The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 24, 2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Kajun

What is good for new Rifle Shooter

I am looking at buying myself a nice rifle to shoot for fun, and eventually use it to teach my son to shoot with. I have primary used handguns so a rifle is rather new for me.

I was looking at a few and was wondering what some of your thoughts on them would be for my scenario.

Mossberg 702 Plankster or
Mossberg 802 Plankster
Savage Axis/Edge Model 64

Would these .22's be a good start or should we go up? Or is there something better?

thanks
Old July 24, 2012, 09:01 PM   #2
pabuckslayer08

22s are a great start point, very cheap to fire and super easy to shoot. Only other option is the .17 which has a little more range and punch to it but costs a little more. Still very easy to shoot.

I have a Marlin 22 that was 200 bucks and shoots very well for the price and I just have a cheapo scope on it, I also have a Savage 93R 17 and I added a Nikon Prostaff scope to it and for around 350 bucks for both it is awsome. Shoots quarters all day at 50 yards, its fun to shoot and it has the grunt to take groundhogs and other small game.

Now thats not to say the Mossberg weapons are no good, I know nothing about them, the Axis is a good choice also but Im not aware they make a Axis in a 22 cal but I could be wrong. Go check out Savages website and click on the 22 models and 17 models and see what fits your style. Then get a decent scope, dont get a real cheapo as they never hold true, spend a little money and get a decent Nikon or Leupold for 150 bucks or so for a 2x7
Old July 24, 2012, 09:28 PM   #3
10-96

I'm kind of partial to CZ's and Savages. However, whichever one you choose- I would humbly suggest going with a make/model that has iron sights. Sure, shooting and learning with a scope is fun, but learning the full art of shooting with scope, irons (sights), several different positions- all that adds up to more time learning and sharing time together with your son- and don't we all know how fast that time flies by!

You didn't say how old or big your son is, but a .22 of good quality will be something that can be cherished by his sons and grandsons. Like anything that's outgrown or feels cheap or does not perform well- a small cheap .22 can be left to... Forgive me, I can't think of the word, but it won't be taken care of as well as something with a nicer feel, quality, and performance.

My opinion- take a peek at the CZ 452 lineup such as the Military Trainer.

Whichever way you go, enjoy that time you have with your son. Take pictures, keep targets, and hold onto every moment of that time you can.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 25, 2012, 06:38 AM   #4
jehu

For the most fun and versatility I would recommend the Ruger 10/22.
Old July 25, 2012, 06:51 AM   #5
Nine the Ranger

I would say 10/22.

If nothing else you can customize it to the point of absurdity.
Old July 25, 2012, 06:57 AM   #6
house

Can't go wrong with the ruger 10/22.
Or a marlin 60 is also a good one.
Old July 25, 2012, 06:58 AM   #7
Sixgunn

Another vote here for a Ruger 10/22.
Old July 25, 2012, 09:51 AM   #8
mr.t7024

First rifle

Your choices are good for the price range,I would add the Marlin 795 and 60 to it some have already mentioned the 10-22. The CZ mentioned is a nice rifle but on the expensive side. My Favorite, my go to .22 is and will be the Marlin 60,just a great rifle and in my opinion more accurate. I have two 10-22 for sale. Cliff 978-424-7024. BTW Check them all out, you will know which one fits best!
Old July 25, 2012, 09:59 AM   #9
mnhntr

Savage 93 17hmr
Old July 25, 2012, 11:10 AM   #10
tahunua001

22s are a great starting point and cheap to boot. however I am not really a fan of bolt actions in 22lr. normally semi autos are cheaper than bolts and normally you will not have to reload as often.

a marlin model 60 can be found for under $150 brand new and are quite accurate as far as 22s go. the ruger 10/22 is another good one that is dead reliable but not quite as accurate as the marlin. the marlin 795 is the same gun as the model 60 only instead of a 14 round tube magazine, it has a 10 round box magazine for faster reloads and less weight. they normally run for the same price as the 60s if I recall correctly.
Old July 25, 2012, 11:27 AM   #11
chadio

Umm... not to offend anyone, but...

I personally wouldn't recommend a tube - fed rifle for new shooters. It isn't as easy to quickly unload and 'clear' the firearm.

A rifle with a detachable box magazine (be it a bolt gun or autoloader) is easily unloaded and 'cleared'.
Old July 25, 2012, 11:29 AM   #12
BigMikey76

I like my Marlin 795. It has been reliable and accurate, and it is just fun to shoot. My wife, my son and I all enjoy it quite a bit, and it is going to be the rifle that my son and I take out on our first rabbit/squirrel hunt this fall. It was also really inexpensive. They are usually around $150, but I got mine on sale for $100. With hunting season approaching, followed by Christmas, the sales should be ramping up soon, so keep your eyes open.
Old July 25, 2012, 12:31 PM   #13
stu925

Quote:
I am looking at buying myself a nice rifle to shoot for fun, and eventually use it to teach my son to shoot with.
I like the Ruger 10/22 for an adult, but for a kid it's going to be a bit big. I think you may have an issue in that any rifle that fits an adult likely will not fit a child. In that case I would buy a 10/22 or Marlin 60 for myself and a dedicated youth rifle for the boy when he's ready. I have owned both of those rifles ad either would be a great choice for an adult but I would opt for the 10/22 strictly for customization options later on. For the boy I'd look at a single shot bolt action rifle, I picked up a Marlin 15YN for my son ealier this year for about $75 and it shoots great, I've also heard good things about the cricket rifles. A good youth shooter rifle should be under $100.

Stu
Old July 25, 2012, 03:01 PM   #14
bigfatton

I can't recommend the Marlin 795 enough. It's cheap, often being on sale for as little as 100 bucks. It's a synthetic stock, so you're not going to be worried about scratching it up or whatever. And it's a great 22, magazines are cheap, it has iron sights, easy to put a scope on. Is it the best 22? by no means, but for this particular need? I say that it might just be the right gun for the job.
Old July 25, 2012, 06:18 PM   #15
10-96

I can't read the OP's mind, but folks... he posted in the Bolt, Lever, and Pump department, so I assume he may be looking for a Bolt, Lever, or Pump action .22 rifle.

Old July 25, 2012, 07:30 PM   #16
tahunua001

I believe that the OP also asked the question "is there something better?". for a starter rifle there are much cheaper and easier solutions than a bolt action rifle in the 22lr category.
Old July 25, 2012, 09:09 PM   #17
10-96

True.

Old July 25, 2012, 10:38 PM   #18
bigfatton

OP also listed 3 examples, 2 of which were autoloaders, so I stand by my recommendation. It's so easy to be negative...