions?

As far as the shot gun, I've got a Browning Gold Hunter Auto with walnut, that would look killer sitting next to a BAR w/walnut.

I also like the idea of the .300 WSM, what is the recoil considerable to? 30.06? I am a bigger guy (6'4" 220lbs) so it shouldn't really be an issue.

Thanks guys! Off for four more days of gun hunting. Its the tail end of our 9 day hunt here in Wisconsin.

-Jared
Old November 27, 2002, 10:43 PM   #5
WYO

I don't have a dog in the hunt, but this was on the "for sale" forum a few days ago.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...hreadid=139595
Old November 27, 2002, 11:03 PM   #6
Bullzye

The Leupold is a fine choice, I use a vxII 3-9x40 on the rifle I spoke about.

I personally use Leupold rings and bases, and it would take a pretty good knock to take that scope off.

A friend of mine has a Browning A-bolt .270 and the recoil from my .300 wsm is comparable to that, the only noticable difference is after about a 25-30 rounds, you start to feel it in your shoulder, where as with the .270, you can shoot all day long. I am 6'1" 235 and I have absolutely no problem controlling it, excellent rifle, excellent cartridge.

Another thing to consider is that you are looking at the BAR, and that particular rifle in my experience has almost no recoil from a .308 or a 30-06, the .300 shouldn't be any worse.

Good luck, and let us know what you choose...
Beretta 96 SS
S&W 65-1, 685
Colt Delta Elite
Etc. Etc.
Old November 28, 2002, 12:13 AM   #7
BusGunner007

The thing about see-thru rings, besides putting the scope WAY up there, is all that weight is on the four screws and the two bases. I guess it could be my imagination, but, it seems that there is more chance of leveraging the whole unit off the top of the rifle than if it were all held by a 1-pc. base lower to the top of the action.

The 'C.R.' is a replacement unit for the B.O.S.S. (...periods put in for effect! ) MUZZLE BRAKE unit.
The C.R. stands for 'conventional recoil', i.e., still tunes the barrel vibrations without the attendant noise allowed by the holes in the other unit and therefore doesn't 'brake' the recoil.

Walnut stocks look excellent, especially in pairs.

Hey, you have a computer where you hunt?
Nice camp!

Good luck out there.
Old November 28, 2002, 04:16 PM   #8
106RR

I have a BAR in 270 WCF and the recoil is mild. You won't need a BOSS with a 308WCF. Any muzzle brake will damage your hearing permanently if you fire without plugs. If you rip off a fast string at a WI whitetail you are sure to be damaged.
The BAR is really accurate, well balanced and reliable.
Mike H
Old December 29, 2005, 09:43 AM   #9
catusbill

Bar .308 / Rem 7400

Saw your post and even though it quit old, I wanted to add something for interest. I purchased a Remington 7400 in .243 last year on impluse. I always want a auto loader for hunting varmints. It has manual sites and I mounted a see through set of rings and a Nikon 3-9 X 40 BuckMaster scope. Gun is a excellent three to five shot rifle for two or more coyotes.

My next want was a longer range knockdown rifle for larger game. I found a Browning BAR Black Lightweight Stalker in .308 and is it a excellent white tail and hogs rifle. Also, holds four plus one in the chamber for rapid fire when needed.

Now here's the kicker.

I not satified completely with either gun today. Just shot a friends Armalite AR-10A4 Flat Top in a .243 with a ten round magazine. Oh boy how sweet it is ! The 1 MOA is excellent for target and the fast action will allow you to pan for yotes on a dead run. And I mean dead. We shot two that where running away from us and hides are on the board.

If anyone is intersted the BAR it FOR SALE for $650 complete with 1" rings. NO SCOPE but will pay shipping & insurance to your FLL.

Last edited by catusbill; December 30, 2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old April 9, 2010, 11:53 AM   #10
koreytm

catusbill, do you still have a BAR .308 for sale? Please pm with details.

Thanks,
Korey
Old April 9, 2010, 02:20 PM   #11
crimsondave

BAR will be a much better gun than the Rem.

The trigger on most BARs is pretty crappy. (most auto loading hunting rifles are.) It's not heavy, but most have creap, which is really crappy. I'm thinking of sending mine to Bill Sprinfield for some trigger work.

Note: Don't let just any gunsmith work on your BAR trigger! Most of them won't touch it anyway.
Old April 9, 2010, 04:52 PM   #12
NWCP

My BAR is an old Belgium made .338 Win Mag. The trigger is nice and it shoots as well as I can, which means it likely shoots much better. It would be a comfortable rifle to shoot in .308. A Pachmayr Decelerator tames the .338 pretty well. I doubt it would be needed with the .308. The BAR is a sturdy well made rifle. It would make a fine hunting rifle if you're looking for a semi auto. JMHO
Old April 9, 2010, 10:27 PM   #13
Big-Foot

Korytm, I see that you are new to the forum. Welcome.

Cactusbill had that BAR for sale almost five years ago, worth a shot I guess. Good luck.

BTW Brownings site has a couple of new BAR models that CLAIM to weigh 6lb 1oz. Very nice if true. I've been waiting for them to catch the mistake but it's been several months now. Those new guns use the pre-Shortrack receiver like my 90's vintage Stalker, that's why I'm sceptical about the weights. Can anyone confirm or shoot down the claimed 6lb 1oz weights?

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...31&type_id=024
Old April 10, 2010, 01:13 PM   #14
BruceM

I think that the difference in PERCEIVED recoil between the .308 and and the .30-06 in a BAR is nil. The .30-06 will handle bullets heavier than 150 grains better than the .308. With 150 grain bullets, its a toss up. The advantage the .308 has in a bolt action over the .30-06 (short vs long action) is gone in the BAR. IMO, the BAR is a better and more accurate rifle than the Remington. Finally, ++1 on the no BOSS version. My .30-06 will shoot a little over 1" five shot groups @100 meters with ammo it likes without the BOSS and it's associated blast.

Instead of see-thru mounts, I have a set of Weaver tipoff mounts on my '06 M70 which snap into place and they absolutely DO hold zero. That said, my favorite scope is B&L ( now Bushnell) 1.5-6. At the low setting, it's better than iron sights. With 1 or 1.5 power, the magnification is so low and the FOV so big, you don't need iron sights. I used to do a lot of hunting IN, not on the edge of old overgrown aspen clear cuts (popple thickets) so I know. The 6 power magnification is more than enough for any range I feel I can hit with offhand in Wisconsin.

Bruce in SE Wisconsin

Last edited by BruceM; April 10, 2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old March 31, 2013, 08:36 PM   #15
Sub-moa

Browning BAR accuracy

I have (3) Browning BARs... a Safari Grade 7mm Mag, a Short-Trac Stalker.308 and a Short-Trac Stalker .270. The 7mm Mag has a B.O.S.S. (set at 6.5). I consistently get less than 3/4 MOA with the 7MM Mag, but get between 1.5" and 2" with the other two guns. My recommendation would be to get a B.O.S.S. if possible. All my guns have Leupold scopes. The Safari grade has a Leupold VX-III, 4.5x14x. The other two are Leupold VX-II, 3.5x10x. There are a couple of other variables that may come into play with the Safari grade versus the other two...slightly less weight, a little longer barrel. The result is a dead-on bone collector that shoots as well as a great bolt action with the benefit of quick followups and very soft kick (it is loud though).
I've been hunting for 38 years and have never knocked a scope bad enough to put it off center. I think the chance of anyone knocking their scope out is pretty slim, but I always have a spare gun just in case (chance favors the prepared). Even if it's a shotgun with slugs, it'll keep you in the game if the worse happens.
Old April 3, 2013, 10:11 AM   #16
cat9x

I'll add my 2cents. I've hunted with 3 different BAR's over the course of 18 years...MKI's w/out BOSS (308Win) and a MKII w/ a BOSS (270Win).

If you want the lightest recoiling configuration possible get the BOSS, mine is a pussycat with it. How good is the BOSS at tuning loads? The factory recommended sweet spot for my brand and bullet weight produced 2" groups, my own setting of "0" w/ microadjustment at "2" I consistently get groups under 1". So you have to play with it, but let the barrel cool. The downside to the BOSS, like others have pointed out, is the muzzle blast. It's pretty loud.

As others have pointed also, triggers are creepy. My MKI had a much better trigger than my MKII, but they all have creep.

And my personal opinion (and that's all it is) the BAR is a Cadillac compared to the Remington 7400...and that's coming from a Remington lover.

I've never shot one of the lightweight receiver models.
Old April 3, 2013, 10:22 AM   #17
globemaster3

Original thread from 2002, resurrected in 2005, 2010, and now 2013. Must have some energizer bunny in its lineage!

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old April 11, 2013, 12:56 AM   #18
Husqvarna

Fnar? Seems really cool

Check put the argo
Old April 18, 2013, 09:31 PM   #19
platform

a question to the OP

Quote:
I am a Browning Man by nature, so naturally I was really interested in the BAR.
Wanted to know if there is a blood or a urine test may be -- to find out if who I am by nature (and what test lab I should go to, and if it is covered by my soon to be had free medical insurance)

Old April 18, 2013, 10:58 PM   #20
new_camper

This thread started in 2002 lol.