The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 13, 1999, 03:10 PM   #1
Cat

Perhaps you can answer a question that was asked of me recently. I shoot an old S&W Model 39-2. I was asked if that was the pistol that was used by the U.S. Navy SEALs in the '60s. It could have been as far as I know, but do you know for sure?
Cat
Old August 14, 1999, 01:17 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

The Seals did have a modified S&W M39 based on the steel frame version of the gun. It had higher sights (higher and uglier than the protective ears on the 4506) so as to look over the suppressor (about 5" long, slightly under 2" in diameter), a modified slide stop which served as a locking mechanism to keep the slide from cycling (hush hush). The latter was held on by a castle nut. Supposedly it was used to kill dogs (hence the nickname, "Hushpuppy"). An experimental version built on the higher capacity (evil evil evil) M59 was also built.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old August 14, 1999, 08:56 PM   #3
Cat

4V50 Gary, thank you for the information. I had never heard about this before. It's amazing what you can find out if you get in touch with the right people.
Cat