The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2014, 12:26 AM   #1
Beagle333

Lyman 357446

This is a neat little plain base SWC that I cast today. It was my first time casting with this mold and at first I thought the sprue holes were going to be way too small to ever get any bullets out of the thing, as it appeared that the lead pooled up on the plate and then got sucked down into the hole, rather than me just flooding the hole like usual. But I had preheated it on my hotplate, and after only about 10 pours, it started filling out very nicely. These were 50/50 with 1% tin, ladle cast at 720 degrees. This one has rounded lube grooves and the corners aren't very sharp, so it doesn't need a lot of tin. But I was having great difficulty getting one cavity to release. I couldn't find anything wrong with it, as it was a brand new mold (found it still NIB in an estate sale) and was nice and shiny in the cavities, but one of them just held onto the bullet like a pit bull. So finally, after much aggravation, I resorted to something I have never done before. I smoked that one cavity. I am not a fan of it, nor do I ever recommend it, but in the absence of any mold release agent and I really wanted to cast a lot today, I smoked 'er up. That worked for about 10 pours, then I had to do it again. I got maybe 30-40 pours out of it then. After the 3rd smoking, I guess maybe I had gotten all the pores filled in the cavity or whatever was the problem and it worked until I finished. (I haven't counted, but I made two pie pans full of 'em.)
I hope it's "seasoned" now and I don't have to do that any more. The next time I use it, I'm going to take a very sharp pencil and "shade in" the cavity before I start heating the mold. That should work well. But I already had the mold hot today and didn't want to let it cool so I could scribble in it.
But anyway.... it is a very nice little SWC and it does have one peculiarity about it. It does not like to go slow. It is a very accurate bullet and fun to shoot, but it is not a plinker. I have gotten feedback from my friends who shoot this one too, and they agree..... light 'er up and make it fly if you want to see holes close together.

Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 20, 2014, 01:03 AM   #2
skizzums

how do they size? are they right at 357 diameter?
Old January 20, 2014, 05:39 AM   #3
Mike / Tx

Those are downright purty. I'll let ya know how the 477pours once I get it here and figure it out.

Oh and the MP 358156's I had a little issue with one cavity on it as well, but I think it was due to me trying to pour both HP's and Solids at the same time. I poured them at 765 with some blended alloy. I'll get to sizing them next weekend, and hopefully some loaded up over some Blue Dot to see how they shoot.

(Ok I fluff fingered the temp that I had there listed at 465 originally when it should have been 765. It has been corrected. Thanks there Beagle for pointing that out.)

Last edited by Mike / Tx; January 20, 2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old January 20, 2014, 08:15 AM   #4
Swampman1

Mike the MP 358156, I'm assuming that's 9mm? Is 156 the actual bullet weight? Or does it signify something else?
Old January 20, 2014, 09:06 AM   #5
PawPaw

Quote:
Mike the MP 358156, I'm assuming that's 9mm? Is 156 the actual bullet weight? Or does it signify something else?
The Lyman system tell us two things. The first three numbers (358) tells us the diameter. The second three numbers (156) tells us the reference number of the cherry that was used to make the mold. It has nothing to do with bullet weight.

Lee uses a different system. For example, the TL358158SWC tells us that it is a tumble-lube design (TL), that it has a diameter of .358 (358), that it weighs 158 grains (158) and that it is a semiwadcutter (SWC).

For example, the old Lyman 311041 is a .30-30 bullet that weighs nominally 170 grains. It throws a bullet of .311 diameter, is gas-checked, and is the 41st cherry design that they used to cut the mold.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 20, 2014, 09:45 AM   #6
Beagle333

I agree 100% with PawPaw. But with the case of Mike's MP 358156, it is a custom mold from MiHec and I believe it is a .360 mold. On many of the MP custom Group Buys, there are more than one size offered for the same number. The mold number in that case refers to the original Lyman profile that was copied, Although most times they tweak sizes and nose lengths.
For instance, there are some MP Group buy .45-70 molds that are offered in .460 and .462 and some .30 cal offered in .312 and .314 but they use the same number on the side. 'Confusing if you weren't the original buyer.
The MP 358156 was offered in both .358 and .360 as well.
They buy is closed, but here is a link.
original Group Buy for MP 358156

Skizzums, mine are dropping right at .358 with this alloy and temp. That would have been disappointing since they slide right through my .3585 sizer, but I'm going to PC them, so that'll add .002 to them and they'll be perfect when sized back down from .360
They also would have been perfect for somebody looking to size them down to .357 or .356 and use regular or tumble lube.
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; January 20, 2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old January 20, 2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Swampman1

Thanks guys, I'm more familiar with the Lee molds indicating the size and weight in the number. So basically, when someone starts a GB, the particulars of the resulting bullet for the mold is given?
Old January 20, 2014, 11:09 AM   #8
Beagle333

Yes. First a discussion is started, and anyone can start a discussion of a new bullet design, or re-run of an existing one, or clone of some popular one.
Then, if you get enough folks interested in the discussion, you can find/appoint a Honcho, find a custom maker who'll run it, and start an actual Group Buy. It will have all of the details, dimensions, pricing and options available in the GB and you can specify which ones you want in your mold when you sign up on the list.
But don't get in a rush. Some group buys take a couple of months and others take years. The custom mold maker will decide when and how many names he wants on the list before the mold is run, and sometimes you don't know what that magic number is, until you see a "This GB is closed!" pop up.
And some die in discussion. We have a really hard time keeping any discussion alive for a .270 mold. I haven't seen one move from discussion to GB status yet.
This particular 358156 took over two years from discussion to an actual mold being mailed out.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 20, 2014, 12:39 PM   #9
Swampman1

Quote:
First a discussion is started, and anyone can start a discussion of a new bullet design, or re-run of an existing one, or clone of some popular one.
Understood, good info. Is there a list of re-runs, or does a person basically have to go through each thread and find what he's looking for? Thanks.
Old January 20, 2014, 12:49 PM   #10
Beagle333

List of discussions about starting a GB

Some of them say "re-run" in the title.
Group Buys that are in progress of signing up people

And sometimes you have to open the thread to know if it's a re-run or a first-offering for a bullet.
Example of a re-run
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 20, 2014, 06:16 PM   #11
Mike / Tx

Swampman1,

I really don't think I could have put it any better than what is already there.

Those group buys get strung out from time to time, but once they make it to production, are shipped, and in your gubbie paws man they are nice and usually well worth the wait.

Oh and like Beagle pointed out mine is for my 38 and .357's and it dropped them right at .3595 from 10 of them I just grabbed up and checked. The alloy I used, or the temp I poured them at can also change the diameters a little. I'm not overly worried about it either way as long as the gas checks fit and squish on tight.

I'll find out next weekend for sure when I sit down a go to lubing and sizing them.
Old January 21, 2014, 09:38 PM   #12
GP100man

Beagle ,

As usual Lyman has changed the front driving band on the 357446 over time .
I have a few357446s in SC & 2 holers , here`s a pic of 2 of em & while the 1 with the small front band likes the gas pedal to the floor the wide band mold makes excellent plinkers for both the 357 & 38spc.

I`m `bout settled on all NOE`s designs ,especially the 358429 & the 360-180 rnfp. But I like "experimenting" with different molds & designs!!

Kinda like going to a good restraunt & ordering summtin different each vist!!

& My SC narrow banded 1 shot better at slower speeds after HPing it.

GP
Old January 26, 2014, 02:01 PM   #13
Beagle333

'Got em coated up and ready to ride now.

If this is your first visit to this forum, they are speckled because I don't bother to empty out the last color when I put new powder in the sprayer and it gets mixed.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 26, 2014, 04:19 PM   #14
GP100man

I like it !!!

Red metal flake for "hot" loads ???
Old January 27, 2014, 05:47 AM   #15
Mike / Tx

Quote:
I like it !!!

NO NO NO don't encourage him......he'll just start thinking they all have to be done like that.

I do have to admit though, I kinda like those myself....
Old January 27, 2014, 11:47 AM   #16
Beagle333

Too late!

Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; January 27, 2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old January 29, 2014, 10:51 PM   #17
Beagle333

But I don't coat everything. I'm snowed in now, so I can't spray. These got a dose of BAC and are ready for action in the 30-30 now.

And a nice stack of 311291s

My hi-tech machine in action:

Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; January 29, 2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old January 30, 2014, 09:14 PM   #18
GP100man

Looks good Beagle !

That ole 45 still has it !!!

We have all sleet & ICE , startin to melt ,but SSLLLOOOW !!

Salted the door steps twice , gave it 6hrs. & beat a layer off !!

GP
Old January 30, 2014, 10:15 PM   #19
LAH

This board is simply great.
Old January 30, 2014, 11:03 PM   #20
Beagle333

I hear ya, GP.
I used a lot of rock salt on the steps here too. I got 13 up to my front door. (steps, that is.)

I did run my new 452423s through the sizer as well while I was snowed in. These are cast in some really soft stuff for the Peacemaker.

And I found a bunch of old bullets in storage that had been lubed with Thompson Bear Cold Lube (which is green) but it was getting shrunken and cracked, and so I ran em through the Star at high pressure with some BAC (which is red), and it fills in the space and I get Christmas bullets!

(I really am ready to go back to work!! Is the blizzard over?)

Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 31, 2014, 07:10 PM   #21
Mike / Tx

HEY, HEY, HEY, you don't need to be putting excess wear and tear on that ol vintage iron there lubing up all those bullets. I can see the price dropping by dimes and quarters with each one of those nicely stacked up and lubed bullets there.

Man I finally got the heater back from Lyman for mine and now its like 70 here.

I just haven't had time to put it all back together or do anything else wise. But it's supposed to rain here this weekend so I will get something done up even if I have to send the sweetie shopping to do so.
Old January 31, 2014, 07:40 PM   #22
Beagle333

My heater is a little 50W spotlight bulb that I screwed into an adjustable neck desk lamp.
Have a Colt and a smile.