The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old February 20, 2010, 04:40 AM   #26
Tuzo

Yummy camel

Lived in Kazakhstan for awhile and ate camel meat and tried camel milk. Camel meat is delicious. The milk had a fresh taste with no fatty cow milk film left in the mouth. Kazakhs ranch camel the way Americans ranch horses and cattle.

A poster commented on the smelliness of camel meat. Fresh camel meat does not have an offensive smell at all, it is rather neutral. But, I will swear that the world's worst animal smell is a live camel 1 kilometer upwind of your nose.
Old February 20, 2010, 06:33 AM   #27
Uncle Buck

Back in '96, while on temporary duty in Saudi Arabia, we got a new Lieutenant in the unit. On the way back to the compound we passed a camel herd running in the desert. One of the camels had a blue rag or sash tied around it's hind quarters.

The Lt asked me what the rag was for. (I did not have a clue. The only thing I knew about camels were they stunk and are uglier than my sister-in-law!) I told him it was a form of birth control used by the Bedouins and what happened was when the camel went to mount the female, the sash slid down his hind quarters, covering his penis so it would prevent the copulation.

About a week later the site commander came up to me and asked where in the heck I got the story about the camel birth control? Apparently our young Lt was in a meeting when a visiting colonel asked about a camel he saw with the rag on its' backside and the Lt immediately impressed the colonel with his understanding of local animal birth control.

I told the commander I had made it up on the drive in and did not have a clue. I told him that from my training I thought NCO's were supposed to have an answer for officers when they asked a question. He said "Yeah, but you better have the truthful answer for me when I ask you a question."

I never did find out what the rag/sash tied around the camels back quarters really was for, but seeing the subject made me smile and think of our lieutenant.
Old February 20, 2010, 09:09 AM   #28
Suwannee Tim

The trouble with camels is they are like sponges. Except for the hump they are all air. Ever try to kill a sponge? What kind of gun is used to hunt sponges? Now I know, live sponges are filled with water, not air but the principle is the same.

When I was a youngster we tried hunting manatees. Didn't work. Dogs drowned.
Old February 20, 2010, 11:31 AM   #29
kaylorinhi

Make it challenging, use a two person camel costume and a .500 S&W!
Old February 20, 2010, 06:19 PM   #30
BGutzman

Quote:
The trouble with camels is they are like sponges. Except for the hump they are all air. Ever try to kill a sponge? What kind of gun is used to hunt sponges? Now I know, live sponges are filled with water, not air but the principle is the same.
I must say I had a good laugh at this one!
Old February 20, 2010, 08:31 PM   #31
80viking

"Make it challenging, use a two person camel costume and a .500 S&W!"

Bear Grills had a nice camel costume.
Old February 22, 2010, 05:06 PM   #32
Big Bill

Quote:
Bear Grills had a nice camel costume.
He's got to be the BACK end of that camel suit - right?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Closed Thread